Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+10
volnole68
luvtoread
RenaissanceMom
djrum
Momo1991
Sable
marianne
Esme
Frodo
genkicoll
14 posters

Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy Empty Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy

Post by genkicoll Fri May 30, 2014 4:45 pm

As you may (or may not) know, our landlord has given us the boot because he wants to sell the house.  After 13 years of living here, and him doing ZERO maintenance for over 10, we're not interested in buying this place... Besides, the neighborhood is noisy (especially on 4th of July and New Years!) and the stairs have just been killing my disabled husband.

Cue the search for a new place to live.  Easygoing at first, but with increasing desperation.  Every place we looked (that was suitable) was at least a hundred dollars more expensive than where we are now! EEK! 

I didn't think we could actually BUY a place... I really didn't, but those rent prices were so very high, and I was getting more and more desperate, when finally I came to a breaking point and revealed my plight to a couple of friends.

Momo (who is a member here, but non-posting at the moment) pushed me to find out if I could get a loan, and wonder of wonders, we COULD!  With no down payment, even! OH! 

Now our search expanded.  No longer were we looking for an overpriced place to rent, we were looking for a place to live for our OWN <--double meaning unintended Laugh 

The thing is... There's not a whole lot available around here that was doable for us! :(  We found one place that was super-nice -- we liked it a lot -- but for one thing, it was more expensive than I wanted to pay, and secondly, there were stairs again.  Somehow it just didn't feel like "home".

And so the search continued.

I researched and researched, Momo researched to give me help and advice any way she could, Lavendar (aka alloy, who is also a non-posting member) gave me moral support, and still, we could not find a good place.   Cry 

This last weekend was really hard on me.  We couldn't find a good place, two of the places that I was interested in were sale-pending, and we're supposed to be out of here by July 1st!  The landlord sent us a registered letter stating that we CAN stay past July 1st if we need to, but there will be a $145 spike in the rent (to encourage us to LEAVE already!)  Not like we don't WANT to Yeah right

Then came my birthday -- Memorial Day.  It was just as bad as the rest of the weekend until... My husband drove by a For Sale by Owner early in the evening and decided to stop.  Long story short (too late! Belly laugh  ) he went to see the house, then I went (because our profoundly autistic daughter had already had a bad day -- we weren't about to get her out again!), and...

I loved it! Wub  I walked in the door and said to myself, "This is it... This is where we're supposed to be!"

It's been a long and busy week, but after many phone calls, messaging, and a ton of research, we made our offer today.

. . .

and it was accepted! Happy bounce  Yahoo!  The place is now in Escrow!  WHEEEEE~!!!  We're going to have a place to live! Cry  <--happy tears now

Now that's only part of the tale of joy!

We wanted to see how our youngest (the more-obviously-autistic child) to see some of these houses to see how she'd react... and it's a good thing we did! 

The first place we took her she was terrified of.  I'm not saying a little scared, she was literally trembling with terror!

The second place (the one we liked, but did not feel like "home") she went in to OK, and she looked around a little, but she just wanted to leave.

Then yesterday, we took her to see the place we've made an offer on.  Oh my gosh, I could cry, just thinking about it!  She ran in the front door, looked around all of the rooms, then went back to the living room, plopped down on the floor, and started rocking and doing her "I'm incredibly happy" yell.  Ohhhh~!! Heart  Wub  If that's not a sign, I don't know what is!

So, we have a place to go, we all love it, it's beautiful, and the title company and bank are going to try to push this through as quickly as possible so that we can move ASAP!

Happy day~!! Happy bounce  Sunny

Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy O9fj
    Frodo
    Frodo

Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy Empty Re: Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy

Post by Frodo Fri May 30, 2014 4:56 pm

That is WONDERFUL news Genki!  I'm SO happy for you!   Happy bounce 

And your daughter liking it - that's definately a sign.  You were meant to be there.   Happy bounce 

ANd it must be a HUGE relief for you, now that you've found somewhere, and you're offer is accepted. 

*does the happy dance*   Yahoo!  Clap  Two thumbs up 

So excited for you   Sunny
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri May 30, 2014 4:58 pm

And the best part of this place?  The mortgage will be within $5 of what we've BEEN paying for rent!  Wheeee~!!! *does a happy dance* Happy bounce  *happy dances with Frodo*

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri May 30, 2014 6:53 pm

This makes me so incredibly happy for you! YAYAYAYAYAYYAYAY!!!!

Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce
    marianne
    marianne

Post by marianne Sat May 31, 2014 4:40 am

Sweet Genki   Half Flower  ...I am sooo very happy for you.  Your platter was over-flowing with challenges   Stars   ,but now a great weight has been lifted from your shoulders.   Clap     And the fact that Daughter is happy there, is a huge relief.  She has added her blessings.    Sunny 
    Rent is money gone, but owning is money invested.  So this is a wise choice and decision.   Two thumbs up 
    Hugs, Marianne    Big smile    heart flowers   Hug
    Sable
    Sable

Post by Sable Sat May 31, 2014 6:10 am

So happy for you genki, and paying a mortgage should help on your taxes.  When I bought my first (and only) home, I was taken aback about the taxes, and the water costs, etc., but I'm sure you've planned for all that.

It's great that your daughter took an immediate liking to your new home, must be a great relief to you and your DH.  Best of luck!
    Momo1991

Post by Momo1991 Sat May 31, 2014 9:34 am

YAY!!! I am so, so, so happy for you, Genki! Thank you for taking the leap of faith...

~mischief managed ;-p ~
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat May 31, 2014 10:24 am

Momo~!  You posted! XD  Be sure to adjust your settings so that you don't get an e-mail every time someone replies to this topic:  How to Disable Auto-Watching of Topics

You changed my life.  I may have ended up in the same place in the long run, but the journey was much more empowered thanks to your help and prodding.  Thank you!! Offering

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat May 31, 2014 8:22 pm

Yay, Genki!!!  Happy bounce I'm so happy for you & your family!!!!  Happy bounce
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat May 31, 2014 8:47 pm

OMG Genki, what amazing news!!!!  Yahoo! 
    SO happy for you and your family, and your daughter gave her seal of approval too! May everything go well during this next period and may you all be extremely happy in your new home.  Smile  Without ghosts, of course!  Wink
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 pm

lol~ Yeah, sans ghosts would be great! Elk grin  We're hoping they decide to stay at this place! Laugh

Here's a pic my mom took of the back yard:
    Tales of Woe and Tales of Joy Back-w10

marianne
    marianne

Post by marianne Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 am

Oooohhh...Thanks for the pic.  What a great backyard for play and enjoyment.  Cook-outs, kids laughing, pets running around, Mom soaking up some sun...And a place for an herb garden and one for the butterflies.  Perfect !!!  Well done genki.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Looks great and I couldn't be more delighted for you! This will be the best thing that ever happened to/for your family.
    Would love to own something myself but here.. in NYC?  Shock  Hopefully one day, when we move outta here, to somewhere else.  Rolling Eyes
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 pm

You're not going to believe this... When we told the landlord that we've found a house to move to, they said they might not sell this place, and they *might* re-rent it.

WHAT?  After forcing us out, you may keep the house after all?  meh 

And the kicker?  They're STILL going to charge us extra on the rent in July!  WTH!!

You know what I say?  Good riddance.  It was time for us to move on, and I know that we'll be much happier in this new place. Big smile

Momo1991

Post by Momo1991 Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm

genkicoll wrote:

You changed my life.  I may have ended up in the same place in the long run, but the journey was much more empowered thanks to your help and prodding.  Thank you!! Offering
    As always, it is my pleasure to be of service - may you be happy in your new home - a place of your own ;-)
    Momo1991

Post by Momo1991 Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 pm

genkicoll wrote:

You know what I say?  Good riddance.  It was time for us to move on, and I know that we'll be much happier in this new place. Big smile
    In life we meet many unhappy people that try to spread their unhappiness to others... the best thing to do is walk away without a word. Karma and all that jazz. I think it's kind of funny that they'll be forced to spend a ton of money fixing all the things they refused to while you were renting in order to re-rent the place (if they actually do...and who knows how long that will take) - and there is no way they'll ever have anyone as good tenants as you've been. In the end, karma will win out. Meanwhile, you'll be happily ensconced in your new home, creep-free ;-D
    marianne
    marianne

Post by marianne Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Momo1991 wrote:
    genkicoll wrote:

In life we meet many unhappy people that try to spread their unhappiness to others... the best thing to do is walk away without a word. Karma and all that jazz. I think it's kind of funny that they'll be forced to spend a ton of money fixing all the things they refused to while you were renting in order to re-rent the place (if they actually do...and who knows how long that will take) - and there is no way they'll ever have anyone as good tenants as you've been. In the end, karma will win out. Meanwhile, you'll be happily ensconced in your new home, creep-free ;-D

Well said Momo.   Smile   Everything worked out for the best.  And genki, you got your come-uppance  !!  :D   Big smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Things are going GREAT with the house.  The loan is coming along nicely, the owner has agreed to a TON of repairs* (more than I thought he would!) and it looks like everything's going to work out!  Providing that nothing new comes up, we should be moving by mid-July! Sunny

*Things that showed up during the inspection

Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm SO glad to hear that Genki   Elk grin 

You deserve it, after all the stress   Hug 

You must be really excited now   Happy bounce
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm so happy and relieved for you! This is all a very good thing for you and your family!  Hug
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:21 am

I like the picture. So glad things are going good for you.
    volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:01 am

So happy for you!!  You deserve these happy days!
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:59 am

Wow!  I disappear for a couple of months and come back to see this fabulous news.  I am so delighted for you.  Despite the challenges of owning a home, that feeling of "This Is Mine" is priceless.  Congratulations!!!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 am

genkicoll wrote:Things are going GREAT with the house.  The loan is coming along nicely, the owner has agreed to a TON of repairs* (more than I thought he would!) and it looks like everything's going to work out!  Providing that nothing new comes up, we should be moving by mid-July! Sunny

*Things that showed up during the inspection
    Woot!!! Mid-July is just around the corner.  Big smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Welcome back, pippi! Sunny  Great to see you again~!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 pm