Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

How to Play Old Games on Newer Computers

genkicoll
    genkicoll

How to Play Old Games on Newer Computers Empty How to Play Old Games on Newer Computers

Post by genkicoll Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 am

I have Win 10, 64-bit.  When I tried to launch an old game, I saw a window for it, but it never loaded.  I tried troubleshooting it, but THIS game simply is not compatible with newer systems.  Still, it made me realize that there are a lot of people who don't know how to do this, so I've written you a tutorial! Big smile

First, go to the folder where the game is located.  I install my games from Big Fish at their their default location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mystery Case Files - Dire Grove

SIDE NOTE:  Going into one of your game's installation directory and using the game's .exe will bypass the Big Fish game manager.  I don't like the thing popping up, so I tend to find the .exe and set a desktop shortcut so that I can find it again easily.

The .exe for Dire Grove is called MCF6Standard.  Upon double-clicking to enter, I got the same result as going through the GM -- a game window appearing, but never loading -- so the game manager is not the culprit.

Next I tried messing with the compatibility settings. 

To do this, right-click on the .exe and choose Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab.  If you know which version of Windows to try, great, and if not, click on the 'Run compatibility troubleshooter' button, then 'Try recommended settings'.  For Dire Grove it said that the setting is Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).  Upon clicking 'Test the program...', once again, same result, so I tried Windows 7, tested and... No dice! T_T

Although it didn't help in this case, whenever an old game doesn't work, this is your first step.  It will save you a lot of time that would have been spent trying to contact Customer Service!

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm