Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas

Esme
    Esme

Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas Empty Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas

Post by Esme Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 pm

I made this recipe today, and it is a keeper. It's healthy, and quick, and easy.... and really tasty.

http://sweetlifebake.com/2013/09/25/spicy-grilled-hummus-tostadas/#axzz2prL0Zt2e ( I wish it would let you see the picture, but I don't know how to make it do that. Sorry!)

I made a few modifications based on my version of a Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip recipe I use a lot.

My mods:

1. Put a thin layer of reduced fat onion and chive cream cheese on the bottom... then add the hummus. Trust me. It makes the dish!

2. Brown the tostada in a dry frying pan until it is brown and crispy. It will be easier to eat and adds a satisfying crunch.

3. You can adapt the toppings as you like. I leave off cilantro because, ew cilantro. I added a few kalamata olive slices and some grilled chicken cubes. You could also add feta cheese. I'm not sure why I didn't add feta because I love it. I will next time. I used plain hummus because I don't like roasted red pepper hummus, so you can use whatever kind you like!

4. Sprinkle the top with some dried dill if you like it. Gives it an even more complex flavor. YUMMY!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas Empty Re: Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas

Post by genkicoll Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Sounds delicious! Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas Smiley-eatdrink021

Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas O9fj
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:10 pm

It really is delicious, Genki. I thought maybe some folks might be trying to eat more healthfully like I am, so I thought I'd share.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:20 am

It does sound delicious, and I'm making a bunch of them tonight for an easy supper. Thanks!!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 am

I am excited! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 am

I decided to write up exactly how I made mine since the recipe link I provided is for a more Mexican tostada than Mediterranean.

Super Easy Mediterranean Tostadas

Ingredients:

Flour tortillas- I use the small ones... 4 inches
    Reduced Fat Onion and Chive Cream Cheese Spread
    Hummus- whatever flavor you like
    Chopped cucumber
    Chopped tomatoes
    Cooked, cubed chicken breast
    Kalamata olive slices
    dried dill

Directions:

Place the flour tortillas in a dry pan and toast them until they are browned and crispy. Remove from pan and let cool just long enough so the cream cheese won't melt. Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese on the tortilla. Spread a layer of hummus over the cream cheese. Sprinkle the cucumber, tomatoes, chicken and olives on top of the hummus. Top with a light sprinkling of dill.

You could also add crumbled feta if you're feeling cheesy. You could also add some chopped purple onion if you are so inclined. Or chopped parsley if you're not into dill.

Slice it like a pizza if you want to make it an appetizer.

Last edited by Esme on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am

Yummy! I am making it more Mexican-ish and will add cilantro, shredded seasoned chicken and a little grated cheddar. Ooh and maybe a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt and/or salsa.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Awesome! I'm trying to think of all kinds of variations since the hubs actually likes these and they're healthy. I bet I could do an Asian style one with shredded carrots and snap peas... gotta think of a flavoring though. Hmmm.... Maybe something with ginger and soy sauce?

Maybe just some toasted, slivered almonds and a drizzle of sesame oil. YUM!

Gotta think!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 pm