Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+10
ddr_cyclone102
sunshinej
BloomingLilac
tesamoine
jboliver1999
RenaissanceMom
pippi
genkicoll
djrum
Frodo
14 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by djrum Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi tesamoine! Elk grin

Personally speaking...I don't even know why I keep buying games featuring the Dumb-Dumb 
    family. Huh?  

I have a notebook of passwords around here, somewhere. Otherwise, I would never remember them because I CRS! Laugh
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:15 am

Hi Tesamoine! Great to see you back.

Welcome!

Ladies and gentlemen, I wish to inform you, if you haven't already noticed it, that the Daily Deal today sounds dark eerie and downright gross. i.e. just what you all love.  Okay

To quote blackwaterrules,

"The creep factor in this game is off the chart. It is dark, eerie, creepy, gory, gross, just the way I like it." Two thumbs up

But be warned, many like me will be unable to play it because, again quoting BWR: There is a slaughter of a beautiful pet by a hideous demon"  Big No No

Not this week, thanks Big Fish. And, thank you BWR, for the warning. Several other reviews didn't even mention it.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:00 pm

That is good to know. I'll pass. No slaughtered pets for me. If you can't make a game creepy and eerie without that, then you don't deserve my money. 

Sorry, not sorry!

Um.... what is the game we are talking about? Mystery of the Elephant?

Yup... just checked. It's Mystery of the Elephant. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 Happy-dancing-elephant-smiley-emoticon
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:12 am

Wow, I'm playing Echoes of the Past: Wolf Healer and what a yawnfest it is! Yawn

You have to change your "hand" into a wolf's paw to accomplish certain tasks. Heck, I haven't left castle grounds yet and I'm already bored to tears.
    Our little girl character has fallen into a mud puddle and I'm now trying to find clothes for her.  Rolling Eyes

Geesh, Orneon, what in the world's happened to your fun, innovative games? Really, I'm not all about CE Bling... morphing objects, achievements, collectibles, etc., but I do like an interesting storyline.

Oh well, I'm glad I only got the SE with an expiring PCC.

And, truthfully, I'm having a difficult time finding games to use my PCCs on. Until the newly owned BFG releases more SEs, I'm going to quit buying so many CEs.
    It makes absolutely no sense to accumulate PCs or PCCs when you can't find a good HOG SE.

Nothing against TMs, M3s, Strategy, Builders, and so on... I'm just waiting on a good HOG SE.

Y'all don't go ballistic on me because I said that, please.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:14 am

Yeah,  I saw that and decided to pass.

On dj's recommendation,  I tried HH:  Death Sentence.  I bought it yesterday
    with the BOGO and really am enjoying it.
    Which is surprising,   compared to my incredible dislike of the last one.   rollingpin

I am playing with headphones on and at one point I heard this woman singing.  Singing
    Nice touch.
    Also,   I am at the point in the game where the case I came across reminds me of
    one of Agatha  Christie's  Miss Marple stories.    

The only crabby observation I can make  (and this is not the only game guilty of this)
    is the Black Bar comments.
    How can our intrepid Detective not know who the person we've just found is  when we've
    just gathered up information on them, (you know its not good news for that person) yet know about someone who we didn't even  know existed yet?

And why do they not have a clue as to the state we will find such person?    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 107

Also---I said this before---why do we need gloves when the hands are already
    wearing gloves?
    I think the dev's  have a warped sense of humor at times.  Big smile
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 am

dj-Hi there--I wished you had mentioned that game earlier.  I would have told you
    to not bother.

I found I could not finish the demo cause l,  too,  also found it boring.

Have you played the other 2 games you mentioned earlier--I think you mentioned
    the 4 Horsemen?
    Anyway,   you will like those two you mentioned.

I took a look--yup, Lost Legends: the 4 Horsemen was good. I even finished
    the Bonus game--which is saying something. Laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:24 am

I really did enjoy the latest HH. Big smile Of course, nothing will ever come close to HH: Charles Dexter Ward. That was one scary game, for real!

I'm debating putting EotP: Yawnfest aside and tackling MCF: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove but those killer mechanical puzzles scare me and I don't want a headache today. Big smile
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 am

That's okay, luvtoread. Big smile Normally, I'm a huge fan of the Echoes series and I have all of them.

In fact, I was a huge fan of Orneon's games.

Yes, I do have The Four Horsemen. I love this developer (formerly an Alawar developer).
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:30 am

Have you ever noticed that sometimes, the black bar comments disappear before you can even read them?
    Okay, so I'm busy looking at my pretty scenery and I get the "objectives/tasks" box, maybe an achievement/collectible box or a location text, or my "helper" butts in...well, by the time I get done reading all that, my black bar comment is gone. Laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 pm

That has happened to me a lot is Phantasmat 3, DJ. It's frustrating, and perhaps has lead to some of my confusion... though I'm sure not all of it.

For example:
    Sure, spoiler. Why not? Not that it will make the game may any more or less sense! :

I just don't know. Nor do I care at this point. It was an entertaining, but illogical game. Just my cuppa! tealove
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:50 am

I think you're right, Esme. Maybe I lose somewhat important info because I never got a chance to read it. I will check my journal/diary to see if something's in there or not.

Okay, I'm still playing EotP and though I'm not liking the gimmick of changing my hand into a wolf's paw nor am I in love with the storyline, I do like the variety of HO scenes and the gameplay progression.
    Also, I think the game is well-developed with attention paid to small details.
    It's not on the easy side, but it's not so hard I'm getting frustrated.

I did beta Cadenza: The Kiss of Death last night and I really liked it. The story involves the same jazz club from the first game (The Jazz Pepper Club, I think that's the name), murder mystery intrigue, and a certain femme fatale with a deadly kiss....
    I'm looking forward to the release! (And I loved the first Cadenza!)
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:11 pm

You are a better woman than I am then, DJ. I have a personal grudge against the journals for some reason. I almost never open them, though I do open maps if I can quick jump that way. 

I do not know why. It's one of my special "quirks" that make me so very ME!  Silly face

Right now I'm playing Fishdom 3 because I don't want to start a new game and have to pay attention to anything silly like plot or directions. Pfft!

What do you guys play when you're not playing your regular games? (If that makes any sense) I guess I mean as "filler" games. Anything fun you can recommend?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:58 pm

My go-to's are the Chocolatier games, FaeVerse Alchemy, Cave Quest (I've played the heck out of that game!), Runespell Overture (it's a battle solitaire game, very well-presented), Warlock: Master of the Arcane, Civ II, etc.

As far as the journals go, it's probably because the devs seem to insist upon adding spoilers in there! >_<

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 O9fj
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm with you esme, I don't usually remember to open the journals etc unless the game specifically requires you to - codes recorded there, map there, or achievements.

I don't know why either, except that arrogant side of me that figures she knows all she needs to to do anything - you know, the 'when all else fails, read the instructions" me.

I also have a go-to "time out" game. In those rare moments when I am not obsessing over my dragon database, I play Midnight Castle. I like this one (more than Nightfall - Dupin's F2P game) because it is very easy, has no plot to speak of, and can be done for just a moment, or for an hour or so if you wish. I play this about 1 hour per day, and have never even felt tempted to spend any money. It is very repetitious, and moves forward very slowly if you don't use $$$, but that's kinda the point, isn't it?
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:39 am

genki--I am so stuck on Runespell.    I have to defeat the Tutelary Warden that starts
    off with  one thousand    points..or whatever you call them.
    I know how I am suppose to defeat it....doing it is a different story!!

One of my go-to games is Scrabble.  I have actually beat the computer a few times!

A new Cadenza- Two thumbs up --I really enjoyed the first one.  

I am now playing Hans Christian Andersen's  Tin Soldier.   What a fun game.
    I realized I bought the first Christmas game last year and never played
    it.  I will have to remedy that situation!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:55 am

lol, I don't like to check my journal cause it's mostly rehashed information, though I will check it to make sure I haven't missed anything.
    Also, if it's one of those flashing, jumping around journals, I'll click it just to stop it from flashing or jumping around. That gets annoying after awhile and for some reason, I can't ignore it!

My "filler" games are usually a solitaire game (can't remember which one I've got now since I gave up on the other one), Arizona Rose 2 or Mystery PI: Curious Cove (I think that's the name, heck, I don't pay attention to the titles). Laugh  
    I like all those Pop-Cap, Spin-Top games. Only HOs and lots of them! Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:26 am

Oh, I forgot about the journals that jump and blink and flash for attention. So needy. I hate those games. I get nagged enough all day by people and things that want my attention. I don't need it in a game that I'm using to escape reality! LOL

I'm happy about a new Cadenza. I enjoyed the first one. Perhaps not as much as everyone else did, but I did like it.  Okay
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:26 am

I love HOPs, but I hate those Spin-Top, Pop-Cap games! They're just not pretty enough!!! Why should a visually more appealing game be more difficult to put together? It was my first and still is, my grumble with HOPAs. Why can't we have simple story lines, with loads of beautiful HOP scenes, without all that difficult puzzle stuff and detective work?
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 am

lol, Justie, you and I would be the only ones who'd buy them! Snicker

Everybody else would think they're too boring! Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:40 am

I always find it funny that I started playing HO games that were straight HO, but the more I played and found the HOPA games, the more I liked the puzzle/adventure part... though I've never played a straight adventure game that I know of. And I'd love to successfully play an LFA game, but when I do, I'm hopelessly, helplessly lost. I still have visions of poor Watson walking in circles and bumping into things because I didn't know what to do. 

Embarrassed
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:33 am

Not all LF games are like SH--what I mean is that there are those that are easier to
    manuever the characters. I have played enough of them and even I find it hard to
    walk those two around! I do admit that I really enjoy those SH games.
    I can relate to being annoyed by those journals that "nag" at you after you read the info.
    But there are some games where if you do not open them, you miss something that was
    stuck in them that you need. Or, there was one game that had information in it that
    apparently was a future know it all, as it had info on stuff I had not even come across
    yet. I cannot remember the name, just it annoyed me.

I see there is a new game out today where a daughter has to be saved by a witch.
    Again.
    I also see there are lots of there more posts in the tech problems section than in the
    reviews (dj pointed that out in Genki's game post).

So, will pass that up for now. Guess the Witch wins this one.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Yes, luvtoread, I've seen those futuristic journals, too! Laugh

Please be sure to demo Mystery Tales 2 before purchasing, even if you beta-tested it.

I won't be demo'ing, I still have a backlog of games to play.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 am

I'm still playing wit da fishes. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 Fishing

I actually had to go in and look up how to pass one level on the FB forums. I had to go in and adjust the difficulty settings! It's hard! Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 Fish-head-smash-smiley-emoticon

I probably have too much emotionally invested in the game too. The pet fish talk to you and say silly things and I back-sass them. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 Fish-2-smiley-face Then they want food and you have to clean their tanks... I might as well clean my own house! Though I can't do that while wrapped up in an afghan on my couch. Still, they are needy little buggers.

I should probably find something dark and eerie to play. It's less stress!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 am

esme you have absolutely the best smilies lol. Had to add the boot to my private collection lol
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:55 am

LOL Thanks, Justie!

I just use my google-fu skills and search for emoticons. 
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 13 Samurinja_vs__Karate_Master_by_PedroPinguim
    I enjoy it probably way too much. LOL

PS. Is anyone interested in the best lower-fat chicken noodle soup recipe I've ever had? I'm not sure if anyone reads and uses my recipe posts. LOL Just let me know!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:55 am