Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+6
JustTheFacts
luvtoread
djrum
kac
genkicoll
pippi
10 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by djrum Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Hey there, pippi! Elk grin

I'll take a shot at answering your question. I thought MCF: Key to Ravenhearst was okay good. It wasn't mind-blowing or anything like that and definitely not creepy.
    The second MCF (I think it's called Ravenhearst Unlocked or something) is not out yet. I would assume it'll be out around Thanksgiving, possibly-maybe?

And here is how I rate the MCF games----

1. MCF: Return to Ravenhearst - the best damn game ever made, period! This was truly a mind-blowing game for me. I realize it is an older game and some people probably wouldn't enjoy it as well as today's games. No bells, no whistles, no collectibles. Just awesome gameplay.

2. MCF: Dire Grove - in storyline, it resembled a teenage slasher flick without the gore.

3. MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst - really, one of the most bizarre games I've ever played and I loved it! I honestly think it's one of those "love it" or "hate it" games.

With the exception of MCF: Madame Fate (a HO game with morphing objects, I think it was the first game to introduce the morphing object and it is my most frequently replayed game), all the other MCF games rank below these top 3 and in no particular order.

And remember, folks (before throwing things at me), this is only my opinion. Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:03 pm

No knife-throwing from me, DJ! Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 2 Knife

I haven't played the new MCF one. I didn't realize until Luvto (I think) told me there would be another one at Thanksgiving, so I held off. I'm going to play it next though since I finished the stupid ERS-wannabe Flowers of Death. 

My ranking of MCF games is probably as follows:

1. Dire Grove. This is the perfect game IMO. There is nothing wrong with it and nothing can ever come close. Keep in mind it was the first MCF game I ever played, so that may have added to that. Still, I have never been more completely immersed in a game and challenged and interested to the point where I couldn't wait to get back to it. It is my one true game love.  Wub

2. Return to Ravenhearst. I really truly enjoyed it; I just love DG more.

3. EfR tied with Fate's Carnival. I loved the gross out factor of EfR. It didn't "play safe" and I like that in a game. I also enjoy morphing objects more than your normal human.  FC was just SO MUCH better than MF that it shot up on the list of faves. 

MCF game(s) I sorta hated: 

13th Skull- Do your own damn chores! Hated this game. 

Shadow Lake -  Boring. Stupid. Yawn. Cheeseball acting. Ptooey!

Madame Fate- too many HOs drive Esme crazy. 

I don't really count Huntsville, Prime Suspects, or even the first Ravenhearst. They are just different games- not really what we think of anymore as MCF games.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Ok.   They did an update on the newest HL.   I just had it done throught the GM.

I agree with esme about   Dire Grove.   I loved it,   it also scared me silly.  That is why
    I loved it.
    The   first Ravenhurst was,  for me,  difficult,  awesome,  scary.    What a difference
    time makes!   When  I played it later,  2 or so years later,  it was not difficult at all.

RTR  was also awesome,  EFR was totally gruesome and made me jump at places,
    a definite plus,   Fates Carnival was a challenging game.

13th Skull.   I did enjoy it.   I had major suspicions of a certain Blondie and the
    fridge was disgusting.    But the characters were so funny and interesting.
    Puzzles were challenging.   I wanted to smack the person who came up with
    the flowers challenge with my mouse!

Shadow Lake.   I personally liked it;  it was different;  I thought the ham acting was
    totally intentional which made it more entertaining  (for me)

I have never played the other three-no interest in them.   I tried the demo's and
    was totally bored.
    The new MCF  is interesting-story wise.   I like it,   but its not anywhere near as interesting
    as the previous ones.    The guy with the TV for a head reminded me of Leonardo DiCaprio.

Oh-pippi--I have ONLY liked the last 2 Haunted Legends.   Sorry,  I take that back.
    I did like the first one,  Queen of Spades,    barely made it through the Bronze Horseman
    just could not make it through the demo of Undertaker.
    So I was surprised that I liked and bought the Dark Wishes.  Story line caught my
    attention.
    This new one I am enjoying-up until the stupid glitch with the Dream catcher. 
    Hopefully this new update fixed that.
    Once again the story line is interesting.    And so far,  no sign of the obnoxious
    Gremlin.   Though I came across a clue that that might change.

I bought the new Dupin Should Not Be In This Game Cause Poe Didn't Write Him
    In This  Story game with today's sale.   Snicker
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:41 pm

I see we're all pretty much in agreement with the MCF games!

I've actually liked all of them and it's nice reading your thoughts on the games. Big smile

Has anyone done the beta of Ravenhearst Unlocked yet? If so, is the creep factor back? Hope so.

I'm still playing Lost Lands 3. I've made it to the bonus and this sure was a long game. Sadly, I didn't catch this one in a sale, but it was worth every penny of the $13.99.
    I was going to get it during a BOGO sale -  couldn't find anything to go with it. Yeah right
    Upon waiting on a Wednesday sale - surprise, there wasn't a CE sale that Wednesday. Huh?
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Luvto, after you finish the Haunted Legends game you MUST read my spoiler and tell me if I'm right.  (Or tell me it's an awesome game and I should play it myself.)  So far I've resisted, because well, even the demos are boring for most of that series.

Hmmm.  My MCF list.  Definitely RtR is at the top.  EfR is up there, too, and I liked ol'Madame Fate.  Because no matter how many times I've played it (um, a lot) some of the puzzles still stump me.  And I liked Huntsville and Prime Suspects, but perhaps because I played them when they were new?  I confess - I own but have never played Dire Grove.  Perhaps I should rectify that soon.

I bought a game.  That Dracula time /resource management CE.  It's pretty fun.

If anybody gets a beta of Ravenhearst Unlocked please please please please please tell me so I can play it too.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:08 pm

luvtoread wrote:Sorry--Unlocking Ravenhurst   is what is coming out.   Embarrassed

Oh my gosh, that actually looks scary! faint dead away  FANTASTIC!!  When's it supposed to be out??
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:54 pm

I  think it's supposed to be out at Thanksgiving time, but I'm not 100% sure.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Is Eipix still doing the MCF's? OH!

Looks kind of creepy to me, 'bout time and I can't wait! Shock

I'm thinking Thanksgiving, too, because that's when they usually come out. Maybe the day before, oh wow, it should be out next week!
    My friend told me Thanksgiving is next week, here's me ---> faints

This month has flown by.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:55 am

Over at the Pond there is  a thread for Beta's.   I found this one for MCF: Ravenhurst
    Unlocked    (got the name right this time!)
    [url=Nov 11th, 2015 Mystery Case Files 13: Ravenhearst Unlocked BETA (303,58 MB) - www.bigfishgames.com/games/11328/mcf-ravenhearst-unlocked-survey/?pc]Mystery Case Files 13: Ravenhearst Unlocked BETA (303,58 MB) - www.bigfishgames.com/games/11328/mcf-ravenhearst-unlocked-survey/?pc[/url]

It is suppose to be out next week.     I am dl/ding the new Dark Parable right now, hope
    its good.
    pippi- I still have yet to get back to   HL:   I am thinking I might have to start over
    to get past the Dreamcatcher   (I guess I have to put the Silver Amulet on first, then
    the other things.   So Stupid).   The update was to fix the error code players were
    coming up on when they put the candle dohickey in the thingamabob.    Huh?

But I was enjoying it.    If I let you know if your right,   will that spoil it?   (I did read
    your spoiler-could not help myself.)   Now you got me curious about Vox.

OK-Update.   I own the Curse of Vox.    Might have to replay.

ok,   not sure why there are 2 links,   but still seems to work,   so I will leave it as is.
    In the preview of this post,  I only see 1 link.    Dunno

Last edited by luvtoread on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:01 am

Esme wrote:

esme-  your dressing up your dogs and rants are entertaining to us.      Big smile

You should see their Christmas jammies! There are MOOSE on the back!  Elk grin Elk grin Elk grin

Are you going to post pics?   That would make our day  Big smile
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:54 am

I joined the Pond, but I never go over there.  Nobody would know me anyway, (except maybe Shorenuf if she's there) so they're not missing my presence.  HA!

LuvTo, I'm getting ready to play that beta.  I hope I like it better than I liked the demo of the Key one that came out last month.  Didn't like that one much at all.

And no, telling me if I'm right about Mr Dwarf won't spoil the HL game if you tell me I should play it.  Vox wasn't terrible - in fact, for an ERS game, it could even be considered good (wow. I sound like a total snotty pants, er, Lady With Discriminating Taste Whistle Snicker ) - Anyway, it was miles better than Undertaker.  I just didn't like it as much as Justie's glowing review indicated I might.  (That's not Justie's fault.  I've since learned that I like my games to be quite a bit more difficult than she does.  Her reviews are still great and super helpful.)

OOH off to try the beta!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks for the investigative work, luvtoread. Big smile  I was in the Pond, but I can't remember username or password, so I'm never there.

I started HH: The X. What a creepy atmosphere, all those things that go bump in the night! (That is one of the main reasons I bought the game)

I did demo DP: Goldilocks and it'll be a buy when a sale comes along. Gotta watch the Punchcard since I'll probably be getting MCF: Ravenhearst Unlocked. That only leaves room for 1 more game this month.
    Surface: Return to Another World CE is due out Saturday.
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:15 am

OK so I played the beta for Unlocked.  Am I expecting too much or is my complete disappointment with that and with "Key" reasonable.

I had hopes - the first few minutes in the asylum were kinda creepy.  Then it became just another EIPIX game and I was so bored I fell asleep.  I finally finished the beta.  At the end, I really felt "Meh. That's nice, Alistair.  Run along and do bad things.  Ta ta."

And I actually kinda like EIPIX games.  Kinda, in the well they're all the same, so let's see what new setting they dumped a plot into this time way.

There's a Soap box in the spoiler, but somebody please tell me.  I gotta know!

Has anybody heard of Lore at EIPIX?:
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 pm

pippi wrote:

And no, telling me if I'm right about Mr Dwarf won't spoil the HL game if you tell me I should play it.  Vox wasn't terrible - in fact, for an ERS game, it could even be considered good (wow. I sound like a total snotty pants, er, Lady With Discriminating Taste Whistle Snicker
    Nah, just the voice of experience.  Belly laugh  Nothing snotty pants about that! Elk grin
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:25 am

I liked The Undertaker and The Vox games. I've only played the SE's of both games.

Well, shoot, I was hoping the latest MCF would be riveting. I didn't play the beta, I'll wait until next week.

I love Eipix's games, though I was disappointed with MotW: Whispering Marshes (correct title?) and probably a few others I can't remember. Perfectly normal for me.
    IMO, I don't think any developer out there could do a MCF as well as Big Fish Studios. They were definitely not afraid to try out new techniques.
    Their innovativeness was hugely admired by me!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:31 pm

I am so relieved.   I was getting ready to restart HL.  I went into the forum and
    Penguin mentioned about putting the Silver Amulet in the middle of the screen,
    I tried it and it worked.  
    So I can continue on with the game.   Whew~!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:50 pm

pippi--You have got to play the game.   Your question about the Gremlin will be answered.

I actually was surprised.    OH!

You probably won't be because you have managed to keep up with the story line in these
    games.  Me,  not so much.
    But,  you have pretty much figured it out.

I do recommend the CE,   on sale.  

I have to play Bonus now.

Sat.   Nov.12       I still recommend you hold off on a better sale than today.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:06 am

I know we have discussed the nonsense that goes on with these games,   especially with
    letters.
    I just came across a note warning me about the danger beyond the door.
    Here is the thing:    She said she cannot get out,  the door locked her in,
    but the note is outside the locked door.  Rolling Eyes
    It would just make more sense if the note said:  I know where this leads;  in case
    I get locked in,   be warned.   Oops!

pippi or dj-  did either one of you play HL: The Stone Guest?  I had not heard of
    it till I spotted it in the Extra section in this game.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:14 am

lol, luvtoread! Silly games, I don't why I keep playing them. Laugh

I remember HL: The Stone Guest, but I don't have it. I'm not sure if I've even demo'd it.

For sure, not much of a sale today. $9.99 beats $13.99 though, I wish I knew what kind of sales we'll get for the rest of the month.
    I know I'll get MCF: Ravenhearst Unlocked. It'll be out the 24th. I'd also like to get the new DP.

Might get a Developer Sale Tuesday, but which Developer? Should be a sale Wednesday, but sometimes, that sale doesn't include CE's.

I'm thinking out loud here and it looks like I'll be waiting until next weekend.

Have we ever had a Thanksgiving Sale???? I can't remember.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:15 am

Your thinking for us out loud.   Saves me from talking to myself--temporarily  Laugh

Here is another silly incident.    I just got an Amulet that brings dead people back.
    I got it off of a very Dead Guy.   Did not help him.
    Gotta love these games.   Such a source of entertainment.

I must say this game is enjoyable and not short.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 am

Oh, I talk to myself, too! Laugh

In school we used to get the lunch menu for the entire month. BFG should do the same with their
    sales. Two thumbs up
    See what a great idea I came up with, BFG. flutter eyelashes

Are you still playing HL, luvtoread? I may start it next.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:29 am

I think there usually is a Thanksgiving Day sale, because it usually ties in with the MCF release.

I think.

I started the MCF that's out now, but haven't gotten that far. Darn busy life! I have papers to grade and food to cook, but I haven't even gotten to that stuff! UGH!  Gah!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:49 am

I just finished HL today.   I am going to start on Hotel X.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm still working on Keys to Ravenhearst. It's undeniably cheesy, but good fun. I'm finding it enjoyable even though I don't have the Ravenhearst story committed to memory. 

Had to take a break for a 62 lb. boxer to have some cuddle time, but I think I can get back to it now since he's rolling on the floor with his sister.  Snicker
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:15 pm

I hope it's a good Thanksgiving Day sale!

I finished Hotel X this morning. Good game with a few startle FX that made me jump.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:11 am