Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+19
vervaine
kac
pippi
lackoo
heleanthia
Butterflyshrimp
sunshinej
Fairjuno
tesamoine
Sportygal2009
Frodo
jeanniemouse
jessmom01
genkicoll
RenaissanceMom
djrum
luvtoread
Esme
JustTheFacts
23 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 pm

I LOVED EFR and played it twice back-to-back.  It has a special place in my heart since sis and I went up to Seattle (6 hours away! OH!  ) to go to the pre-release party, and we had a blast! (There's a topic with pics here somewhere... Snicker  )

Did you see Victor dancing during the credits?  Lee is such a hoot! Belly laugh  He was awesome at the party.

Jessmom, I just installed episode 2 of Cognition to see where it would install, and it went into my GOG Games folder Silly face  Do you know how to do a search on your hard drive?  You could look for Cognition to see where it landed... If you don't know how, just tell me what operating system you're using (ie. Windows 7) and we'll go from there.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Do we have any RPG-players here?  The Millennium series of RPG's are on sale for just $1.00 each OH!  in this bundle sale at Groupees:

http://groupees.com/spotlight5

What a sale!  $4 for the whole series!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm not a RPG player, but that sounds like a great sale, Genki!

Our temp tonight is going low, low, low. As in beLOW zero. Again!  c-cold  Crap!

luvtoread, I haven't had a problem with the map in Shadow Shelter yet. So far, it's taken me to rooms where there is something to do, although it's not always clear what I have to do.
    I'm a little past where you're at. I've collected all my billiard balls (finally) & put them where they needed to go. I think I'm in one of the bedrooms now or maybe the nursery, possibly the library.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm

It sounds like Shadow Shelter is really more of an IHOG-lite than a straight HOG.  Haven't tried it yet (obviously) Silly face
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm

genkicoll wrote:Face Noir is made by the same folks who did Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, which was excellent (and I've only played the first chapter!)  I have no doubt that it's worth the $5.99 they're asking for it!  You can always try the demo here, first:  http://postudios.com/face_noir/ (that's Phoenix Online's official website, so it's safe Wink  )

Genki, where do you see Face Noir for %.99?  It's showing up as $19.99 for me.   Huh?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Here you go: Face Noir for $5.99.
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Ahh, thanks Genki.  I didn't find that page.   Big smile 

And £4.49 is an excellent price.     Happy bounce

EDIT:  I got Cognition: Erica Reed a while ago, from the GOG Insomnia sale, and LOVED it!  Always thought Fac Noir looks really good as well.   Smile
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 pm

OK: I officially LOVE Shadow Shelter, except for a couple of things...
    The LOADING between scenes is driving me nuts! Gah! 
    There was a disturbing scene at the beginning involving animals but, strangely, it didn't upset me like these usually do (perhaps because it was made clear that these weren't "real" animals but enchanted models).  I'd actually read the warnings in the comments and so was braced for it.

But the atmosphere is unbelievable; one of the best "true" D&E games I've seen in a long time.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:27 am

Shadow Shelter is a stunning change from recent games, isn't it? And such a surprise, coming up out of nowhere.

Yes, luvtoread, my brother-in-law, looks so much like Dalimar, even to the amount of hair on (or not on) his head. He doesn't speak in that mobile-face exaggerated way, but I bet he could! And he has got some nasty-seeming guys off in court. I say nasty-seeming because they're innocent, right, since the case couldn't be proven against them?

Also headed a spectacular trial here where the last man to ever get the death penalty (1967 or so) had taken "credit" for a murder another guy was found guilty of. 30 years down the track, brother-in-law finally gets a re-trial for this poor guy and he is found innocent!

Now, the almost as hard job of reviewing EFR!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:24 am

I have finished Shadow Shelter. A huge departure from the norm and I enjoyed it very much! I'm with you, jeanniemouse, the creepy atmosphere was wonderful!
    And as a HO scene lover, well...I loved it!
    If a Part 2 comes out, I will get it!

lol, JustTheFacts, my cousin looks just like the Dad in MCF: 13th Skull. We should get our relatives together for the next MCF, lol!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am

While I was on fb, I checked Jessica's Previews. The 2 CEs to be released are:

Myths of the World: Spirit Wolf. Developer - Eipix (I think, going by my sucky memory)

Mystery Tales: The Lost Hope. I have no clue who the Dev is.

The other games are for Pads, Fires, etc.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:20 am

Ah, thanks for the reminder.  I'll go update the thread here.  I kept looking for her update all day yesterday, but gave up at 5:00.
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:24 am

genkicoll wrote:Jessmom, I just installed episode 2 of Cognition to see where it would install, and it went into my GOG Games folder Silly face  Do you know how to do a search on your hard drive?  You could look for Cognition to see where it landed... If you don't know how, just tell me what operating system you're using (ie. Windows 7) and we'll go from there.

Thanks Genki.  I did search the hard drive & got nada (running Win 7 prof, btw).  When initially dl'ing the demo a window popped stating that the dl "may" not have been successful, did I want to do it again, & I just clicked yes.  Maybe that's what the problem is/was - it didn't dl, or maybe it uninstalled?  Your guess is definitely better than mine.  I'm sure to get the 1st chapter either way; it just looks too good to pass up.  I got Face Noir btw, & you were so right, it's definitely well worth 5 bucks!  I'm having a really good time with it, & laughing my way through it, clicking on everything 'cause the PI's smartass remarks are just too funny. Frodo, did you pick it up?  If so, hope you're enjoying it too.  Anyone who likes adventure & would enjoy a period PI mystery, i'd recommend giving Face Noir a try.  It's not D&E in the strict sense, but the unexpected comic relief makes this murder mystery an unusual & fun game. 
    Djrum, thanks for a bit of a push to demo Shadow Shelter before buying.  I'm kinda on the fence after the demo.  Love the super D&E atmosphere, graphics, & wandering thru that spooky place... but all the HOscenes were really starting to frustrate me.  i'm sitting on it for now, but might get it as a freebie 'cause I would like to know where it all ends up.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 pm

jessmom wrote:I'm sure to get the 1st chapter either way; it just looks too good to pass up.

Yeah, right Belly laugh  I got the first chapter as a prize for a contest I did, and once I played it, I knew I'd HAVE to get the whole series!  The full season (all four episodes) was just on special at GOG for $9.99, and RenaissanceMom and I both bought it.

I may be able to transfer my prize to you -- let me check with Phoenix Online and see if they'll allow it (though you'll still need the full season, I'm sure! Snicker  )
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 pm

jessmom01 wrote:
      I got Face Noir btw, & you were so right, it's definitely well worth 5 bucks!  I'm having a really good time with it, & laughing my way through it, clicking on everything 'cause the PI's smartass remarks are just too funny. Frodo, did you pick it up?  If so, hope you're enjoying it too.  Anyone who likes adventure & would enjoy a period PI mystery, i'd recommend giving Face Noir a try.  It's not D&E in the strict sense, but the unexpected comic relief makes this murder mystery an unusual & fun game. 

I got it Jessmom - for £4.49, it was just TOO good to pass up.  Thanks to Genki for the link   Happy bounce
    Haven't started playing it yet, though.  I'm currentily playing through Death At Cape Porto.  It's not a D&E game, but it's a good little mystery.   Smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Jess, I got the OK from Phoenix Online, so I'll be PM'ing the code for the first chapter shortly Yahoo!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:07 pm

I just finished demo'ing Shadow Shelter and realized why the beginning was so familiar... I'd watched the intro video to it a month or two ago and remember looking forward to it.  Big smile 

FWIW I'm not crazy about HOs but like them in this and just bought the game with a PCC.
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 pm

genkicoll wrote:
    Yeah, right Belly laugh  I got the first chapter as a prize for a contest I did, and once I played it, I knew I'd HAVE to get the whole series!  The full season (all four episodes) was just on special at GOG for $9.99, and RenaissanceMom and I both bought it.

I may be able to transfer my prize to you -- let me check with Phoenix Online and see if they'll allow it (though you'll still need the full season, I'm sure! Snicker  )

LOL Genki.  So kind of you  Heart   So please, go ahead & laugh at my fortune, I can take it  Snicker   Sounds like you & R-Mom got a phenomenal deal! 
    If you're that sure that part 1 is gonna snowball into parts 2, 3, & 4, i'm even More excited to play than I was before  Yahoo! .  I'll let you know once I get rolling on Cognition.  It's in the queue, right after I finish FN.  Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, i'd love to play FN straight thru the night & start Cog. right away.  It stinks when real life interferes with my games  Cry Speaking of RL... 5am comes mighty early so goodnight all.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:58 pm

So cool that you're able to pass that on to jessmom!  Big smile
    I'm looking forward to playing some Erica Reed... and btw Genki, are we still on for A Vampyre Story?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Yeah, absolutely!  I've got it right here, though I'm going to wait to install it 'til after work on Friday so I won't be tempted Laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 am

I am playing Amaranthine Voyage 2 and what a lovely game it is! Seriously, the graphics are beautiful! And I am really enjoying the "scrolling" silhouette hidden objects scenes, as I'm sitting here beside the fireplace freezing my butt off.
    A high of 13 degrees & a wind chill advisory of -10 until tomorrow, I'm even wearing my fingerless gloves (I crocheted them myself!). Typing is a bit difficult, though.

I will have to put Eipix right up there with the current big E developers (ERS & Elephant) making it a total of three big E developers!
    I'm always looking forward to the next Eipix game!  Big smile Which reminds me, I'll give the TGT a whirl, here in a little while. Maybe I'll thaw out some.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 am

Ditto to everything, and the new game is great too! Am almost finished AV2, love every minute, particularly the scrolling HOPs!

I on the other hand, have the fan on here! 20+C at 2am!
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 pm

RenaissanceMom wrote:So cool that you're able to pass that on to jessmom!  Big smile
    I'm looking forward to playing some Erica Reed... and btw Genki, are we still on for A Vampyre Story?

R-Mom, it surely was cool!  Big smile  Can't wait to see what made you two just go for the whole bunch of them instead of one at a time.  I do that with books sometimes -  if I get into an author, i'll pick up everything else I can find if I like the first thing I read.  Don't think I've ever done it with any games, so this may be a first for me... if Genki's prediction is correct (insert crystal ball emoticon here Smile
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:57 pm

dj---here is some more warmth for your butt... Fireplace 

hope you don't mind if I need some also.    I go from one vehicle to another and thank
    goodness for the heaters working!!  

I still am playing Shadow Shelter.   Going back to work cramps my gaming time cause I
    am tired when I get home.   And this cold really knocks it out of you. 

I am hoping A Vampyre Story goes on sale sometime soon.    The only place I have it
    on Wishlist is Gamers gate.
    It does look interesting.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm

I'm a bit late to the EfR discussion, but count me in the "loved it" category. I thought it was creepy and hilarious. Especially Mama. I know a lot of people complained, but I guess I've got a weird sense of humor because it cracked me up. 

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm behind on games big time, so I probably don't have much to contribute. I did play and enjoy Crooked Man, but then, there hasn't been a Blue Tea game I haven't liked. They just hit all my "sweet spots" you know? Other than that, I haven't played anything since Christmas. Yikes!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:48 am