Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 9 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Here's another upcoming game worth mentioning: Huntsman - The Orphanage

I've been looking forward to this one. Some of you might be turned off by the Steam DRM. I already have quite a few games on Steam, so I'm not bothered by it. It releases Sept. 6th, but you can pre-order now. I've been on a "support indie games/devs" kick of late, especially after playing Don't Starve (for 299 hours, I must add). Embarrassed I know. I have no life.  devilish grin 

Anyway, Huntsman looks right up my alley. Let me know what you think.

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:36 pm

BloomingLilac wrote:Have you played the Dark Fall series? I haven't, but if they're any good, I might give them a try.

<clip>

You all can call me Lilac if you want to. I wanted to use that name on CCC, but it was already taken. I've kept this name here so everyone will know me from CCC. :-)

<clip>

Anyway, Huntsman looks right up my alley. Let me know what you think.
    There are some classic games that you hear about over and over again when you're part of the gaming world, and the Dark Fall games fall in that category.  I've heard good things, but no, I've never played them... for that matter, I haven't even played Shiver, yet! OH!

Lilac it is!  Thanks for mentioning it!

The Huntsman looks really scary.  Here's the Youtube video I watched:

That's a good way to do live-action in games -- add in a graphic effect that makes them seem like they're *supposed* to be there!
    and here's the actual trailer:

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 9 O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:47 pm

While I was looking up The Huntsman, I found this:

DreadOut

and the free demo is here:  http://dreadout.com/demo/

BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Ah, you posted while I was editing my last one to add the trailer. Okay 

I saw a couple of the Dark Fall games when I was a member at GameFly, but I wasn't sure if I'd like 'em. If I join again, I might download one of them and see. I like GameFly's Unlimited PC Play every now and again when I'm trying to avoid buying a ton of games I might never finish playing, you know? There aren't as many games that interest me lately, and now I'm replaying some of my old ones from BF.
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:01 pm

genkicoll wrote:While I was looking up The Huntsman, I found this:

DreadOut

and the free demo is here:  http://dreadout.com/demo/
    Oh, wow! Thanks for the heads up. That one looks creepy, too. Offering 
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi there, Lilac! It's good to see you! Happy bounce Oh man, those games look way too scary for me! Dreadout reminds me of the PS2 game, Fatal Frame 3.
    I still haven't finished FF3. My character runs too slow & I'm armed with a camera to battle the baddies? You've got to be kidding me. So, I have to run (slowly) and make sure I'm in camera mode before taking a pic. Keep in mind, I also have to "frame" the baddie before clicking. Not just 1 pic either. And sometimes, there's a whole slew of baddies.
    I think I'd have better luck hitting them with my camera.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I have finished Nearwood. I must say, it was quite charming and delightful! MagicIndie Softworks really show they have a lot versatility in their games ideas.
    Okay, when I could tear myself away from the opening scene (which I had to play every single time I went back in), the graphics were a treat for the eyes - very colorful and pretty.
    The ambient sound FX were fantastic, as well as the voice-overs.
    The hidden object scenes was mostly FROGs and a few "replace the items." I had to skip a couple of puzzles (just because I didn't like them), some were easy & some were a bit harder.
    I didn't find all of my "Snoop-Sees." (They actually looked like Fur-Babies) I think I missed one.
    The transporter map did require a Hint to use, but I never used it. I never had any trouble remembering where I had to go.

Yes, I know this is the Dark & Eerie thread, "charming, delightful, colorful, and pretty" are not words I use very often, but hey, what can I say? The game was very good!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 pm

lol~  How's the storyline?  We do have a "Bright & Cheery" section here, but I don't think it's ever been used Belly laugh

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm

LMAO, Genki. Well, the story is "Bright & Cheery", uplifting & fairytale-ish, and just made me feel sooo good & happy.

I am ready to play a really D&E game now. devilish grin 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 am

I wanted to post this link again for anyone who might have missed it:
    IMPORTANT: To Disable Auto-Watching of Topics

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for the link, Genki!

I d/l'ed the TGT, Sea of Lies (which is not bad) and guess what I got?? A newer version of the BFGA. This one is version 3.2.0.6 (2.3). *sigh* I feel like pulling my hair out! Gah! 

I plan on getting Sable Maze 2 and Sea of Lies tomorrow. Sale price, too!

I'm playing Ashley Clark: The Secret of the Ruby and it's freakin' hard. I think the game wants me to use my mind in ways it's not capable of (lol). For example, I need to find a light source to solve a puzzle in a barrel. So, I found a torch...nope, won't work. Geesh.  I'm sure it'll take me awhile to get through it.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:32 am

BloomingLilac wrote:I've been on a "support indie games/devs" kick of late, especially after playing Don't Starve (for 299 hours, I must add). Embarrassed I know. I have no life.  devilish grin
    Might you be willing to tell us more about the game in the Don't Starve game thread?  I started the thread because it looks interesting, but I really can't picture how it's played.Stars

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:39 pm

I was tempted to get Don't Starve when it was 1/2 price last week, but I thought it might be the kind of game that would drive me crazy, lol. Might be just what my brain needs though; you never know. Wink
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:36 am

Blooming Lilac      Happy bounce   nice to hear from you.    I finally bought and played Dracula 4.
    It is short like the reviews said, but I am looking forward to the next one because of the story
    line.   (Yes,  I bought it on sale for 5.00)   I have quite a few games on my wishlist over at Steam.
    You may be helping me to add to them.   Big smile 

Well,   I started Necronomic:  The Dawning of Darkness.  Not all that scary to me, but I am
    enjoying it all the same.

So,  I broke down and used a pcc for...oh,  what is the name...Nobody is Left on Board
    the Ship  but those  dead pirates.     Smile  
    If I finished it already,  you know its short  (I got it last night.  Finished it up in 2 hrs this a.  m. )
    Not my favorite.   The woman's voice just annoyed me to no end.    "OHH,  Human
    Remains"   in a sugary voice that is suppose to sound scared.  (Skeletons are not human remains.  Also, she should have expected to see that on a pirate ship.  That is a Pirate decoration version of Martha Stewart.)     Sing w Skeleton Well,  that should be, and is,  a major clue about the bad guy.   I knew who the bad guy  was from the first newspaper report,  but Madame Detective is asking dumb questions later on.   
    Then there was the newspaper stuck behind the loose bricks,  which of course I cannot use
    my trusty knife to pull falling bricks out.   No,  I have to do a   HO  ("I can probably find something useful
    over there"  sugary voice tells me)   to get.....a newspaper.Rolling Eyes
    I bang those bricks to smithereens later.    To get that newspaper.   and something else
    which I forget.
    Why did I get it?   Well,  it has a lot to do at first, which I like,   but later it seems you are going
    from one HO to  another to get through the game.   plus,  I had a pcc.
    I won't give away the ending...as I wrote, bad guy is no brainer,   it was who I found that had me saying  "What??" 

Yes,   I have the game grumps     :grouch:   Well, with this game.

I did demo Sable Maze 2 and found myself actually enjoying it.    But I'm holding out for the SE.

Well,  back to the dungeons with Necromaniac  (better title,  I think).  Its funny,  this game, like I said
    is not bad,  it is older and it's based on H. P. Lovecraft's book,   like our Charles Dexter Ward,
     which I found scarier than this Necro.

dj---picturing you smacking bad guys with your camera  (a camera??!!  Really?) makes me    Belly laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 am

Luv, your review has me Belly laugh.
    Your thoughts are exactly the same things I think as I play these games... ohh, I *hope* I'm not saying them out loud. (My DH told me I did that sometimes. I have to watch out for that.  :Huh:)
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 am

Your "grouching" has me laughing, too, Luv Snicker  Guess I'll put Left in Dark: No One on Board on my back burner, so to speak Silly face

I just finished Stray Souls 2, and it was fantastic!  Then I started Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls, and it's so different that I'm having trouble adjusting to it... I'll finish it (and my review) at some point, but it's going to be pretty busy around here today, since the kids go back to school tomorrow Stars

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm so glad you liked Stray Souls 2.... after all the fawning I did over it, I always feel bad if people don't like it. 

Curse @ Twilight was one of my "sleeper" hits from the past year. It IS different, and I ended up really enjoying it. 

Luvto--- I just don't buy the pirate games anymore. They all see m the same and they're all boring to me. No offense meant to those who do like the soggy-style games, but I just know myself well enough to know they will end up being a waste of money and time for me. 

Lilac!!! Glad to see you found your way here! Happy bounce
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Hello to dj, luv, Esme, and everyone else! It's nice to see you all again. :-)

genki, I just finished playing Don't Starve. New content was added recently and I was anxious to get back to it. I can't believe this game was released late last year and the developers are still adding to it! Most AAA titles don't even have this much content, and when they do, the developers charge an arm and a leg for the DLC. All these updates are free for anyone who owns the game. I really like the game and Klei Entertainment (as if you couldn't tell). I've played around 300 hours and I still haven't discovered everything the game has to offer, mostly because I customize my games so that I can focus on building my base camp(s), etc. Granted, I still die, and most of the time, it's not from starving. Sometimes I die from clicking at the wrong time. For example, I'll click to gather a resource and accidentally "attack" a bee or a beefalo. If you have a weapon or a tool in your hand and you hit any creature in the game besides rabbits and birds, be prepared to defend yourself against a herd or a swarm. It's funny and irritating at the same time. I've learned that running away isn't such a bad thing. If you can't outrun them, you're history. Dying isn't even all that bad because the game is so much fun. It's a little disappointing when you've survived for, say, 200+ game days and you die because your game will not be saved. You can save and exit, but dying erases all your progress. I can't count the number of times I've started a new game.

There's so much going on in this game that I'm not sure my review would do it justice so I'll just point out some of its features.

-Crafting
    -Resource gathering/management
    -Spelunking (Yes, there are caves, but you have to find them.) :-)
    -Building
    -Cooking
    -Exploring
    -Magic items
    -Open world

Don't Starve has everything I love in a game and more. There's an adventure mode, but you can't select it from the menu. You have to find Maxwell's Door before you can start. (Maxwell is the demon who kidnapped Wilson, the protagonist.) I've found it in a handful of my games. Surviving it is tough, though. I couldn't even survive the winters until I'd played the game for quite a while. I always start in the summer and prepare for winter.

If you've got arachnophobia, you probably won't like this game! You can customize your game to have less spiders, but I don't think you can play without them. I'll check, though.

The first time I saw a spider queen, I believe I screamed. I honestly thought my heart might stop. If someone had told me the spiders were scary, I wouldn't have believed them having only the artwork and trailers to go by. The art style is what kept me from buying the game sooner because it looked so cartoon-ish. The game does have its dark and eerie moments despite that. You have your health, hunger, and sanity to maintain.

The sounds, while comical, are very well done. I like the music, too. It can get pretty crazy when the pig men are fighting with the spiders and/or beefalo constantly. I don't build my camp as close to the spiders' nests as I used to, but I like to be a short walk away because I love making the hats and bug net out of the silk they drop. You can also use the silk to craft fishing poles. I forgot to list fishing in the features above. There are little ponds here and there that you can fish from if you can avoid the frogs. Silly face  Believe it or not, the frogs are extremely dangerous in this game. They flick their tongues at you and you'll take damage if you're not wearing a log suit, and even worse, you'll drop some of your precious inventory. (I seriously think I have OCD because I hate dropping my inventory and having to leave it on the ground. That's one thing that got me killed several times. I just HAD TO try and pick it up instead of running or attacking.) Suspect 

If you're not sure about the game, I recommend picking it up while it's on sale because, as I mentioned, you can customize your game to adjust the difficulty. I don't like the hounds, for example, so I change the default setting to less. They attack every so often when you've killed a certain number of rabbits and birds, as doing that adds to your naughtiness factor. I don't know what the developers were thinking because you're told to avoid starving, yet they "punish" you for eating the innocent creatures in the game. You can always eat berries and carrots if you don't want to eat meat, though. Wink 

I got the game for $8.99 and I consider that a steal. The normal price is extremely reasonable for the amount of content you'll get. Sometimes I'm happy to just set up a few bushes around my camp and manage my little farm. You can craft a pitchfork and a shovel to transplant the ground, grass, bushes, and saplings so you don't have to travel very far to restock. This helps immensely in winter. You can also catch bees to build hives for the winter and live off the honey. I just thought the game was fun until I built my first crock pot. You can mix four ingredients and come up with all sorts of recipes. This is the healthiest way to eat, but you don't even have to do everything I mentioned. The game is a blast. I can't think of a better way to describe it. I'll come back and let you all know if you can play without spiders and post anything I may have forgotten. Hope my comments were helpful.

*Edited to add: Don't Starve can be played without the spiders, but you'll have to do without their healing glands and the silk for crafting. You can make a healing poultice with honey and papyrus, though.

Last edited by BloomingLilac on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Awesome review, Lilac! GOG had it for $7 a couple weeks ago. I almost bought it, but all the reviews from frustrated players who resented constantly restarting from scratch gave me pause.
    Next time it's on sale, I think I'll go for it.
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

RenaissanceMom wrote:Awesome review, Lilac! GOG had it for $7 a couple weeks ago. I almost bought it, but all the reviews from frustrated players who resented constantly restarting from scratch gave me pause.
    Next time it's on sale, I think I'll go for it.
    Thank you, RMom! That's very sweet of you to say. I'm glad you liked it. Offering 

I typed out a long reply and deleted it by accident. meh 

If you buy the game, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    Perheart

Post by Perheart Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 am

Hello Everyone, Well I thought I would let you all know that I am lurking around here now. Thanks Genki for letting me know that everyone is over here now, plus a couple of others let me know too, so Thanks ladies. I still have my Granddaughters, we have the 8 year old in school and the baby is just laying around being sweet most of the time. Its been 2 months now and Mom or Dad neither one are doing a thing about trying to get right and to get their children back, so all of you that pray Please pray for my daughter that she and her dh hurry up and get on the move about drug school and parenting classes so they can get these sweet babies back. Plus my step-daughter has their 3 brothers, so there is just to many babies for them to just give up on. Thank you all for prayers and thoughts!
    Well, I just can't believe BF and the way they are doing, they are leaving me to were I don't know weather to buy any credits this month or not, I am kind of afraid to buy any. I hope they decide what they are going to do and let us know soon.
    I hope everyone is well and doing good.Offering
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:02 am

Perheart, I'm so glad you made it! Hug  I hate to hear that things are still rough in RL, but surely there's a light at the end of the tunnel here sometime soon!

Lilac, you might have noticed that I copied your Don't Starve info over to the game thread -- I wanted to be sure that it would be easy to find again!  Thanks so much for the info! Offering

I went ahead and started threads for both Outlast and Amnesia 2: A Machine for Pigs... I was afraid I'd forget when the actual release date came Laugh

BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:21 am

genkicoll wrote:Perheart, I'm so glad you made it! Hug  I hate to hear that things are still rough in RL, but surely there's a light at the end of the tunnel here sometime soon!

Lilac, you might have noticed that I copied your Don't Starve info over to the game thread -- I wanted to be sure that it would be easy to find again!  Thanks so much for the info! Offering

I went ahead and started threads for both Outlast and Amnesia 2: A Machine for Pigs... I was afraid I'd forget when the actual release date came Laugh
    Thank you. I posted it here for the D&E group, but I didn't copy it there because I honestly didn't feel that it was a good review. Embarrassed
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 am

The game threads are not just for reviews, but our thoughts and impressions of the games.  Even one thoughtful sentence is worth as much as a long review... and sometimes just one sentence can be amazingly valuable, so please share!

Besides, that was awesome information you posted! Sunny

BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:35 pm

genkicoll wrote:The game threads are not just for reviews, but our thoughts and impressions of the games.  Even one thoughtful sentence is worth as much as a long review... and sometimes just one sentence can be amazingly valuable, so please share!

Besides, that was awesome information you posted! Sunny
    Thank you, genki. You've done a fantastic job designing your forum. I appreciate all the reviews and lists, not to mention the time you've put into helping others. Hug

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:55 pm