Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+16
Critteranne
jboliver1999
jessmom01
tesamoine
pippi
Butterflyshrimp
Frodo
RenaissanceMom
BloomingLilac
orphaned
luvtoread
kac
djrum
Esme
genkicoll
marianne
20 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 am

OK yes, I see what you're saying  Smile  but the negative reviews I read complained that the cutesy elements ruined a series that they loved. I think they totally have to let the devs know they were unhappy, and have a right to be heard (actually ALL reviewers have that right). For instance I prefer reviews of entire games not just demos, but I certainly wouldn't tell others not to do that. And I certainly wouldn't say that poor reviews shouldn't be posted. WTH?
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 am

Oh yes, I agree - actually I even prefer completed game reviews myself lol. Belly laugh Even though 50% of mine are Demos. You'll be seeing a lot more of total game rather than demo ones the way things are going with my reviewing. The big fish game page reviews have become an embarrassment to me, they are so blatantly skewed in favour of positive reviews. And the voting! OMG! Don't get me started!

But you are definitely right about things like complaining about cutesy elements. That is exactly what the devs want to know! (If developers hadn't listened to us all saying how much we'd love them, we'd never reached this point - where even I am sick of them!)

Even complaints about too much purple in games - I laughed, but I also got it. There have been a LOT of games that have interface panel in "royal purple and gold". And they are getting on my nerves a little. I also told Eipix quite bluntly that I was sick of art deco lol.

I go to the pond to lodge my review and answer pms. I make a point of not reading anything else. Better for my blood pressure.  Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:52 am

I almost never go there, especially to read reviews. I do that here. However, I did go there yesterday and did read that review. It makes me laugh. I remember a time when some of us were asking for darker, more eerie games and got blasted by the  Sunny Sunshine Committee Sunny . Honest opinions that stated a preference for the creepy games were, shall we say, "unwelcome" in the review section. Now that there are games that cater to that aesthetic, the folks who prefer the cutesy are asking for more of that and apparently need to be defended. LOL

My point, and I do have one (or 2 or 3) is that A) everyone is entitled to her (or his) own opinion, AND should be free to express that opinion. B) The devs are never, ever going to make all of us happy at the same time. C) What's fair for one should be fair for all. 

This is one of the main reasons I stopped reviewing games, especially for BF. If I said something that wasn't super sunshiney positive about a game, I'd get downvoted. I worked hard on making my reviews interesting, fun to read, and honest. Why would I do so in a situation like that anymore? I'm happy to do an occasional "rant" because some games just suck, and people need to know that. Plus I generally need to vent after playing a dud game, and I like to make people laugh if I can. Sort of making a positive out of a negative, in my opinion. 

It's also why I'm glad to be free of the BF culture and enjoy our discussions here so much more!  Wub
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:59 am

Esme wrote:It's also why I'm glad to be free of the BF culture and enjoy our discussions here so much more!  Wub
    Hell yes - without a doubt!!!  Clap
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:59 am

RenaissanceMom wrote: I hadn't touched Beyond the Unknown because, well, it's ERS.  Rolling Eyes  Maybe I should give it a try after all.
    I bought that one strictly for its RANT potential. 

I'm saving it for a special occasion.  Snicker
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:02 am

RenaissanceMom wrote:
    Esme wrote:It's also why I'm glad to be free of the BF culture and enjoy our discussions here so much more!  Wub
    Hell yes - without a doubt!!!  Clap

And mother makes three!  Snicker 

I prefer it here too.  spit take 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 am

JustTheFacts wrote:The big fish game page reviews have become an embarrassment to me, they are so blatantly skewed in favour of positive reviews.
    Haha, every once in a while just for laughs I look up reviews by a certain "p" person. Geez she's so cheerful! Games she loves (98% of everything BF releases) she rates a 5, games she thinks need work rate a 5, games she really doesn't like rate a 4 or 4.5... which she usually rounds up to 5.  OH! Laugh  I don't think she gets the point of rating values but talk about a Sunshine Committee, she must be the president.  Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:11 am

HA! 

Here's the funny thing about the "Sunshine Committee" to me... IRL I am almost annoyingly sunny and positive. I like everyone to be happy. I just happen to prefer games that are creepy, eerie and a little bit scary. I think they're more fun that way. And even though I like people to be positive and happy, I still will always prefer honest over faux positive.  Big No No 

And that's why I like it here! Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 20 Hug
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:18 am

Esme wrote:
    RenaissanceMom wrote: I hadn't touched Beyond the Unknown because, well, it's ERS.  Rolling Eyes  Maybe I should give it a try after all.
    I bought that one strictly for its RANT potential. 

I'm saving it for a special occasion.  Snicker
    Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because I'm DLing this game now. 

Be ready for a few rants, people! It's ERS, so my hopes are low (or should I say HIGH for rant potential?)!  Evil Grin
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:00 am

I am in the process of playing Beyond the Unknown,  in between Grey Matter.

I really do like it.......but I am interested in reading esme's version of it    Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 am

Two words: Hot Grandpa. 

This game is hilarious!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 am

Esme wrote:Two words: Hot Grandpa. 

This game is hilarious!
    Whoops - now I've *gotta* demo it, ROFL.
    ETA - The negative reviews are putting me off, but you-know-who just loves it - 5 stars, WOW!  Snicker

Last edited by RenaissanceMom on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 am

Have you come across Cantillo yet?   He's the mean one who need those coke glasses. 

I know you'll get my reference after a certain point.   Wink 

Oh.....you know that is YOUR  Grandpa your drooling over?     Belly laugh
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 am

oH! I remember Hot Granpa! Hubba hubba!  Wub Snicker 
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 am

I'm not drooling... I just think the concept of the hot grandpa is hilarious!  Belly laugh 

Haven't met Cantillo yet, but the crazy old geezer dude is ticking me and Sir Fluff off royally.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 am

This is further on in the game,  but I will love to read your reaction to the relaxed fat cat!

Sir Fluff....I am assuming that is what you named  your  adorable pooch.

I named mine Silas,    after the actor who plays Monroe in Grimm   Heart
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 am

luvtoread wrote:Sir Fluff....I am assuming that is what you named  your  adorable pooch.
    Yeah, I was going to go with Turdburgler, but I decided to keep it classy. (and Turdburgler wouldn't fit) Belly laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Oh no-- there's a dog you have to name? Damn! I think I'd go with Turdburglar myself.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:35 pm

It's not an annoying dog. He's actually pretty cute and behaves like a real dog.... not as comedy relief or an investigative partner. Just a cute little Jack Russell.

I don't hate him. I like him.  Okay

He's also buck nekkid... as dogs generally are. Unless we're talking about mine; they dress up for holidays.  But in this game there's no need to buy a cunning little wardrobe for Sir Fluff. He's just fluffy. Naked and fluffy.

Last edited by Esme on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed to be a wardrobe consultant)
    Critteranne
    Critteranne

Post by Critteranne Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Esme wrote:I almost never go there, especially to read reviews. I do that here. However, I did go there yesterday and did read that review. It makes me laugh. I remember a time when some of us were asking for darker, more eerie games and got blasted by the  Sunny Sunshine Committee Sunny . Honest opinions that stated a preference for the creepy games were, shall we say, "unwelcome" in the review section. Now that there are games that cater to that aesthetic, the folks who prefer the cutesy are asking for more of that and apparently need to be defended. LOL

My point, and I do have one (or 2 or 3) is that A) everyone is entitled to her (or his) own opinion, AND should be free to express that opinion. B) The devs are never, ever going to make all of us happy at the same time. C) What's fair for one should be fair for all. 

This is one of the main reasons I stopped reviewing games, especially for BF. If I said something that wasn't super sunshiney positive about a game, I'd get downvoted. I worked hard on making my reviews interesting, fun to read, and honest. Why would I do so in a situation like that anymore? I'm happy to do an occasional "rant" because some games just suck, and people need to know that. Plus I generally need to vent after playing a dud game, and I like to make people laugh if I can. Sort of making a positive out of a negative, in my opinion. 

It's also why I'm glad to be free of the BF culture and enjoy our discussions here so much more!  Wub
    I remember those threads on the BF boards.  I was so excited to find a thread on Dark & Eerie games, and so annoyed to find that most of the posts in one of the threads were from people who not only hated D&E games, but were almost offended by them. They probably thought that gamers who liked them were wandering through cemeteries wearing black Victorian mourning dresses, or drawing chalk circles in their basements while chanting. But chalk circles would damage the carpeting down here.

I'll admit that I do down-vote reviews, but usually if they are tiny one-star reviews that tell me nothing about the game, or the ones that don't tell me why they hated it. Sigh. Also, the ones that complain a fairy tale setting is childish. It's OK to rant because you don't like that setting, but don't insult people who do.  Besides, fairy tales used to be shared by aristocratic adults in fancy shmancy parlors, rather than being told to children. They'd come to talk politics and the arts and stuff, and they'd also retell old folk tales. So there!  Silly face
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:22 pm

I interrupt this regularly scheduled dark, eerie and creepy thread to interject some sunshine here.   Sunny  Wub  I love you, esme.  Please stay funny forever.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:39 pm

pippi wrote:I interrupt this regularly scheduled dark, eerie and creepy thread to interject some sunshine here.   Sunny  Wub  I love you, esme.  Please stay funny forever.

LOL I'll do my best, Pippi! This game.... the geezer.... the blind-as-a-bat-pervo, Cantelli....  Gah!  Overreaction 

I've got an embarrassment of riches to work with here.... I'm just sayin'.  Snicker
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Your going to love the lounging fat cat who is totally unperturbed by ghosts.   Kiki\'s Gigi
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:48 pm

That cat had a glandular problem for sure!  EEK! (A bit of an attitude problem too... did you see the way he ate the cat food? He was all "Back off, B*$ch! I'll cut you!" with that can!)

That whole section of the game was a puzzler anyway. Since when do you use a 
    I suppose I should spoiler this, but really??? It's bonkers!:

I had to quit for the night. The game was getting a little HOg happy, and even though you can switch to Match 3 mode, I was getting annoyed, so I didn't.  Rolling Eyes
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

This game is getting a little frustrating. I'm just glad I cans switch the HOgs to M3!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:10 pm