Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+8
doctor
Frodo
pippi
luvtoread
Esme
Sable
RenaissanceMom
djrum
12 posters

Our Furbabies

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Our Furbabies - Page 5 Empty Re: Our Furbabies

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Wow! Do your babies have a full wardrobe?! Never done that. Obviously there are a few skills I need to master before I qualify for my Crazy Old Cat Lady award.  Cat on Moon
    doctor
    doctor

Post by doctor Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Not to many skills I should think, I mean you are already crazy.........................
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:29 pm

lol, yeah, I noticed...  Snicker

I got a particularly needy cat now, so much so that I have her curled up around me or on me all day every day, and still I let her get away with it! That post was written with one hand, so she could sit on my mouse hand! She makes Marmalade look stand-offish.  OH!

(Marmalade was my first really needy cat, and I loved her dearly as more than 'just a cat'. It was her death that sent me into my whole Crazy Cat Lady thing, for those of you who have not met her) 

How are things at the doctor's?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Just an update on my kitties:  We let Callie out of quarantine yesterday morning, and after her yowling in there for 3 days (and Ceri smelling her from under the door,) Ceri was (and is) no longer afraid of the kitten.  They spent much of yesterday chasing each other around the house! Laugh

They aren't to the sleeping side-by-side stage yet, but they're doing GREAT, and I couldn't be more relieved!

ETA: Birthday is around September 9, 2014.

Last edited by genkicoll on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Our Furbabies - Page 5 O9fj
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Oh, that's wonderful news genki! Good on you for persevering in the face of emotional blackmail  Okay
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Yep, the cats are getting along just fine Big smile
    Our Furbabies - Page 5 Cats_s10

pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:10 pm

In our Four Legged Children saga, the cat went to a new home and we just got a new kitten.  Oddly enough, the super social likes every animal in the world teenage kitten is not. at. all. excited about the new arrival.  We think she'll come around soon.  (We hope.)  We're trying Justie's "throw them together" method mixed with the Door Divide.
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 am

We're to the point where Elder Kitten eyes Tiny Kitten suspiciously but without malice.  Hope is blooming.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Well Ceri was absolutely terrified of the kitten for the first few days (they were separated by a door, but any time she had a visual, she'd freak out.)  Now the kitten attacks her (playing), and Ceri will patiently put up with it for a while... Then pin Callie down and clean her! Belly laugh  So cute! Wub

In other words, just giving it time will probably make all the difference! :D

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Yay! Both kitty kat parents! Your cats are learning to become civilized!  Happy bounce Happy bounce 

Once Ceri does the patient thing, all will be well, genkicoll. In fact you could probably bring half a dozen kittens in now. Okay Believe it or not, it means she's the boss, and little Callie has a new mum!  Elk grin

Your four-legged chick is working on that still, pippi, but she'll get there.

My first ever mummy cat got pregnant too early, Oops! because I didn't know they could get pregnant so young, and she was absolutely terrified of her own kittens!  OH! 

Spent 3 days (and nights) camping out in the closet with her to ensure she fed and cleaned them! Belly laugh  Finally, I had enough and moved back to the bed. It was a hot summer's day and fell asleep naked. Woke up with tiny little claws crawling all over my body! She'd brought them up out of the closet, and left them with me!  Belly laugh 

One of the most loved moments of my life.  Heart Heart Heart Heart

Another was so maternal, she hunted and captured a wild baby rabbit, and brought it home to clean and feed it! (Unfortunately couldn't keep it, rabbits here have a lot of parasites and endemic diseases.) Cry
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Oh my gosh, that really is a powerful maternal instinct! :o  Reminds me of the lioness who kept trying to adopt antelope babies!

Here's a pic my nephew took (with hubby holding her):
    Our Furbabies - Page 5 Callie10

She looks like such an angel, doesn't she? Heart

... Don't be fooled, she's a little hellion! Belly laugh

pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Our new kitten is a real hellion, too, Genki.  Elder Kitten quickly got to the OK I have a kitten point.  She was amazingly quick to accept her and be nice.  The baby kitten is mean as a snake, however.  So now Elder Kitten pointedly ignores Baby Kitty because she is so rude.  Constantly biting, gnawing, clawing, yowling ... Elder Kitten tries to groom her and soothe her, the Baby Kitty just swats her and hisses. 

Since The. Only. Reason. we got a second kitten was to give Elder Kitten a playmate, we think this one is Going Back to Foster Care.  She's not interested in playing.

Neither human is overly attached to the kitten, either - we have each caught the other trolling Petfinder.  That tells us she may not be the correct new addition to our family.  But we feel like real schmucks for adopting her and returning her.  WHAT TO DO?!?!  Help!!!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Our kitten is a hellion, but not mean... That's a whole different situation.  We got Callie for the same reason you got your kitten -- to keep our older kitty company.  For the first few days I was so afraid that it wasn't going to work out, but these two follow each other around now Heart 

In your situation I think that it wouldn't be in anyone's best interests to keep the kitten.  Take her back and let them know it would be best for the kitten to be placed in a single-cat home, then find yourself a kitty that will become your older cat's best bud. Offering

pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:08 pm

So your new baby was sweet to your bigger baby pretty quick, Genki?  That is good news.  I've never had two cats I got at different times before, but it seems most of my friends who have added cats have not reported cat fights and hissing contests after the first week or so.  This little one just won't stop trying to bite the big one ... and while the big one is exceedingly patient, when she reaches her Stop It Now point, if she retaliates she could hurt the little one.  I'll take any and all advice, so it feels good to know I am not a terrible person for sending the kitten back.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Callie is fearless, and she does bite a lot, but never out of fear or anger... It's just her way to show affection, I think (though we're trying to break her of it!)  Ceri was terrified of Callie at first, but we kept them separated for the first four days, and by the time we let them be together, Ceri had gotten over her fear and was just curious.  When Callie gets too aggressive with her playing, Ceri will do one of two things:  a.) Pin Callie down and clean her, or b.) Run away and hide for a while Silly face

I've already given my advice, based on what you've posted.  Hopefully others will pop in and give their two cents, too Smile

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi pippi!

I am thinking pretty much as genki said as well. The problem cat in my household, I never should have accepted in the first place, because she was aggressive/fearful from the very beginning, and it is sooo hard to retrain them, if they've decided they're a one cat kinda kitty.

Better for everyone to try with a different kittycat. Mind you, from the moment I saw my little Jackpot (all fluffy and grey and cute) stand up to my big boy Bobo (the world's most tolerant male cat ever to grace the earth) with her tiny little paws and her itsy bitsy growl, I was a goner.

I just LOVE hellions!  Black cat Our Furbabies - Page 5 Love
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:29 pm

I like hellions, too ... just not the mean and nasty kind.  I like the kind who will play until they drop and then look like angels. 

Looks like we'll be shopping for a new sister for Elder Kitten next week!

So Justie, is Jackpot the one cat you wish you hadn't taken?  Will I regret not keeping this little Banshee?
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Jackpot (Jackie) is the one cat that really would have been happier in a single cat home, and I often think (or am told) that for her sake, I should find a new home for her. But that just brings out the rebel in me too!  La la la! La la la! La la la!

And we are way too close for it not to be very painful to change. Luckily, Feliway has helped her and the others all down enough so that they are not stressing her (or me) out.  Snicker Now I can't get her to leave me alone, since she now feels as if the whole house is her territory Rolling Eyes

I did have one kitten I simply couldn't get to toe the line, even with Bobo ruling the populace - he used to use the "pin down and groom to death" way of asserting seniority too - very effective. Maybe kittens above a certain age get embarrassed when adults treat them like newborns. Belly laugh

Come to think of it, he was grey and fluffy too. Maybe a lesson to learn there.  

Anyway, I did find him a new home, after a few months of trying to get him settled in. He went to a lovely old lady who was bedridden and enjoyed the company. He adores his new life, but I miss heaps, even though it's been years now since he was with me. So it is hard to say. I have rehomed about 100 kittens over the years, and there are very few I actively miss, if you get a home for them at 6-8 weeks old, I've found, both you and the kitty will probably make the change without too many tears. How old is the hellion? Oh - my Jackie play-bites just a little too hard, and a little too often to be all kittenish fun too.
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:13 pm

The kitten is 13 weeks old.  We've had her for 2 weeks.  Elder Kitten (EK) decided she was fine with her after a couple of days.  The baby kitten will not tolerate grooming At. All.  Talk about a snarl fest.  Whoo!  She won't snuggle or sleep with the EK (not that Banshee sleeps ever - she is the "awakest" kitten I have ever seen!), EK never uses her claws or bites until the little one has gone too far. 

I'd hate to give her back before she has a real chance, but at the same time the longer we keep her the harder it will be for her to find a home.  Sigh.  I guess my real fear is - how do I know this is not a good fit?  

I just remember EK as a baby - she was a real hellion for sure, but always the sweetest, most loving thing.  Into everything.  Chewed more cords than I want to remember.  Got into more things she shouldn't have than I care to admit.  Feisty and independent, but full of love and sweetness.  I want another cat like her.  I don't want one that bites and claws...for fun.  Perhaps I am asking too much!  I can be quite demanding.  Laugh
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Edited to make sense! Embarrassed 

Nuh! You are not a horrible kitten hating mummy! Some kids (and kittens) are just not very friendly. Sometimes they just prefer the company of other cats, like my youngest now. He is affectionate and playful, to the point of pushing their patience, other cats. People? Boring!!

Until bedtime, when he will snuggle up to you on the sly!  Snicker And he is always happy for a pat if he is standing still, and you offer. But he never stands still! And Schizi is almost 5 years old and it is only in the last year that she has slowed down enough to sit sorta-still on my lap. Some cats just warm up slowly.

Have you tried squirting her with water when she does mean stuff? Or making a loud sharp sound? Anything that startles them makes them generally avoid that activity. I use "nice" as my word for their manners. And they know what is civilized and what's not by whether I squirt or clap my hands, and go "Nice!" "Play nice!"

It'll be much harder to retrain her, any older than she is now, she's at the age where she will no longer be attractive to potential owners and that's an issue too. Much as you may want to give her a chance, you'd best not let too much longer go by.

God, sometimes I never shut up! Hope that all helps.
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:51 am

Yes, it helps.  We're calling the foster and returning her (hopefully) tomorrow.  I've tried the the water, the loud noise - both just make her more aggressive.  Trying to 'stop this behavior with kindness' (i.e. petting her, cooing at her, etc) doesn't work, either, she tries to claw us.

Thanks, Justie.  I think while I still feel guilty, this is the right decision.  Your guidance and comments are really, really helpful.  I consider you my Cat Expert friend.  Offering
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:42 am

This post reserved for Callie -- to be added later.

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 am

After the tragic death of our baby Callie on Sunday, November 30th, we wanted to wait a bit before getting another kitty, but by yesterday, it was clear that sooner was better than later.  I spent the whole day trying desperately to find one that would be suitable -- Female, under 5 months old, short to medium-haired, and above all else, a cuddler that would sleep with eldest at night.  By the end of the day, after trying to go to the humane society (they're closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays Huh?  ), and many e-mails responding to ads later, I had just about given up hope. 

On a whim I called Friends of Felines to see what time they closed, even though I was just there the day before (on Monday).  They didn't close until 6, so I had time to stop by after work!  I didn't have high hopes since I'd been there the day before, but I borrowed my mom's pet carrier, and went anyway.

It was amazing... I walked in the door, and the first thing I saw, ten feet in front of me, was this cute little baby:
    Our Furbabies - Page 5 New_ki10 (not a very good pic)

I was immediately interested, but needed to see what her personality was like.  I opened the cage and picked her up, and she was already purring.  Oh my gosh, is she a lover!  Very sweet, but bold and inquisitive, JUST what I was looking for, since our youngest is VERY noisy, and often throws her toys when she's done with them (loud! *winces*)

I was enamored, but put her back in her cage, and went to look at the other kittens.  It became apparent very quickly that the other kitties were not going to be suitable -- I'd seen them all the day before, after all!

It turns out that this little darling had just come in from foster care 20 minutes before I arrived! OH!  She had just been fixed the day before, and was ready to be adopted! Happy bounce  My mind was made up very quickly, and I went to fill out the paperwork.

Here's a pic of her being cuddled right before I put her in the carrier to take her home:
    Our Furbabies - Page 5 New_ki11 (Yes, I was wearing my Christmas scrubs yesterday!)

She's a tabby with a really prominent orange blaze (which isn't really evident in the pics), with great big paws and white ear tufts in her over-sized ears like a lynx has.

She was scared during the car ride home, as most cats are, but even scared, she would not use her claws on me! What a good baby!  Wub

My eldest was really excited to meet the new kitty, and both she and my husband were smiling when they met her.  The name Jasmine had popped into my head unbidden during the ride home, so I mentioned it to my eldest, but left it to her to choose the name.  After cuddling with the kitty for about an hour, eldest decided that she loves the name Jasmine, and will call her Jazzy for short. Smile  Jasmine slept with eldest all night long, which was just what we were hoping for.

Although the hole in our hearts from Callie's passing is still there, we know that Jasmine will help to heal that wound faster than the passage of time alone.

Pippi, how's your situation going?

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:18 pm

I  am so sorry to hear about Callie!  Half Flower

I am sure you will let us know when you are up to it.

But Jazzy sounds heavenly, and sometimes, a cat will walk into our lives seeming by accident, just when you need her the most. I am hoping Jazzy will be the cat that helps to heal you and your family

Hug
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Oh, Genki, Jazzy is adorable!  I am sooo glad you found a new kitty!

We've still got our little demon, but she's going back to the foster soon.  Our older cat is trying her best to socialize her and improve her temperament.  It isn't working.  The baby is going to make somebody a great pet ... she just isn't right for our family! 

Whereas Jazzy didn't claw you at all - my arms and hands (and ankles, of course) are covered in red welts and scratches.  It's just too much aggression; we need a gentler (but playful) soul.

Maybe I should send you kitten shopping for me!  Ha. 

Truly, we are just delighted you found Jazzy.  How does Ceri like her?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm