Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 7 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by djrum Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:27 pm

lol, Fairjuno, I know exactly how you feel with tech issues & no games. I get a sick feeling when I have problems.
    I probably wouldn't get sick if I was computer savvy.

I have finished Final Cut: Encore and I thought it was a good game though I think I liked the first one just a wee bit more.
    I love to watch Eipix's credits, they crack me up!
    In Encore, there's a "Secret Eipix Gameplay Chapter" located in the Extras. The beginning starts out with a short, but sweet, interactive tour of their office. It was cool!

I've got Nightmares From the Deep 2 loaded and ready to go.....
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Alright folks, I've got that requested tutorial all typed up and ready to go!  In case you didn't already see it, you can find it here:

Storing BF Games on External Drive / Accessing Games WITHOUT the GM

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 7 O9fj
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Fairjuno wrote:Have any of you noticed a notepad file that suddenly appears on your desktop called 'debug'? It's been reappearing on mine ever since I got the new BFGA and I didn't realize what the heck it was until today when I couldn't get rid of it. I just finally decided to read it again because the first time it just looked like a bunch of gibberish. It has something to do with an error in the BFGA. The only problem I've had with the BFGA is not being able to open it once in a whlie. Just wondering if it's only me. Add it to the list of other problems I've had since updating FF.

I have noticed the debug file---I just let it sit there.   Honestly,  I thought it had something to do with when I was attempting  (w/o success) to get Dracula and Alpha Polaris to run.   I did a disk cleaning and Ccleaner and a couple of other things,  so I just left that little debug icon alone.
    Its not bothering me---so I'm not going to bother it.Laugh

I see the link for my question about Storing BF games on external files.  Thanks.....I go in with
    trepidation......EEK!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Oh wow, that looks like a lot of tech stuff we have to do in order to put our games on an external hard drive. EEK! 
    I have rummaged around in my Program Files before because I had to run a game as administrator. I'm very intimidated by all that computer speak. Ewww, it gives me the chills.

Well, I have a question. I don't have an external hard drive yet, so does size matter? (I'm cracking myself up) I mean, say you have a lot of games, do I have to buy a big hard drive? Hmm...maybe I could dwindle my list of Favorites down, gosh, that's still going to be a bunch of games.
    Fairjuno
    Fairjuno

Post by Fairjuno Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 am

You said it better than me, dj. It's my "games" I can't live without. Now with Genki's solution, I don't actually need the gm. Silly face Big smile 

Lmao luvtoread! No doubt... Belly laugh I actually thought (more like hoped) that by deleting it, it would then leave ME alone. Hmm... Oh well.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:39 am

Over at Challengers I just saw this post from  Cheshire Cat:

I wouldn't really advise on downloading all your games on an external. Remember when mine got fried? It might have been old age, but is also quite possible that it died because of overheating Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 7 Sad

There isn't a good way to back up Big Fish games, since they don't give you the install files Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 7 SadIf you install them on an external you will also play them from your external (which can cause overheating) and you can't hook that external up to another computer and expect the games to play: they won't!

You are still depended upon your game manager and Big Fish activation software. Your game manager is installed on your C:\ drive and that's where the index to the game files is. So no matter if you install all your games on your C:\ drive or on an external, you will only have them as long as the lifespan of your computer! That is, if BF would go out of business, which I highly doubt!

I was just talking to popla about how you could safeguard BF games, not that we think it is necessary, just a talk about hating the fact that there's is DRM on it, which makes you depended of BF services! Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 7 Mad

A good way would be to install them on a brand new hardisk that has only windows installed on it and directly make an image of that disk. You could decide later if and when you want to build that hard disc into a new computer and you would then have the image as a back up Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 7 Smile

If I would have a pc custom build just now (which I am thinking of, since my computer is getting old, but I have no money to do it right now)
    I would maybe do just that. But now, with my 5 year old pc? No way! And besides, it is over 300 games!

So.....I am getting a headache:      faceplant

Last edited by luvtoread on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    marianne
    marianne

Post by marianne Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 am

Re BF...There's a very interesting article at www.Gamezebo.com
    Didn't take long for the BF news to hit the fan !!

ETA: Marianne
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Well, I wrote a post & then someone knocked on the door & now I don't know where my post went. It might be somewhere around here.

So, luvtoread, what I'm reading is, it's not a good idea to transfer games onto an external hard drive because we still need the GM?
    We only have the games for the life of our computer. If we have to buy another computer...goodbye games?
    That wouldn't be a good route for me because my desktop is 6 years old and I have the biggest part of my games on it.

Oh, geesh, I'm starting to get a headache, too!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:10 pm

DJ, look at the top right of the forum, and you'll see three links:

All three can be VERY useful, and are accessible no matter what page you're on. Sunny

If you accidentally (or on purpose) get the new GM, you can always bypass it using the info in post #2 HERE.  I know it looks daunting, but it's really super-easy!  The hardest part is making sure that you can view the hidden files, and the instructions should be clear enough to get you through it (I hope!)

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Oh, thank you, Genki. I've seen it before but I forgot about it. I'm very scatter-brained today for some unknown reason. I think I'll go play my game & relax.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Anyone else noticed that there haven't been any games that are even close to tempting lately on BF? Or is it just me?

It might be just me. Rolling Eyes 
    marianne
    marianne

Post by marianne Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Esme wrote:Anyone else noticed that there haven't been any games that are even close to tempting lately on BF? Or is it just me?

It might be just me. Rolling Eyes 
    The lights went out for me awhile back. I started visiting other sites and got into Adventure games...now I'm hooked. Marianne
    Fairjuno
    Fairjuno

Post by Fairjuno Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:48 pm

So, do we need the game manager or not? I'm so confused. Genki's instructions lead me to believe we don't.

That would suck to have my external hard drive burn up after putting all my games on it though. Cry

Last edited by Fairjuno on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 pm

You MUST have the game manager, but if you use my workaround, you don't ever have to open it except to download / activate games.

vervaine
    vervaine

Post by vervaine Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 am

You don't need to use the GM even in your current setup, whatever it is. Game .exe files always work. Just make sure you don't have "open GM after playing a game" ticked in GM options.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:31 am

*chortle*

So I looked at today's game from BFG... Fearful Tales: Hansel and Gretel. It's one of my least favorite art styles, but I noticed that we apparently have a little helper dude in the game. It's a buck-toothed gingerbread man with a unibrow!

Bwa-hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Belly laugh 

If any of you try it, please, please, please let me know if I'm right about that!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks for mentioning it -- have added that to the Creature helpers list.  I wanted to mention that this game was made by Eipix -- the same folks who did the Final Cut games!

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:36 pm

I didn't actually play it; I just looked at the photos. There is, however, a little buck-toothed gingerbread man with an icing unibrow down in the corner of every screen shot by the hint button.

I chortled. :lol!: 
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:50 pm

esme  Yes....he is your helper,  name of Chucky.  Hmm...    He paces back and forth when you are doing a puzzle  and there is some noise that goes along with it that annoyed me so much I turned off the  sound.
    He can only remember things in spurts.

By the way,  I couldn't stand Gingy in  Shrek,  either.      He should've been dunked in milk  Evil Grin
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Chucky? Like the killer doll?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA!!! This just keeps getting better and better!

If I wasn't po'd at BFG, I might have to get the game and play it just so I could rant about it. LMAO!

Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh HA! 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:29 pm

LMAO at Chucky the unibrowed bucktoothed gingerbread man. Oooooh, scary!!! EEK!
    Hahahahaha! 
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:22 pm

I know, right???!!! The potential for cheesy humor in this one is pretty epic, but I'm cheap, and I'm not going to buy it.

Still... evil gingerbread men with unibrows? Two thumbs up 
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I got League of Lights with a pcc.   dj  enjoyed it so much I decided why not?  I really landed up enjoying it,  especially some of the comments  (who takes these door handles?  Big smile  ) tho I am wondering about the ending.
    Thank goodness I stuck to only getting 2 CE's at last weeks CE sale.
    I had 2 Game Credits, so I was able to get    Calavera: Day of the Dead  and
    Awakening:  The Sunhook Spire  this weekend.   Plus Dracula 4 at Gamehouse.

How is everyone doing?
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi luv (and everyone else)!
    I recently bought Calavera and Cobra's Eye but haven't played them yet. (Am doing a Nancy Drew group play at the moment.) But I have a soon-to-expire PCC and am debating between League of Lights and Chinese Healer. I know they had fans here - which was your favorite?
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Esme wrote:I know, right???!!!  The potential for cheesy humor in this one is pretty epic, but I'm cheap, and I'm not going to buy it.
    Can't see myself investing in this either. Maybe -maybe- a DD one day...
    ETA - You know, I've realized I'm pretty much sick to death of fairy tale games. Yeah right 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm