Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 23 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by Butterflyshrimp Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:23 pm

@Genki - Thanks.  Was having a few problems with my old computer.  I could only look at pictures and post them.  Took way too much time to type (the words wouldn't show up and it was very s.l.o.w, so bought a new computer).  Got it plugged up last night but everything  is different on it, so I'm back to square one again.  Out of the frying pan into the fire! lol  This computer has a lot more memory/space but I'm trying to figure out where (& what) everything is.  Totally different from what I'm used to.  I'll learn though & I 'can' type again now!       Happy bounce  (You could feel 'sorry' for me & give me a Hershey's candy bar like you had last week).  I'm fainting from lack of chocolate..see.     faints    Hershey's....Hersheys....

@DJ - I went back to BF after I posted here last and the priview's were 'thankfully' back.  I must have been suffering from 'lack of dark chocolate candy bar syndrome', so its all Genki's fault.    Belly laugh    Things are fine with the previews now though.  I 'do' understand about your sisters computer.  They are complicated...and things are invisible.  I'm finding things I've never seen before, nor know what they are or what they do.     Hmm...
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Yes indeed, Butterfly. Chocolate always makes things better! Well, it works for me, anyways. My sister & I went shopping earlier this morning. We both got a huge bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Trees, and it even had the white chocolate peanut butter trees! (I love white chocolate!)

Oh heck, who am I fooling? I like any kind of chocolate! I don't partake often, though! imatruffle
    snapnhiss
    snapnhiss

Post by snapnhiss Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:35 pm

djrum wrote:Hope everybody had a spooky Halloween! Well, not too spooky!

I have finished Paranormal State: Poison Spring and I have to say, I enjoyed it very much. Despite numerous spelling errors and "item" sound FX in the interactive HO scenes (I don't know why devs do this!), the visuals were D&E and the ambient scary sound effects fit the game nicely.
    An interesting storyline and good puzzles (no skips for me, yay!) made this game well worth a PCC!
    I've never watched the show, so don't know how the game compares to it.

I also finished the beta for The Secret Order: Ancient Times. Me, I love the series and have played the first & second games. Ancient Times wowed me with absolutely gorgeous cut-scenes and I will purchase when released.
    I saw someone mention that Poison Spring was available as a CE so I bought it at http://www.legacygames.com/ for $13.95.  Surprisingly good game.  I like the goofy sound effects, there was one during a hidden object scene where you uncovered a creepy doll's face and it screamed.  Startled me a little and then made me laugh.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Butterfly, you didn't mention which version of Windows you're running, but here are some useful programs:

Just follow the links to get more info about what they are and why they're useful:

Ad-Block Plus - This is a browser add-on, and will block pop-ups... including the ads at the top of GGG!  I never see them (and usually forget that we have them here) because of this lovely addition!
    AVG Anti-virus
    CCleaner
    HDD Health
    Malwarebytes

These are the ones I consider must-haves.
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 pm

genkicoll wrote:Butterfly, you didn't mention which version of Windows you're running, but here are some useful programs:

Just follow the links to get more info about what they are and why they're useful:

Ad-Block Plus - This is a browser add-on, and will block pop-ups... including the ads at the top of GGG!  I never see them (and usually forget that we have them here) because of this lovely addition!
    AVG Anti-virus
    CCleaner
    HDD Health
    Malwarebytes

These are the ones I consider must-haves.
    Thanks Genki. I now have Super Anti Spyware, Maleware Bytes and CC Cleaner (so far).  I've heard of AVG Anti-virus before but haven't heard of HDD Health or Ad-Block Plus.  I purchased a 2013 Dell 2007 Windows 660 Inspiron & stayed away from the 2008 Windows. It has a lot more memory than my old one did & was one thing I was interested in.  It throws me off for things 'not' to be where I'm used to them being. One good thing, I still had my Office/Word Software from 2007/2008, can still use it, & am happy about that.

@DJ - I've never heard of Reese's Peanut Butter trees. I did have a few Reece Cups last night, but it just wasn't the same as having dark chocolate...like in Brownies & Hershey's dark chocolate candy bars. lol    Whistle  I like white chocolate too, but mainly stick to dark chocolate.  I had three Fiber One Chocolate Fudge Brownies today for a total of 270 calories.  Yep, still eating them & still love them. OMGosh but they are delicious!   Yahoo!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Oh, I'm sorry!  I forgot your chocolate!  Here you go Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 23 20101017925571

By the way, HDD Health is not on my list of MUST-haves, I forgot to remove that one.
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:57 pm

genkicoll wrote:Oh, I'm sorry!  I forgot your chocolate!  Here you go Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 23 20101017925571

By the way, HDD Health is not on my list of MUST-haves, I forgot to remove that one.
    @Genki - I was wondering if you were ever gonna bite or not..about the candy bar. lol   That's the one...it looks exactly like a Hershey's Chocolate candy bar to me.  I've thought about that candy bar almost every day since you first used your Avatar & wanted to reach out & grab it through the screen!  Just think, lightly melt that over a chocolate fudge brownie....I can sleep now!  Thank You!     Offering

@DJ - I could also use a few pieces of your white chocolate also.    Happy bounce   Just pour chocolate over me & I'd turn into a cannibal I think.  (I might need to borrow your 'chocolate emoticon' too.)     devilish grin
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:02 pm

lol, help yourself, Butterfly. I have plenty of candy to go around!

I was on Facebook last night and noticed on BFG's page they've started the MCF Speculation thread. I think it's on the MCF page and I'm tellin' ya, it's not the same. For one, most of us know what the game will be and a lot of people have already demo'd it, so no secret there.
    The biggest reason is, there is no CCC anymore & since I don't recognize the posters, I have zero desire to read the thread, plain & simple.

For me, I think the most anticipated MCF was Dire Grove. I could not wait for it to be released! I got all my baking done the night before...and waited 4 hours for the download (DSL) the morning of.
    DH and I went to dinner at a friend's house, and I hate to say it, but all I could think about was getting back home so I could play.
    Oh, I'm so awful, I know. Did I mention I'm addicted to games? Huh?
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:18 pm

lol, snapnhiss! I had a few startle FX in Paranormal State. And I'm getting quite used to them now. Every once in awhile, though, I can still be startled.

The worst one for me was in Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials. I actually jumped out of my seat on that one, scared me half to death. Gosh, I love that game!! I think I'll replay it & maybe try to find all of my clovers.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 am

I used the PUMPKIN Code and it still works  (so glad this was pointed out earlier!!)
    I bought Dark Canvas-which I really liked, and got my extra punch.

I finished playing Sea Legends  (if I got the name wrong,   Whistle  you go against Davy Jones
    and save Caliope).     I  really enjoyed that game,  especially with the storyline being
    a bit different from the usual.

I am also doing the group play of Agatha Christie's  And Then There Were None.
    I started playing it about 3 or 4 years ago,  but never finished it as I was new to
    LF and just wasen't as patient or experienced as I am now     Huh?    

Well, at least now I won't be alone in my wandering around.

Hope everyone is doing well and will stop in later after work.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 am

I demo'd Greed: The Mad Scientist and enjoyed what I played, so I got it with a PCC.

Today's game, Lost Civilization (correct title?) looks interesting, also. No forum for it yet, but I think I'll go and demo.
    I love it when I can use my PCCs on games that weren't formerly CEs!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 am

The forum for Lost Civilization is now up and this game is a re-release of NiBiRu? IIRC, NiBiRu was a LFA (that I never played).
    What the heck?????? Huh?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am

WHAT?? Shock  Seriously?  So they've released it as an IHOG now?

Yes, NiBiRu is a true adventure game, and still available at BF.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 am

Yes, I reckon so, Genki!

I d/l'ed the demo and a pop-up came on the screen wanting me to "change or repair" Microsoft CC+ or something (I thought I already did that on another game). I hit cancel and was able to play the demo.
    I did come across a hidden object scene.

I don't know if the game is a continuation of NiBiRu (like a Part 2) or if it's the original game made into a HOPA.
    I didn't buy it because of that CC+ thing & knowing my luck, after I purchased, I would run into a technical glitch.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm

I got that Microsoft CC+ message too but technical idiot that I am, I didn't realize it had to do with downloading the demo Rolling Eyes. I chose 'repair' because... well I don't know why, lol.

Haven't played the demo yet, but the characters' names are not the same as NiBiRu (which I remember well). Will be curious to see what this is about.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 pm

The credits in Lost Civilization said "Original Concept by Future Games," and FG are the ones who developed NiBiRu.

Whenever the Microsoft CC+ thingy comes up, I just choose Repair.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Huh, according to the forum page this seems to be a section of NiBiRu, jazzed up to include HO scenes. Don't know if that's true yet but some people went on to say the original NiBiRu has disappeared as an accessible game from their Purchases list which would certainly be wrong of BFG (!); however, it's still listed as a purchased game for me so I don't know what that's all about. Yeah right
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Played the demo. My comments here but essentially it is an uninspired dumbed down retelling of the NiBiRu story with the addition of pointless easy HOs. Sadly not worth playing, imo.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:34 am

R-Mom--thanks for the heads up on Lost Civilization.  I dl/d it but just haven't played
    it.   Now I won't bother.

Just played demo of MOTW 2.    Sorry,  but the first one, to me, was way more interesting,
    both story wise and  setting.
    This one,  you are fighting against another Ice Queen,   Rolling Eyes  leave the animal caught in the
    trap while you make soup for the smithy who is supposedly taking a nap, then  gather
    stuff he needs.    
    I just not in the mood for this right now   meh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 am

Oh darn! I was hoping Myths of the World 2 would be as good or better than the first one. I don't have time to demo yet, but I will get to it later.

I know Crooked Man and the Crooked Cat (correct title?, it's the other CE due out this week) will most certainly be a buy for me because it's from Blue Tea Games and that's all I need to know.

I just finished Web of Deceit: Deadly Sands and I thought it was good, but gosh, some of the puzzles were kind of hard. The first puzzle I skipped was a "Arrange the numbers in the grid to obtain a certain total." I usually like these puzzles...I had numbers going every which way & there was always one or two rows where I was off. I couldn't figure out where I'd went wrong.
    It really bums me out when I have to skip a puzzle, but after the first skip...I have no qualms about skipping other puzzles not to my liking.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

I just got around to playing the Bad Omen demo. I don't think it had a very big budget but it certainly made up for it in creepiness. In fact the creepiness even had a camp factor (a la Japanese horror films) which I quite enjoyed. In some ways it reminded me of the Campfire Legends: Hookman game, although it was darker than that. I liked it!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Ooooh, Japanese horror films? It should rate high on the creep-o-meter then, lol! Sounds good to me & I wish it would come out already!

I'd rather play a low-budget good game than a high-budget crappy game any day of the week! Big smile
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 am

Exactly! This one sure kept my attention Shock  (though the demo was only 10% of the game so I've no idea how good the rest of it is). I'll definitely buy it if/when it's released.

Last edited by RenaissanceMom on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:52 am

I watched part of a gameplay video on youtube of Bad Omen. I got the creeps just watching the video!
    I really hope the game arrives in its original form...but I'm not holding my breath it will.

I read a posting on BFG's fb page, someone was complaining (again, *sigh*) about all the dark & gory games recently released...evidently, they must not have demo'd any games in the last few weeks.
    By my calculations, most of the releases have been fantasy/fairytale games.
    Which reminds me, I demo'd Myths of the World 2 and I don't think I'll be getting it. We do have a cute, furry helper & we get to dress him/her up...geesh.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:18 pm

<sigh> Gone are the days of unisex casual gaming. Seems like marketers think we're all gooey females who want to dress up cutesy critters and - of course - shop for them. What next, games about Barbies and Disney princesses?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:55 pm