Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+6
JustTheFacts
luvtoread
djrum
kac
genkicoll
pippi
10 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Esme
    Esme

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by Esme Fri May 24, 2019 2:51 pm

I just played the biggest turd sandwich of a beta I have seen in a long time. Ladies and gentlemen, may I humbly suggest you avoid "Rite of Passage: Bloodlines" at all costs.

Here is the feedback I left on the post-beta survey:
    This game is so dumb. I've already mentioned the magic conch... that I had no idea I had to use in place of oh, I don't know, actual science? And gee, there's a woman bleeding to death, but let me carve up a wooden bear first. That's a great idea. And a fisherman who just lets me take all the junk I want from the yard as long as I leave him alone?

There's a dumpster fire in this game, and somehow that seems apropos for this dumpster fire of a game.

Dumpster Fire.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri May 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Oh, and Genki, my security program apparently won't let me open your spoiler... nor can I post emotiocons and gifs.... HOWEVER....

Knowing that it's from a Puppetshow game, I know it's stupid without even reading it. The Puppetshow games started off interesting and quickly descended into stupidity. :(
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri May 24, 2019 4:00 pm

RE: PuppetShow 2: Souls of the Innocent

Aw man, it's no fun if you can't see my rant!  Let me UN-spoiler that for you!

SPOILER INCOMING!

I have to say that I was super-irritated by a couple of tasks in the game.  My biggest gripe is with the bonus.

We have a street light with a lit candle inside, and a file nestled behind the candle.  We need that file, but we can't just blow out the candle.  Ohhh, no!  Of course not!  So what do we have to do?

You're going to love this...

Find a bottle, find a cork, find a wine tap, fill up the bottle, cork it... and use FRICKIN' ALCOHOL to put out the candle!! Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 12 1339004300  Are you freaking kidding me??  Sure, no one specified that it was wine - and it WAS green - but c'mon!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri May 24, 2019 6:32 pm

I expect nothing more from Puppetshow games. They are second only to the Grey/Gray family nonsense IMO.

Well, only because the Twisted Lands series died a painful (I hope) death. That series is my barometer of stupidity!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 pm

I just finished Mystery Trackers: Black Isle, and OH. MY. GAWD.

The devs made a token attempt at reality early on:  Oomph, too heavy, I'll need a wheelbarrow. *lugs wheelbarrow up a ladder* *manages to lift incredibly-heavy, large item into wheelbarrow* *takes the whole thing DOWN A LADDER*  At this point I just threw my hands up in the air and gave in, knowing that this would be an adventure in "game logic".

It got worse from there, especially in the bonus chapter.  Let's wake up this sleeping polar bear so that we can gain its trust and get to the puzzle behind it.

Wake up a sleeping, heaping pile of fur and fangs.  Right.  But wait, setting off fireworks twenty feet away won't do it.  Oh no no, it slept right through that.  A tiny barking dog will do the trick, though! Overreaction  Good lord.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:02 am

LOL That is the one I called "Soggy Mystery Trackers" and I hated it. In fact, I never finished it.

Right now I've finished the main game of the "Iron Rock" MT game and it's not amazing, but not horrible either. Not sure if I'll go and do the bonus chapter or not. Meh.
    I'm currently downloading Fatal Evidence: Cursed Island because I remember liking the beta. We shall see if it lives up to the hype!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Esme wrote:I just looked at BFG and there is ANOTHER Edgar Allan Poe game in the series. I. Just. CANNOT.

This, according to the reviews, is the tenth game that is tangentially related to Poe's Dupin stories.

I can accept the addition of Dupin to the games because it makes a good plot vehicle, and ties all of the games together.  I can go that far, at least.

I just finished The Tell-Tale Heart, and I am really ticked off.  I liked the story, even though it had absolutely nothing to do with Poe.  I thought it was really interesting when coupled with the gameplay and graphics, but the tie-in to Poe's work was piss-poor, AND the ending gave no answers at all.  I enjoy "What the hell??" moments, but this wasn't one of those... This was more of a "Wait, did I miss a chapter somewhere??" kind of thing >_<  ERS REALLY dropped the ball on this one!
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Sorry it has been so long since my last sign in. I signed in to see if I still remembered my password.  I guess I did.  I recently received a steam gift card in which I bought True Fear 2 and Barrow Hill: The Dark Path.  It still has $16.00 on it.  Can anyone recommend a good point & click adventure?  Has anyone played Syberia 3 and how was it?  I so enjoyed the first two, but feel the 3rd one will not be the same.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi, sunshine! Sunny  Good to see you!

The reviews on Steam for Syberia 3 are mostly negative (ouch!)  I've yet to play the first two, so I haven't played this one yet.

I really loved Anna's Quest, but that may feel too casual if you're looking for a Syberia-type P&C.  Have you played the Longest Journey games?
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks genki for the warm welcome.  I love the sun, so cute.  I already played The Longest Journey, but thanks for the recommendation on Anna's quest. I'll take a look at it.  That stinks about the 3rd Syberia game, but I had a feeling it wouldn't be as good as the first two.   
      I don't usually buy from Steam, actually only did this time because I got a gift card.   Most titles I don't know or recognize.  Also, having a hard time navigating there.

Right now I am playing one of my old point & click games Dark Fall: Light's Out and for something lighter for when I am stuck, I am also playing Penny Dreadful's Sweeney Todd.  Both games are pretty old and I have had them awhile, but they are new to me.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:25 pm

sunshinej wrote: Penny Dreadful's Sweeney Todd.  Both games are pretty old and I have had them awhile, but they are new to me.

Wow, that's a blast from the past!  It's been years since I saw anyone mention that one!

Tormentum is a casual adventure, and worth playing if you like dark & eerie + really interesting visuals.

There are plenty of casual titles at Steam, and they're usually better-priced than at Big Fish (AND they only carry the CE's, usually.)
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 pm

sunshinej wrote: Has anyone played Syberia 3 and how was it? 

OregonPandora just mentioned Syberia 3 over at Phoenix Rising:
    I liked #3, Joy. It was different from the first two, but good. But it did leave you hanging at the end.

Seems that there's a new Syberia in the works, too!

Syberia: The World Before Announced
    Gematsu·14 hours ago
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:42 pm

I am liking the Sweeney Todd game.  The singing was a surprise though (pretty good singing too) and it took a bit to get used to the old style HO scenes again.  I guess I got spoiled with the newer, easier ones. 

Thanks Genki,  For the info on Syberia.  I didn't realize that they were planning on making a 4th game.  I just might get the third if I don't expect it to be like the first two.  Also, since I am enjoying Dark Fall: Light's Out I may get the 3rd game of that series too.  Decisions, decisions.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:36 pm

There's no need to hurry, sunshine Sunny Steam has sales regularly, and the best one of the year is in the Winter, close to Christmas.
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:20 pm

That's good to know.  I'll keep a eye out for the sales. 

I finished Dark Fall: Light's Out.  It was a decent game much different from Dark Fall: The Journal.  The Journal dealt more with a ghost story at a abandoned train station and Light's Out dealt with a disappearance at a lighthouse.  More sci-fi than ghostly.  Very strange twist and turns it took.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

I haven't played the Dark Fall games yet, but plan to at some point. Laugh  Story of my life!  So did you like The Journal better?
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 pm

They were both good in their own ways.  The Journal was more self contained.  Just the train station and the hotel connected to it.  Light's Out was more expansive.  I felt more lost in Light's Out because of that.

I am working on Still Life right now.  It is pretty good, but It well deserves it mature rating.

I tried the demo on MCF: Moths to a Flame.  Lots of puzzles for puzzle fans.  I was working on the door puzzle when my time ran out.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 pm

sunshinej wrote:Thanks Genki,  For the info on Syberia. 

I hope that you haven't bought Syberia 3 yet... It's bundled right now for $5!! OH!

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/enchanted-bundle
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks genki for the info.  I was given Syberia 3 game as a gift for the Xbox1.  I Have played it to see if works and didn't go much further.  I finally found a game to spend the rest of my credit on.  It is called What Remains of Edith Finch.  It is different what I usually play and can't wait to dig in.  First I need to finish playing Nancy Drew: Ghost of Thornton Hall.
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:53 pm

I finished What Remains of Edith Finch.  What a wonderful, brilliant and sad story driven game.  It was short, just 5 hours for me, and expensive, $20 bucks.  I recommend getting it on sale, but even at full price I don't feel cheated.   I thought the game was amazing. 

Still working on Nancy Drew: Ghost of Thornton Hall.  I am stuck often in this game and some puzzles are not fun, but found no timed ones yet.  Thank goodness.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Five hours sounds about right.  Edith Finch is such an experience!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm