Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 34 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 am

luvtoread wrote: I don't do the Nancy Drew ones. .... 
    But,  I love Point and Click Adventure games.
    Ooh now I LUURVE me some Nancy Drew!  Wub 
    And yes, point & clicks are my gaming lifeblood. I only fell into casuals and HOPAs by circumstance.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:22 am

JustTheFacts wrote:You guys/gals do know, don't you, that most of what I am putting up here are reviews I'd already done? It's only the new releases that come straight here.
    So, Party At My House!!! Drinking buddy 
    I suspected this about your reviews but wasn't quite sure...
    Party?!? It's on, girlfriend!  Yahoo!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 am

HI!! So R-Mom...you don't do the ND group plays?

I tried one ND game. Not sure what ever happened to it.  Hmm... 
    But I do love Dracula games. Tho the Drac in 1 & 2 was Incredibly Ugly.
    Game makers should know that vampires have to be very good looking.
    Its part of their allure. And those hypnotic eyes.  hypnotize 

JTF Yup, I knew that about your reviews. Its just that I'd rather be
    here  Fizzy Hearts  Party 

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:41 am

Yes, luvtoread, good looks and enigmatic personality, definitely vital characteristics of any vampire, even the really evil ones.

It'll be a while before all my reviews find their way here, but some at least are exclusives, just for my fellow GGs.

All guests please byo cat food to party  typingcat 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:19 am

luvtoread wrote:HI!!    So  R-Mom...you don't do the ND  group plays?

I tried one ND game.     Not sure what ever happened to it.    Hmm...
    I've been playing Nancy Drews for a l-o-n-g time...since they were new on the scene in fact. But I'll be the first to admit that some are better than others.  Rolling Eyes  I actually would enjoy playing them in group format but tbh I keep forgetting about the Challengers site and their group plays. By the time I check on their schedule I've invariably just missed out on one.

Between work, family and social obligations - and the fact that I *don't* multitask well at all! - I don't have enough time and brainpower to devote to too many online forums (fora?). I belong to GGG and a video fitness site and that's where my online chatting happens. I really love the vibe at Challengers and I can try to start spending more time there as well, but group plays are tough for me since I play games for down time to relax but quite often I don't play for a couple of weeks or more. So again, committing to a group participation is hard for me and I always fall behind. I miss the camaraderie (although I prefer small groups to large) but anyway I don't need the help since I'm a pointer & clicker from way back.  Old Days
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm a pointer & clicker from way back.  Old Days       We\'re Unworthy! 

Belly laugh
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Finished my thoughts on The Whispered World, and next will be doing a group play of Cognition with the folks over at The Diving Bell (link on the right-hand side of the page, under the most recent posts.)  RM, not sure what an experienced point-and-clicker like yourself would think of the game.  I liked it, but illogical tasks are hard for me -- I'm just a logical person!  Normally that kind of thing would be a deal breaker for me, but I understand that adventure games are filled with tasks that don't necessarily make sense Silly face

Justie, 500 reviews?  Holy cow!  That's a bunch of games you've played! OH!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:38 am

Evil Grin Hee hee, I did try to warn you. "Sure, you can put all your reviews up at GGGs", famous last words.  OH! Being largely house bound and of active mind but weary body, I can do sometimes 2-3 games a day. But only half these reviews are fully played games and half are demos.

Even still, I've played a lot more than this just haven't reviewed them yet. Another 120 -150 in current collection (I am up to M in the alphabet). Then there are all the games I played in my year at GH but decided not to buy when I left them.

I figure to give myself another year to this project, then I'll have to find something else - perhaps playing lots of those adventure games that take weeks to play. That would certainly slow down review production!!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Everyone!

Finally, time to kick back & relax for a bit. I did partially demo the two new SEs out this week, Dark Angel was one and The Great Gatsby was the other. Both are on my undecided list.
    Dark Angel had me getting ready for a fashion show...I'm not fashionably talented at all. I did read JustTheFacts' review to stick with it, so I might get it.
    The Great Gatsby was a little slow in scene transitions and I don't think I could tolerate that throughout the whole game.

luvtoread, I did play Greed: The Mad Scientist and I rather liked it!!  Big smile 

Oh, I love the ND games, even though I haven't played the last 2 or 3 games out.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:37 am

Series like the ND games are a real temptation for me, if I like the one I play, I want them all, even tho some of them might not be so good. I didn't like the Great Gatsby at all really, except that neat trick with changing to the past, which was done so very well.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:11 am

Yeah, I find even the not-so-good NDs to be pretty entertaining. And there's something so comforting about hearing Lani Minella's voice as Nancy for the past 15 years. Every time I hear that opening music and Lani's bubbly "Hi! I'm Nancy Drew" I feel warm and fuzzy inside, lol.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 am

lol, R-Mom, I know what you mean about Lani Minella's voice. She also did the voice of the villainess in Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen.
    While I was playing FC, I kept thinking, "I know that voice!" It dawned on me who it was and I watched the credits. It was her!!

JustTheFacts, I started kind of backwards in the ND series. I bought ND: The Haunting of Castle Malloy first at the store (CD). My sister & I enjoyed it so much, I bought all the games except #1-#5. I didn't much care for the navigation in the older games. It was cumbersome, I thought.
    My favorite was ND: The Legend of the Crystal Skull.
    The most difficult (IMO) was ND: The Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
    And of course, I needed a WT for all of them!  Laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Haha believe me I need a walkthrough from time to time too. Not to mention help from hubby at things like killing wasps!  Wink  And I agree the older games are a PITA to play. I haven't touched them again in years. But the more recent ones? Fun!!
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:50 pm

In between bouts of feverish moving, I'm actually enjoying "Mystery of Sargasso Sea"!  It's not an expensive game with bells/whistles but it's a well-made one with an interesting storyline.  I'm so glad I found it now, when I need some sanity in my life!  Gah!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 pm

What an appalling time of the year to be moving! I don't know how you stand it. Interesting about Sargasso Sea, seems lots of people liked it, when I thought it was pretty bad - that's one I got wrong! May have to give it a 2nd look.

Try to keep mind and body in one piece!  Silly face 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:55 am

((Jeannie!)) I agree with JTF; moving at any time can be really stressful, so best of luck!!!
    Are you relocating far away? Will you have to make new friends, etc? I assume your job is staying the same, or is  that changing too?
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:01 am

Oh my gosh, I agree with JustTheFacts and R-Mom, moving is way too stressful!

jeanniemouse, you need to sit down (briefly), take a deep breath & relax. I'm also playing Mystery of Sargasso Sea and enjoying it as well! 
    Yep, no bells & no whistles (and no wide-screen for me), but very good gameplay!

And after finishing the awesome Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind (which gets my vote for top SE of the year), I was expecting to be a little disappointed in whatever game I chose to play next.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:07 am

I was just contemplating Alex Hunter...

Legacy has the Collector's Edition, and with their 50% deal - but I've spent so much money on games this month! Just bought Hope Diamond and Redemption Cem CE's from Big Fish tonight! Arghhh! My cats will be eating bugs if I keep this up!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:28 am

Oh yes, I noticed the "Platinum" edition of Alex Hunter is offered at Alawar, also. I can't imagine how there could possibly be more goodies in this game. For the SE, we get Bonus Play & a Secret Room!

Believe me, if BFG would've offered the CE, I would've bought it without hesitation. I was seriously contemplating getting it at Alawar's site, but one game site I already spend too money at is enough for me.
    At some point, I need to start practicing moderation.

Sometimes, my dog eats bugs just because she wants to (or maybe they get stuck on her tongue, I don't know, I have to be pretty quick with a paper towel!)
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:37 am

lol

Mine (cats) love catching, and sometimes eating, bugs. But I suspect harsh meows would be spoken if I suggest that for dinner!

That's good to know about Alex, I probably even talked ab out it in my review, but that was days ago lol.

Will wait till Monday then, for bfg.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:45 am

I am *still playing* Alex Hunter, lol. There's so much to this game - I love it!!! And it sure feels like a CE to me, right? There's a strategy guide, collectibles, bonus play...  Wub
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:48 am

yup, yup, yup, that's the last Monday of the month game coupon purchase for the last punch on this month's card
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:52 am

Not to mention...very dirty looks with a "bug" entrée.

As a previous two cat parent, my cats (both male & brothers) were always so dainty, constantly taking a bath and such.
    Now, I'm a doggy parent and wow, what a difference! When we're out walking, she will sniff other dog's poop and get her face right down low to sniff dead things....ewwwww!
    Her eating area is a mess with food on the floor and water...oh, brother, I'm constantly wiping up water.

I wouldn't have it any other way, love her so much!!!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:03 am

I am a 5 cat mummy, all unrelated, different breeds, and different ages. And very different personal habits.

I have a kitten fascinated by water, so every water dish has water everywhere - and usually this same klepto kitten has stolen something of mine and is washing it in the dish too! Rolling Eyes 

I have cats who show very doggy-like interest in everyone else's poos, and another who won't go at all unless she's convinced no one can see her. Embarrassed 

I have a cat who loves chooks and birds (as friends) so much she's learnt to speak their language - you have never heard anything as funny as chook talk with a cat accent!! Whistle 
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:12 am

Too funny!!!!

My dog is extremely bashful in her "toilet" needs. She doesn't like anyone watching her. Oh well, I wouldn't want anyone watching me!!  Big smile 

Animals are wonderfully interesting, indeed!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am