Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+2
Esme
genkicoll
6 posters

Brand New Forums at Big Fish

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Brand New Forums at Big Fish - Page 2 Empty Re: Brand New Forums at Big Fish

Post by genkicoll Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 am

The Steam "Game Manager", Valve, is a huge resource hog, meaning that it's using a lot of memory, etc. on your computer.  I close Valve whenever I'm done playing my Steam games so that my computer doesn't slow down.

Maybe Vervaine can explain it a bit better.
    vervaine
    vervaine

Post by vervaine Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 pm

@luvtoread
    Yeah, I wanted to say that the Steam client (Valve is the name of the company operating Steam) eats up a ton of RAM (at least 200 MB!! more if you poke around Greenlight etc), so when it's running, it can potentially slow down other programs you have open. I have Steam permanently open on my Samsung (work) laptop, but my (personal) Vaio has only 2 GB RAM, so Steam taking so much is unacceptable.
    For comparison, BFG Game Manager uses 80 MB.

DDoS attack means making lots of connections at the same time - the server can't cope with the amount of requests for data and shuts down / becomes slow and sluggish. The connections are usually made from virus-infected computers the hackers can control.

---

New forums don't look very useful... It's just a list of games. It'd be much better if the link in Game Manager still worked :/
    I wonder whether those are even new forums. Everything looks the same.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:26 am

I have a Steam account, have a few games from them. Didn't know it took up that much.
    I just usually go on to see whats on sale.
    Has anyone here used the "Big Picture" feature from them? My daughter has an X-Box. I'm
    not sure that I could use it, but I also have not tried. With my name on the Steam account,
    and hers on the X-box, didn't think it would work.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 am

I'm not too happy with Steam. I mistakenly opened 2 (or 3?) accounts there and over time purchased games under each account. Yeah, I know this is essentially my own fault but I can't locate all my games, nor will they consolidate accounts for me. I haven't found their customer service to be that responsive in general. Yeah right 

It's such a PITA every time I go there that I ended up rebuying some of the same games at GOG which is a breeze to navigate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:55 am