Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 19 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by djrum Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:06 am

In Dark Sisterhood, I had a dead Hint button.

The TGT at BFG is Haunted Hotel 4 or 5 (whichever is the newest one). With Elephant Games taking over the reins, I'm curious to see what kind of job they did.
    Truthfully, I don't think it's going to compare to Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward. That game was awesomely D&E with a frightening storyline and appropriate sound FX...had me looking over my shoulder many times, to make sure nothing was creeping up behind me.
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:51 pm

djrum wrote:Butterfly, out of all the games you mentioned--

Questerium: Sinister Trinity...I have it, but haven't played yet.

Dark Sisterhood: The Initiation...I had tech problems in the demo.

Echoes of the Past: Kingdom of Despair...loved it! The best in the series!

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink...good, kind of a steam-punk game.

Into the Haze...I'm still debating on whether I want to get it.

Has Hondo ever posted his Highlights yet? Geesh, I'm getting tired of waiting. I'll go check.
    Thanks DJ - Will probably use a PCC on Questerium; Dark Sisterhood and Echoes of the Past.  Have passed on Echoes of the Past: Kingdom of Despair several times waiting for a second opinion. Your opinion is good enough for me! Double punch Monday I plan to get it.   Happy bounce
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 pm

luvtoread wrote:Morning,  everyone.   Been reading posts,  trying to keep up.

BFS-  I used a pcc for Questruim:  Sinister Trinity.   I knew I would get it while playing the
    demo.   You have to rescue 2 children,  who have not been evacuated,   from an "electric
    man"--what I call him.      I am getting a kick out of the actor playing the "evil scientist".    Evil Grin

Dark Sisterhood-  The Initiation.    I had no problems with demo--not sure why dj did.
    It is not full screen--at least not for me.    But to be honest,  I don't even notice after
    awhile   (tho I know it bugs other people).     The storyline is set  back in the witch hunting
    era and I think they do a good job with that story.   The graphics are crisp-probably for me
    the reason I can immerse myself in the game and forget about lack of full screen.
    Its a definite buy for me as I want to find out what is going on with the little girl.

I did get  Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines for the   DD  at BF yesterday.   

Also,   did you know  that  Steam has a free to play game called "Cry of Fear"?   I have it
    dl/d,   but have yet to play.

Well,   off to work.....I need to find a school bus driving emoticon.....dirtywords    (this will do for those who cut me off
    or pass my red  lights!)

@Hi luvto
    ! So good to talk to you again!  Thanks for the info on the games.  Plan on picking up Questrium Monday with Echoes from the Past.  Dark Sisterhood reminds me of two witch games from BF I have on disk that were very good (can't remember their names).   Rolling Eyes    I do wish Dark Sisterhood had full screen though.  My eyesight isn't what it used to be.  I have Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines and think you will enjoy it. 

I haven't heard of 'Cry of Fear'.  I've never bought any games except at BF.  It does interest me though. Yahoo! 

Good luck on your emoticon hunt for a school bus!    Smile
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:17 pm

@Genki - I did it!   Happy bounce  I followed your instructions & it took a long time, but I finally got it accepted. Had to do work-arounds and go through back doors,  but finally did it.  THANK YOU!   Offering

Oops!   I didn't do such a good job after all.  I just noticed, the Avatar is supposed to be morphing & its not!   Overreaction
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Oh, Butterfly, I love your Avatar! It's very pretty!

Well, I caved and got Haunted Hotel: Eclipse. I'm tellin' ya, based on the demo, it isn't anywhere near as creepy as HH: CDW. I'm going to give Elephant the benefit of the doubt & see if I enjoy it. (The detective, James, looks like he could be Dupin's brother)
    Ahem... since they are doing the next MCF...cough...I want to be prepared...for joy or sorrow, I'm not sure.

I also had a beta for Otherworld: Shades of Fall, which I thought was a very good game with absolutely no tech issues at all!!!
    When filling out the beta survey, I noticed a couple of new questions, one was "What device do you play games on?" and the other was these 4 icons and I had to pick which icon I was most drawn to.
    I noticed another survey in my e-mail from BFG and I filled it out, too. Sorry, BFG, I don't play Free-to-Play games & I'm on a PC.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 pm

DJ, I really loved HH: CDW but the latest HH didn't pull me in at all. Now I see it's Elephant which kinda explains things for me. They are so samey these days; at least I think so. I'm a bit sad they're doing the next MCF, though anyway BFG isn't what it used to be so I'm hardly surprised.
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm

djrum wrote:Oh, Butterfly, I love your Avatar! It's very pretty!

Well, I caved and got Haunted Hotel: Eclipse. I'm tellin' ya, based on the demo, it isn't anywhere near as creepy as HH: CDW. I'm going to give Elephant the benefit of the doubt & see if I enjoy it. (The detective, James, looks like he could be Dupin's brother)
    Ahem... since they are doing the next MCF...cough...I want to be prepared...for joy or sorrow, I'm not sure.

I also had a beta for Otherworld: Shades of Fall, which I thought was a very good game with absolutely no tech issues at all!!!
    When filling out the beta survey, I noticed a couple of new questions, one was "What device do you play games on?" and the other was these 4 icons and I had to pick which icon I was most drawn to.
    I noticed another survey in my e-mail from BFG and I filled it out, too. Sorry, BFG, I don't play Free-to-Play games & I'm on a PC.

Thanks DJ
    but I don't know why its not 'changing'. Its animated & is supposed to change from a wolf to a werewolf.  Am using the same picture at another site and it's animated there.  Will have to ask Genki again to see what I've done wrong.  I do know how to change the Avatars & insert them now though, so hopefully I won't have to bother her again after this time.  I have other pictures that are animated, &  if they won't 'change' here, I'll know to use different ones.  If you want to be 'Madam Fate' (Fortune Teller, Witch, Queen, Mermaid, or whatever...let me know & I'll find a picture for you & if you like it, try to help you if you ever want to change your Avatar.  Just let me know & I'll be glad to. (I printed Genki's instructions & will keep them in a safe place).  Avatars are inserted differently here than the other site I'm at.

DJ...your weak...but I am too if its a game I really want, so I'm 'weak' also & we're two of a kind! lol  Haunted Hotel: Eclipse sounds good. I'll have to wait until later to try it though.  (Then you can let me know how good it really is)!  Otherworld:  Shades of Fall sounds very interesting and one to look forward to!    Happy bounce 

I haven't received an email from BF (yet) about Free-to-Play games but I don't play them either. I only buy & play games "I" like. I 'don't' like BF putting games on my computer I didn't download myself though.  So far that's only happened one time & hope its the last.

Hope you have a great day today!    Sunny
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:30 am

lol, Butterfly, yes I am weak! And I also have this fear they're going to quit making casual games.

I know a lot of these games have a "Been there, done that" feel, and I think, after this many years, it would be hard for the developers to come up with an original storyline every single time, or even half the time, really.
    So for me, keeping that in mind when I do a demo, it's a brand-spanking-new game and I've never played another one like it.
    I have to be this way or else I would never buy any more games. When I go into a "game funk", I think it's because of my attitude towards all of the cookie-cutter games. I know I need to take a little break then (maybe get some fresh air), before I can resume playing.
    The good thing about not finishing a game in one sitting is, I don't get game-overload often. 
    But that's just me. Big smile
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:54 am

Oh, the survey from BFG was a Customer Survey, in which I rated BFG with high marks, in the casual games dept., ease of use, etc. (like I always do)
    The survey did ask on what device do I play games on, do I go to a "social" site to play games and other questions pertaining to that.
    Also, do I play any Free-to-Play games.
    I do go to Facebook to play SongPop, and that's it. If it wasn't for SongPop, I wouldn't even go on fb. None of that crap there interests me and I'm relatively sure it's filled with spyware, malware, and all kinds of bad things. I already know it's ad-heavy.

I'm still a bit peeved at BFG for doing away with CCC, and they didn't get ALL high marks from me. And the shutting down didn't bother me as much as the way it was done. It was just plain wrong on so many levels.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:27 am

Well,  I have to agree.   HH: CDW  is way creepier than HH: Eclipse.   I am not overwhelmed with it, and I am getting annoyed with the bad guys just standing around waiting for me to defeat them.      Also, for some reason,  the Doc who is my partner just rubs me the wrong
    way.    "Can you get my medical bag for me while I watch over this distressed damsel"    flutter eyelashes 
    Stupid bag is right behind him.   
    "I will look around outside while you go in the house filled with monsters"     Yeah right 
    Oh well,   I know I will find 2 CE's to buy....maybe.  

I am really enjoying Committed to Shady Pines a lot.   And that is an SE.    That Demented Doc does not wait around for me.  Belly laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 am

Aw heck, luvtoread, you know men can't find anything!

I was going to demo the TGT (something Mont Trist) but way too many tech issues. It doesn't look like I'll be participating in the two-fer sale at BFG.

I liked Shady Pines, too!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:40 am

dj   That's true...I wanted to smack him with his bag.    Okay
    I do want Enigmatis 2.   Just need to figure out what to pair it up with.

BFS..If you are reading this,  I wanted to mention to you about  Questerium: Sinister
    Trinity.
    I highly recommend you try it.   For a SE,  it has achievements and stuff to find,  like
    money and plants.    The story is good.  With this 2 for 1 sale,   if you find another
    SE it would be worth it.   

Unless you already have it.    In that case,  enjoy.

I finished Sinister goings on at Shady Pines.   I did figure out about the Doctor before the character did.
    Just couldn't figure out why she would tell the world about it.   After all,   it would affect the little girl.
    Oh well.   Good game.
    The only thing I didn't like was having to refer to the map so often as you would be in one spot and have to go all the
    way back to do a HO.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:03 am

Oh good! I have Questerium. It's not often we get a good SE that wasn't formerly a CE.

I'm playing Surface: The Pantheon. I'm not very far yet, I just installed it last night.

I'm also replaying MCF: Dire Grove & I've noticed, it's an awesome game for an older game! There's no interaction in the HO scenes, already found objects are placed back into the scene and I have to find them again...and it doesn't bother me one bit because the storyline is so eerie & creepy.
    Ahhh, these good old games, I sure do miss them!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Dire Grove was one of the first games I bought from Big Fish. Heart
    I haven't played it for a few years but it's nice to know it's just as satisfying!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:20 pm

So, I'm playing Surface: The Pantheon and get this, I'm now packing the scientist dude around in my inventory. Yep, I looked down and there he was!! Talk about useless, geesh.
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:54 pm

luvtoread wrote:dj   That's true...I wanted to smack him with his bag.    Okay
    I do want Enigmatis 2.   Just need to figure out what to pair it up with.

BFS..If you are reading this,  I wanted to mention to you about  Questerium: Sinister
    Trinity.
    I highly recommend you try it.   For a SE,  it has achievements and stuff to find,  like
    money and plants.    The story is good.  With this 2 for 1 sale,   if you find another
    SE it would be worth it.   

Unless you already have it.    In that case,  enjoy.

I finished Sinister goings on at Shady Pines.   I did figure out about the Doctor before the character did.
    Just couldn't figure out why she would tell the world about it.   After all,   it would affect the little girl.
    Oh well.   Good game.
    The only thing I didn't like was having to refer to the map so often as you would be in one spot and have to go all the
    way back to do a HO.
    @HI luvto - You will 'flip' over Enigmatis 2.  If you don't have Riddles of Fate:  Wild Hunt, I really liked that game too & rated it 4 Stars easy.  Glad you enjoyed Shady Pines.  Happy bounce 

I plan on getting Questerium: Sinister Trinity and  Echoes of the Past: Kingdom of Despair Monday with PCC's.  I 'weakened' today & got 2 CE's. One was about a ruby and the other a Haunted Hotel but can't remember their names.  That's not good when you buy two games & can't even remember their names right after you bought them!   Embarrassed

If everyone is wondering why my Avatar keeps 'changing', I'm 'still' trying to get it to morph.  Haven't figured out how yet. Genki gave me excellent instructions, but I can only get the picture with no animation.  I've tried for hours, reduced its size 3 times, downloaded & uploaded it 3 times from 2 different sites, but it just won't morph here.   There goes my other 'animated' Avatars unless I can get it figured out.  I think I'm close, but still don't understand why it refuses to morph.    Tantrum   I can change an Avartar here now in my sleep though. lol  Drat...I had some really good animated D&E pictures picked out to use here.

@Hi DJ - The reason 'we' have to find everything at home is because we are detectives, have ESP, can see into the past, & know where our DH's put things 20 + years ago (even though we have no idea what it is they're looking for, what it is, or what it looks like)!  And where is it found...the place 'they' had it last & put it!  It drives me nuts to look for things I don't know what they are..much less what they look like!      Stars
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:59 pm

RenaissanceMom wrote:Dire Grove was one of the first games I bought from Big Fish. Heart
    I haven't played it for a few years but it's nice to know it's just as satisfying!
    @Hi RMOM - Good to see you.  I loved Dire Grove too & have it on a disc (with Scratches, Ravenhurst, RTR, & a bunch more).  I know I'll get to keep those!  Hope you had a good day today.   Offering
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:53 am

Dire Grove is the tops in scary.   Playing in the dark makes it more so  OH!

I just finished  Questerium   (must look up that word and see what it means).booklover 

For a SE,  you really get your money's  worth.   I did not get all the achievements.   I thought I would
    but I think I missed some at the very beginning of game.    HINT:   If you do get all the secrets,  that
    does not mean you collected all the money.
    Finding those secrets was not easy.     Lots of clicking around to do.
    The map is very helpful and also transports you.

I know there is another  "plants taking over the town"  game  (must look that up, too) and I remember
    dj and I enjoying it.      videogaming 
    Some tough puzzles  (at least for me--I had to Skip the one with the "flip till all lights are green" as I
    detest those  when I realise no matter what I flip I will not get it) .

You can use the money to pretty up a garden and get the achievement for that.    I enjoy it as I do not have
    a green thumb in real life.  

I definitely recommend it.     Wish I had taken some screenshots   D\\'oh!

OK--Name of the other plant game was Natural Threat 2.    There is a difference with Questrium, though.
    Which by the way,  I cannot find a definition for.     So....who came up with that name?   Huh?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:03 pm

luvto, in my humble opinion, there will never be a game that matches Dire Grove for sheer awesomeness. It will always be my number one favorite game!Wub 

Right now I'm still working my way through MM: Witches of Abraham and am loving it. I have a super soft spot for this series since the first HOG I played was their Poe game. I've been hooked ever since. The new devs have done it right and this game feels like a long-lost friend. I've been taking my time, collecting my clovers and ravens and just enjoying it to pieces. It even made me jump in a few spots! (If you've played it, you probably know what I mean.) I am finding this far superior to the Houdini one which left me disappointed and underwhelmed. 

I've also played a few rounds of Zombie Solitaire which is a complete hoot! I'd recommend them both!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Yay, Butterfly, you did it!! I love it!!

I feel the same way about MM: Witches of Abraham. IMHO, the new developers did a fine job (I did read the credits and John Newcomer was a consultant. He did MM: SWT). I really liked MM: Haunted Houdini, also.

I'm playing Zombie Solitaire, too! As my in-between games game, I'm highly enjoying it! One thing I would've liked to see is an "Undo" button. I catch myself making mistakes all the time.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:08 am

Check out THIS bombshell... OH!

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 19 O9fj
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:05 pm

I just did a Beta for Artifax Mundi-Toymaker     I could not finish it,  I was so bored.   

Maybe it got better later,   but I just couldn't stick it out to find out.    The premise is good.
    You are a Sherlock   who is being tested by Toymaker to find out who is killing young women.
    Of course,   he says its your fault others will suffer if you fail   (why can't people take responsibility for their own actions   Rolling Eyes  )    Sounds good?    Well,  to find clues,  you go to
    a board in your office with a map,  click on a location,  do a HO,  get his gift....a ballerina
    box.   Go back to the board,   click on the next location,   do a HO,   get leg of ballerina,   click on another location,  do HO,  get arm,   guess what you do next?    Hmm... 

You finally put ballerina together,  to get a video tape,   then back to board to click on
    a location  (which I am told  points to the ex-boyfriend,  who is a medical student--so why would he be  stupid enough to point clues to himself and kill other girls besides his ex?)
    I called it quits at this point.
    Did the survey,   which won't  make much of a difference,  unless others feel like me.
    If any of you get this beta  and stick it out,   can you let me know if it gets better?
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm

OMG sounds so silly! Why the ballerina...and in bits and pieces?! Yeah right
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:08 am

Hi all D&E'rs.   It's getting very close to 'that' time of year!   Scream   Happy bounce

Has anyone played the Otherworld Series?  I just checked and there's not one single review for 'any' of the games.  They sound interesting & think they are Adventure/HOS.   If anyone has played them, please let me know if they are good games. I'd appreciate it very much.  Thanks everyone.     Half Flower   

@DJ - Stop eating the Halloween candy!  I know you are ( + Twinkies) cause I am too & 'always' do that every year.    Belly laugh

@Genki - Love the Halloween emoticons!  Great job!  Thank you!      Okay
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:32 am

RenaissanceMom wrote:OMG sounds so silly! Why the ballerina...and in bits and pieces?! Yeah right
    So you can open the box,  to get the next "clue"......I really got bored  G\'night!   

BFS....I really did like the first Otherworld.  There was something about it that drew me right in.
    The second one was OK,  but didn't give me that "got to buy" as the first.  Second one seemed
    average.     This third one I just demoed  and I will be buying in the future.     It seems to be going
    back to the first one,  with  the changing of the scenes...or rather,  being able to see the way things
    are with the magic amulet.
    I wish I could give a better description,  but as usual it is morning here and I have to get to work.

Have a good day,  everyone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 pm