Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Empty Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle

Post by genkicoll Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Forgotten Places: Regained Castle
    by Sun Gift Games - November, 2016

Series links: Forgotten Places 1: Lost Circus; Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle

Available at:
    Alawar
    Big Fish
    Steam

Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Forgotten-places-regained-castle_feature

When Jane was a child, she tragically lost her parents in an accident. It's now the early 20th century and Jane is a young woman trying to keep the past behind her. It's clearer than ever that her past will always be a part of her when she receives a letter from her guardian, Sir Charles Willmore, who lives in an ancient ancestral castle. Upon opening the envelope, she finds an empty sheet inside on which the message "You're next!" magically appears. Jane hurriedly gathers her belongings and heads to Sir Charles to ask for an explanation. Jane could never have anticipated what was waiting for her.

• Visit 54 unique and atmospheric screens
    • Uncover the castle's secrets
    • Enjoy 15 Hidden Object scenes
    • Find 21 mini-games and 14 puzzles
    • Earn prizes, bonuses and other surprises

Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Screen1
    Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Screen2
    Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Screen3
    madth3
    madth3

Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Empty Re: Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle

Post by madth3 Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I just got this game from the IG bundle so I'll be playing it eventually.

It seems from your posts that the story does not follow the first game in the series, so I wouldn't have to wait for it on Steam.

Thanks, as always!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle Empty Re: Forgotten Places 2: Regained Castle

Post by genkicoll Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Forgotten Places: Regained Castle (IHOG)

An interactive hidden object game with a slightly rough start, but a great overall experience.

Options include separate sliders for music and SFX (the game has no voice-overs), custom cursor, language (six choices) and left-handed mode (that's a new one to me!)  Three modes to choose from, though if you want all of the achievements, you'll have to play through Expert mode at some point.

We have an interactive map that shows where you are and active areas aka "Places of Quest" (indicated by a hand), and you can jump to a new location by selecting it on the map, then clicking on the image of the location that pops up.  Very handy (hurr hurr) since this is a long game with a lot of locations!

My early impressions of the game were tainted by a few annoyances.  No voice-overs and imperfect (though not terrible) English, a seemingly-airheaded protagonist, and using inventory items is drag-and-drop (I'm so used to clicking on an inventory item, then clicking on the scene that this threw me off.  Add to this the fact that you have to click on the forward (aka continue) button to progress in the story - and you can't do ANYTHING else until the dialogue is finished - and you can see why I was a little disgruntled.

I should mention that you CAN skip the cutscenes and dialogue, but I love a story in my games, so the skip button was a no-go for me.

Let's get to the good points of the game!

Once I got past my early prejudices, I realized that this really is a quality game.  It has some beautiful graphics, it's long without getting boring, lots of adventure, and not a ton of hidden object scenes.  In fact, I actually forgot that it was a HOG for a while because it had been so long since the last scene had popped up!

There is NO misclick penalty on the HO scenes.  I actually tried finding everything I could without looking at the list, so I didn't notice whether there were any mislabled items.

Movement is a bit different than I am used to.  Sometimes we have arrows for movement, and other times we have to back out of the scene using an arrow at the top right of the screen.

The story was interesting, despite the fact that I found our heroine's actions (and reactions) to be wholly unrealistic.  What she was experiencing should have been absolutely terrifying, but everything is downplayed so much that there really isn't any fear factor to speak of.  That'll be good news for those who don't like anything scary in their games, of course!

There are 16 music tracks, and they are both very nice and appropriate to the setting.  My only gripe with the music is that it it starts over every time you move to a new scene, and I would have liked to see a more seamless approach.

We have 35 achievements in the game, and as mentioned above, you'll need to finish the game on expert mode to get them all.  No using hints or skips (even though they ARE still available in Expert mode!) to get the complete set.

There are 57 Butterflies to find - one at each location - and there is of course an achievement for finding them all.  Wouldn't you know that I got 56/57?! D\\'oh! 

Almost every scene in the game remains accessible right up to the very end of the game, but there are a few exceptions:  Your place (the room where you start), the bottom of a well, and a doorway-puzzle towards the beginning of the game.  This puzzle is where I missed my one butterfly, and the game is so long (and my backlog so deep) that I won't be replaying to get my final butterfly any time soon! *siiiigh* :p

Once you complete the main game, you'll unlock the Extras, which are accessible via the main menu.  There you will find the aforementioned music tracks, 15 hidden object scenes (the same ones you did in the main game), 27 wallpapers and a collection of butterflies "book". 

Completing each of the HOS in the Extras section will earn you a piece of stained glass, and when this is completed, you'll get another achievement.

The Wallpapers have an option which I've never seen available before - you can remove the (game) title and/or the framing before saving them!  What a nice touch!

As for the Butterfly Collection, it showcases all 57 of the butterflies that you find during the game, each of them totally unique!

Although there are some aspects of the game mechanics that feel awkward, this ended up being a very enjoyable game for me - one which I will revisit once my backlog stops screaming for attention.  For now I will leave this with a feeling of time well-spent, and a positive recommendation for all of my casual adventure-loving friends. Okay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:54 pm