Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+10
ddr_cyclone102
sunshinej
BloomingLilac
tesamoine
jboliver1999
RenaissanceMom
pippi
genkicoll
djrum
Frodo
14 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by luvtoread Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:21 pm

you will like the other one, I highly recommend it.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:17 pm

I'll have to pick it up the next time BF has a decent sale. 

The ending was sort of dumb, but nothing I can't deal with. Next up is the Frankenstein beta I got the other day. Woo!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 am

Well,   there is a sale going on today.  I would say definitely get the SE for that other game.
    I am playing the Frankenstein beta.   I am really stuck
    in the Grand Hall.   I did everything but there is no key to open desk and nothing else
    is popping up to be done.  Except for the spot where I put the paper down for the book
    code,  but that was already done.
    Whenever I pick something up and the black bar reads  " I know where this goes"  I think
    "I'm glad one of us does!"
    Oh and with all of the clues handed to the intrepid daughter,  how can she read the diary
    and think  "What does this mean?".   She really does not know her literature or watch
    old movies,  does she?    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 30 Frankenstein-looks-stares-and-blinks-animated-gif

Did you have any problems when you exited? Twice I did and twice it froze up on me. I did
    put that in my survey.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:32 am

Ew, BFG's forums is swamped with spam and it's already 11:30 (my time). They really need to do something about that junk.

Today's CE looks dismal, so I won't even bother with the demo.

Is the Frankenstein game y'all are talking about the one where he's encased in ice in the North Pole (IIRC)?
    If so, I beta'd the game also and I had a lot of tech issues with it.

I finished New York Mysteries 2 and loved it!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:57 am

I beta'd today's CE and it is a no-buy for me. I did read that they got rid of the annoying
    giggle in the Barbie helper-but she is still there.
    I do not feel like dressing her up so she can help me. Dev's really failed with that game.

Yup, Frankie is up North and not happy with the scientist, so daughter has to rescue
    Daddy-O.

I never did get DP: The Ballad of Rapunzel, so I might get it this weekend.

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Esme wrote:It has all the pitfalls of the games with translation issues, but I ended up liking it anyway. 

And if you buy it, near the end, you'll be looking for a starfish 
    a little help from a friend:

Like I said, there are other, "better" games that I could probably have gotten, but this one made me laugh at its awesome badness!  Happy bounce

What were they thinking!!????   Who on earth could find that?   I hit the hint button,
     remembered your post and came here to read it cause I thought the hint was wrong.
    Then I kept getting "I must be tired" cause I was just a clicking fool;
    well,  they must be dumb!!  pfft
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Here's what I think happened: I think they design all the scenes/areas without the stuff at the bottom, and then the hint button, tool bar, and all the other junk gets layered over top of the scene. My guess is that they didn't notice that the starfish was covered by the hint button because when they designed the HO page, it wasn't there. 

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and they're just silly/sneaky like that.  Hmm...
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:18 pm

There still may be hope for a True Fear 2!

I was on Goblinz's fb page (the developer) and Dimmie Azu, the writer and director of True Fear basically said that the original game had to be "toned" down, as per BFG's wishes. (I think we all figured that out since the first video was more graphically precise and tons scarier)
    He was told by BF that their "audience does not like to be scared and 90 percent skip cut scenes and generally don't care about the story." (Geesh) Rolling Eyes
    So, the developers spent over 6 months redoing the game (figure time and cost into that "redo").
    Anyway, he went on to say not to blame BFG, it was not their fault.

I am hoping Part 2 will be released some time this year.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:31 pm

That's a shame. The first True Fear was awesome. I never skip the cut-scenes and the plot is the most important part to me. Ugh. Come on people. Reading doesn't hurt! Nor does a little shock out of your cushy little comfort zone. UGH! Though I must admit, BF does seem to know their core audience... which I am NOT a part of. 

Right now I'm playing the beta of Franken-sicle. I really, really want to like this game because it's a little different and the little fox helper guy is cute, but......  eh. Another daughter saving her crazy scientist dad who's done something stupid and dangerous. What a refreshing change.  Whistle
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 am

I went on to Goblinz FB page. The screenshots are gorgeous.

I noted that they mentioned that BF went back and apologized. They were wrong about the
    first True Fear, so Goblinz upped the fear factor on this.
    Someone commented that BF's games are getting to predictable. BF will start loosing
    money if they do not give the Dev's a little more freedom to experiment and stop doing
    cookie cutter games.

I am demoing today's DD. I bought the first Phenomenon: Cyan City--something close
    to that title--but didn't get the next one as it did not interest me. Missed this one some-
    how, so hoping I will like it.

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:28 am

I have to agree with you, Esme, in that I'm not a part of BFG's "core audience". For me (out of all the games I've ever played), there's only been a few memorable ones.
    IMO, if you don't read everything and skip cut scenes, you're only playing half the game. What's the point in playing?
    I want the total immersion factor. Reading the text and watching cut scenes further enhance the story and is crucial to gameplay.

I agree with you, also, luvtoread. Some freedom for the developer would be nice. I know most games resemble each other nowadays.
    The same tired, old plots and what have you. I guess you could also say that about TV shows, movies and generally, all types of entertainment.
    I think it would be difficult for a developer to come up with something brand-spanking-new. And really, I don't mind because I enjoy playing so much.
    For me, it's all about the presentation of that tired old storyline.
    If it's done right, I don't even notice the sameness of every game I've played and I'm totally focused on the game I'm playing right now.

And if I noticed all the cookie-cutter TV shows, movies, and books (I will add books because I read a lot of the same authors), well, I guess I wouldn't be doing much of anything, as far as home entertainment goes.
    I certainly don't have the money to go out every day/night of the week to seek a fun time and don't want to, anyways.
    I'm too old for all that! Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:33 am

djrum wrote:

Are you talking about the Labyrinths of the World game? Where the guy in the picture looks like he's smelling something particularly bad?

It looked dumb, so I didn't even demo it. And there's a Barbie helper you have to dress up? What?  Suspect
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:36 am

Lol, Esme! Yes, it was the Labyrinths of the World game.

I watched the video on YT last week and it didn't look appealing then.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:58 am

AAAAHHHH!!    Overreaction    

I have to go to the grocery store.   meh
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Esme wrote:
    djrum wrote:

Are you talking about the Labyrinths of the World game? Where the guy in the picture looks like he's smelling something particularly bad?

It looked dumb, so I didn't even demo it. And there's a Barbie helper you have to dress up? What?  Suspect

In the beta version,  she kept giggling until you paid her some attention.    Big No No
    You had to dress her in whatever outfit she needed to help you out.   One I remember was a
    cowboy outfit.     I think the game is going to bomb.     Oops!

Over at the Pond site,  they have a thread for dev's  about ideas for games.
    This came up after someone else mentioned  about Goblinx comments  and BF
    curtailing the first True Fear.
    Some good ideas are being mentioned.    One of them brought to mind something genki
    mentioned awhile back.     It is about not having the same blue background or art style in every game.
    I remember her contrasting one game which,  once again, had the same blue background as
    compared to another that had some beautiful colors and scenery.

Another thing they are mentioning is serial games.   I agree,  its ok if it is with different characters,
    like Dead Reckoning or Surface,    but to know when to stop with a dying series.
    (Personally,  I hope they keep up the Grim dimwit family.    It would break dj's heart and end
    esme's  interesting rants about them if they stopped!   Belly laugh )

Also,  another topic brought up was  "What series should be done away with?"    Of course,
    esme's  favorite was brought up,   Puppetshow,    another one
    mentioned is Witches Legacy.   I never played WL  but from some comments I guess Morgana
    keeps dying and coming back to life.
    To quote nexus:   "They are beating the skeleton of a dead horse"   with some of these series
    games.     Laugh

So,  hopefully a  dev will read some of the suggestions,  plus there are the comments on FB.
    Hope the new owners of BF  are reading and paying attention.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:02 pm

luvtoread wrote:
    Esme wrote:
    djrum wrote:

In the beta version,  she kept giggling until you paid her some attention.    Big No No
    You had to dress her in whatever outfit she needed to help you out.   One I remember was a
    cowboy outfit.     I think the game is going to bomb.     Oops!

That would make me feel all stabby. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 30 Knife
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Definitely retire the PuppetShow series, please.

I would've said the same for the Haunted Hotel series. The HH after Charles Dexter Ward was just plain awful (Elephant's first attempt after the take-over), IMO. But then, HH: Death was very good!

I've read comments about Eipix games beginning to travel down the old cookie-cutter road. I'm still a diehard fan of their games.
    At least they do change the music and sound FX from game to game and I am looking at you (suspiciously), ERS.

And I'm now playing the new Dark Parables and enjoying it! Although the fragments could be a bit larger. I'm having trouble spotting those little suckers.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:59 am

You know, I never really notice the music. But more discerning ears have noticed that
    I forget what dev's are reusing the music from previous games.
    I don't really care about that. Maybe that is just a way to keep costs down.
    As long as the game is interesting, they can play what they want--as long as it's
    not rap!

I love DP. Once I start playing, I cannot stop. Yes, though, the last game had some
    hard to find, teeny-tiny, you need a microscope fragments. Sherlock

As long as HH stays away from Dr. Weirdo Octopus and constantly in trouble boyfriend,
    fiancee, husband, then I will demo them.
    I agree the last one was good.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:44 pm

I know what you mean, luvtoread, about not being able to stop playing DP.

I played for 3 hours straight last night and that's unheard of for me. I kept telling myself I would stop after the next HO scene.

I think Eipix is doing a great job with DP. At first, I was sort of on the fence. Now that I realize BT has abandoned us in search of greener pastures...I'm okay with it and I hope DP continues on.
    As far as I know, it's the only FROG series out there.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Oh, I almost forgot, I did play House of 1000 Doors: Evil Inside (SE), now by Logris Games.

I have to give them credit, I thought the game was very good! And I didn't like the demo at all.

I reckon I can't always judge a game by its demo. Dunno
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Did any of you guys actually play the Dire Grove 2 game? I will always say DG was my all-time favorite game, and I avoided the second one because I didn't want to ruin my DG memory. 

Was it any good? Any input would be welcome. 

I think I'm off to finally wrangle with the Clueless Clan's latest offering. I'm on vacation, so maybe it's time for some serious stupidity. Pray for me. LOL!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I did play DG 2.   Obviously,  not as near as good as #1,  but I did enjoy it.

Now,   there is suppose to be 2 endings.   Someone might have noticed the difference;
    I remember thinking:  I missed something here.    Huh?    My usual observant self.    Snicker
    The Puzzles were HARD!

The storyline involves a feud between two different clans  (?)  and the mysterious cold
    enveloping them.
    You have to figure out what is behind it all.

I know others are better at describing games than me,  but I did play it to the end
    and didn't snark at it,  so that is a good thing.

When you play the Clueless Clan game  (she does not leave her bed)  let me know
    about when you get to the part where the guy  (Hank?  Henry?  Howard?)  has all those
    pics of our time/mind-traveling detective and if the Older One in the pic  (Angela Lansbury,
    I called it) is Auntie Detective.
    I wonder if this is the last one as the title is something like "The Final Case".

Oh, The Final Suspect.

What makes it final?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah... not there yet, luvto. My observation thus far is that this game doesn't disappoint when it comes to disappointing. What a stupid game based on a stupid family doing stupid things for stupid reasons. 

I'm not even going to spoiler this because it has no effect on the "plot" whatsoever. 

I'm about to be arrested for murder, but I decide it's a good use of my time to stop and fix the curtain rod?????????? Gah!

BTW: Why are MY letters to My sister in MY cabinet drawer? Wouldn't they be in her drawer???
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:46 pm

BTW: Why are MY letters to My sister in MY cabinet drawer? Wouldn't they be in her drawer??

Great game minds think alike. Laugh I had the exact same question. Good thing we are
    used to nonsense in games--but still.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:30 pm

When did Aunt Gray become Jessica Fletcher?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:38 am