Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 25 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by djrum Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:34 pm

I think Floodlight did the last one, though I'm not sure about that.

I remember thinking they should stick with murder mystery games since they do them so well.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 pm

You are correct!  I had to download it to find out for sure, and both Big Fish and Floodlight were mentioned.  I watched the credits, and Pat Wylie, one of the head honchos over at BF, was the executive producer, so I think it was a joint venture.

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 25 O9fj
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Genki, is BFG still even creating PC games? I don't mean the Free to Play games, just regular HOPAs.

They've farmed out the MCF and the Azada series, I really can't think of any more right now.

I did figure out what I was doing wrong in the bonus section of Nevertales: The Beauty Within. Of course, it was totally player fault! (me, lol!)
    I have finished this awesome game and I recommend the CE because of all the extras!
    And there is a sale this weekend!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 pm

With HE, MCF, and Azada farmed out, I don't think they're doing any more IHOG's.

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 pm

genkicoll wrote:Butterfly, you didn't mention which version of Windows you're running, but here are some useful programs:

Just follow the links to get more info about what they are and why they're useful:

Ad-Block Plus - This is a browser add-on, and will block pop-ups... including the ads at the top of GGG!  I never see them (and usually forget that we have them here) because of this lovely addition!
    AVG Anti-virus
    CCleaner
    HDD Health
    Malwarebytes

These are the ones I consider must-haves.

I wanted to say Thank You for this info.    I installed AD-Block...and I love it.    My Yahoo mail site was loaded with
    ads and it was driving me crazy.  They are gone    Happy bounce 

I finished  Dark Canvas CE  and I must say I really liked it,  even played the Bonus game   (I don't always bother).
    Bonus looked like it ended with a possibility of another Dark Canvas.     Not to say it ended with a cliffhanger,  you do get
    answers.   Am I making sense w/o giving away spoilers?  Dunno 
    I could not for the life of me find the morphing objects.    Some were easy,  but the rest...my eyeballs would fall
    out first.
    I enjoyed the story.  If I paid more attention and played more in one setting,  I would have figured it out earlier.
    Maybe.     Hmm... 

Hope all are having beautiful weather.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Do I need to have played A Brush With Death before I start Blood & Stone, luv?

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:55 pm

I would say no...I haven't played A Brush With Death...but I just might have to,
    after reading about it. Big smile 
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:46 am

Oh my gosh, the pop-up ads was driving me crazy too!!!

I started getting the ads after installing IE11 earlier this week & they were showing up almost everywhere. I don't even go to that many places!
    BFG was loaded with them and I was seriously considering cancelling my membership, it was pissing me off bigtime!
    I checked everything I could think of, I don't know how they were getting through.

I had every intention of installing Ad-Block Plus this morning after reading about this last night but the ads are NOT showing up today.
    Thanks, Genki for posting this bit of info and thank you, luvtoread, for reminding me!

Oh, I almost forgot, it's really sad that BFG is no longer making HOPA games. I always thought their team created fresh & innovative games, especially with their MCF series.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Yup,  I hated all those ads.   I haven't used IE in years--I hope its improved.
    When I got my desktop a few years ago,  it had IE and I had nothing but problems.
    Started using Mozilla Firefox and never had any problems.

I am now playing Surface:  The Pantheon.   The more I play,  the more it grows on me.
    I must say,  being the miserable grump I am.....meh ....I  could care less about her missing
    the train and  whining for her family.  (Told you I'm miserable...Big smile ).   Also,  the Daughter
    Melanie just brought out the suspicious in me.   Something about her just rubbed me the
    wrong way.
    But,  sticking the Dr.   in my inventory  and   alien2 and that groovy 60's VW  Half Flower 
    challenging puzzles and now I just got the Finger from the game    Belly laugh ....I am enjoying it.

Also love the Pug.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 pm

DJ, thank you SO MUCH for "nudging" me to play Nevertales.  It. Is. AMAZING!  It brought me right out of my game funk, and is definitely the best CE I've ever seen.  I think this is the longest review I've ever written, and that's saying something! Belly laugh

Now the question is, what to play next?

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 am

I just bought Nevertales now after reading your review, genki, but I have another game to finish before I can get into it - it was a great demo, but you make it sound unbelievable!!

Last edited by JustTheFacts on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected error)
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:50 am

I loved the Pantheon too, luvtoread. I also like your nick and will steal it for other sites Evil Grin 

I also love everyone at GGG's for being so positive in their discussions about games and making me feel Welcome! (bad day at bf)
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:30 am

Oh, you're very welcome, Genki!

Nevertales: The Beauty Within gets my vote for the best game of the year, so far. I was simply amazed by all the things we got to do, the interactions in almost every scene.
    And absolutely the best bonus content I've ever seen!!
    Such a joy to play a game like this and it reestablishes my faith in HOPAs once again!

Thank you, Mad Head Games!!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 am

I was at BFG yesterday, JustTheFacts, reading the reviews for the new Fairytale Mysteries game (the SE). I'd been debating on whether to get the CE or the SE...

Personally, I love to read reviews. It really doesn't bother me if it's a CE review of a SE. I can get all the relevant information I need from reading ANY review.
    Um, I really like it when someone posts, "There are too many HO scenes!!" I know I'll probably enjoy the game!! (lol, I'm a big fan of HO scenes, as everyone in the D&E thread knows!)
    Ultimately, it boils down to try the game yourself & see if you like it. If you liked what you played, buy it. If not, don't buy it.
    That's my motto when demo'ing games! (I have been stuck with some real clunkers, though)

Keep up the good work, JustTheFacts!! You are much appreciated!!!! Hug
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:04 am

Excuse me for being blunt, but screw Big Fish forums Yeah right  Their moderation is completely (and unfairly) skewed towards people they like and the trolls can go fly a kite.  I have no doubt that they're TRYING to phase out the forums as much as possible in order to force the reviewers to post on the game pages.  I feel bad for the people who don't know where else to go.  If anyone sees someone floundering in the festering pond, be sure to send 'em an invite!

And Justie, I have to agree that you are VERY much appreciated.  All of you are Hug  I try not to respond to every post, on the off chance that y'all might think that no one's around and posting Laugh  I do READ every post, though!

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:22 am

You know, the thought of BFG maybe getting rid of the game forums never even crossed my mind. But I do believe you are spot on, Genki!!

Now, I have demo and possibly buy Grimville: The Gift of Darkness before it gets censored!!!
    (for using the BS word, oh my goodness, such a tragedy!)
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi everyone, just got back from a long weekend in Boston - had so much fun, but now I'm back and ready to play! Wink
    Just got caught up reading this thread and will backtrack to see what other posts I've missed. Sounds like maybe BF has been up to its usual shenanigans, JustTheFacts. Sorry if you've been treated rudely; that's not right. Yeah right
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah I read the happenings at Big Fish in regards to reviews and well just my own personal experience writing reviews no matter how you write it someone will find fault with it. Can't please everyone so I write them the way I want to write them and whoever doesn't like it well too bad so sad. They can always mark me unhelpful on the main page which I see some have or better yet don't read them because NO ONE will tell me how to do my reviews especially someone who can't even be bothered to complete a game that they supposedly like so much. Because everyone of these people who complain about someone else' review I go and look and well it's ALWAYS on the demo whether they like it or not or the famous "I agree with so & so's review." As my dad use to say: Put up or shut up! Yes now that I've found a few interesting games I'm back to posting reviews on the main page and the forums.

Oh and yes Big Fish moderation isn't fair as I've even wrote in about it and was told by Kathryn who is supposedly the lead of customer support that off topic post(s) may be removed at their discretion so that tells me right there it depends upon who you are. Oh well I can post my review and leave. I don't depend upon reviews anyway. I don't even read them until I've at least played the demo. Most of the time after I've completed a game.  I can make up my own mind. I just like to write them. 

So excuse me for being blunt!

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Also I think some people confuse "helpful" reviews with what agrees with their opinion. If you don't like what they like it's like you've insulted them!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:11 pm

EXACTLY the problem with rating reviews at BF -- If they don't agree, and especially if you say something they don't like, then they say it's a bad review.  In my opinion, the only bad review is when it doesn't tell you anything about the game at all. ie. "Stupid game," or "This is good, I like it."

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks everyone! Yes, I didn't think about bfg trying to get rid of forums to get people to the web page. Interesting. I'm not sure if I think that's it exactly.

I also write what I write, regardless. Although I have had useful suggestions made to me by pm that I have decided to do. Actually, I hate posting to the bfg forums because it is just such a hassle getting the format right. And the word limit - that really bugs me.

I spat the dummy yesterday, because normally I wouldn't even have known about the cattiness, I don't read anything in the forums, but well meaning people assume I do and send me pms commiserating with me, and sometimes I just can't resist finding out what insults they've hurled my way.

I'm with you sportygal. I never read another review til I've done my own. I don't like to be biased in my opinions. And you're right about the web page too, the voting is mostly about if they agree with you, without taking in the reasons why you might see things differently.

My pet peeve, and it is really bad again at the moment, is people voting against everyone except themselves. There are so many people doing this that NOBODY is getting more than 50/50. Ridiculous!

Anyway, enough rant, I'm back to transfering my review archives to here - and playing and reviewing lost in the city which is heaps better than I imagined when I wrote it off without a demo ages ago.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:41 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:Anyway, enough rant, I'm back to transfering my review archives to here - and playing and reviewing lost in the city which is heaps better than I imagined when I wrote it off without a demo ages ago.
    Snicker When I suggested it, I'd assumed that you'd already played it!  I'm glad to see you're enjoying it!  It's very LONG, and I love the story.

Fun Fact:  I've heard (though haven't been able to find out if this is true or not) that Lost in the City started out as an escape-the-room game, and blossomed into a full-length game later.

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Wow, always so much drama at BF these days. Yeah right 
    That place should be made into yet another boring reality show. Oh wait-- it already is. Belly laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Oh goodness, JustTheFacts, I never read the official reviews.

Well, I may've once because I was too lazy to track down the forum game reviews. I saw your review, JustTheFacts and clicked "helpful" or whatever because it WAS helpful!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 am

thank you dj. For preference, I'd just post my reviews here and on the official game page. But a lot of people don't get to see them that way, just as you wouldn't but for this forum. And I hate to dissappoint my fans! Snicker

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am