Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+6
JustTheFacts
luvtoread
djrum
kac
genkicoll
pippi
10 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by genkicoll Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Laugh  Sometimes game logic just slays me.  I really appreciate it when the game tells you WHY something is not going to work.  Little things like "I can't smash the glass without damaging x-item," or "the ground is too hard to dig with my hands" goes a long way with me!

Yesterday when I was playing, I got a message that said that the ice was too thick, I'd have to melt it.  It didn't entirely make sense until I saw that it was a mirror that I was trying to get out of the ice, but still, they at least put in the effort to say why my hammer wasn't going to work!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 pm

I think they started doing it after many complaints-years ago- of "why couldn't I have
    used  so and so tool instead of having to get a different one".

Let us know there is a method to their madness.   Cause we were driving Devs mad!!  Snicker
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Yay, Luv!  Good to see you! Sunny

I'm a logical person by nature, and having a game with a ton of illogical steps in it (I'm looking at YOU, Nightmare on the Pacific!) will irritate me enough that I stop enjoying what is otherwise a good game!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:09 am

Yes, I appreciate it when it tells me why I can't use a certain item to do what I logically should be able to do. I don't always agree, but I appreciate the effort. 

I still can't make myself finish Soggy Mystery Trackers. I used to love the quirkiness of this series, but this one is testing me! (I also was only home this week on two evenings. I hate that, since I'm a homebody in the winter months, but we do what we must.) 

I want to try the new MCF game. At least it's veered away from the Ravenhearst story line. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic Ravenhearst games, but the last few just felt "meh" to me.  Sigh

Today, in between laundry, vacuuming, dusting, mopping and such, I'm hoping to have a little time to relax. I treated myself to a Clicklist shopping session, so at least I don't have to go into the grocery store, they'll deliver it to my car. Best five dollars I've spent in a long time! LOL 

I hope you all are planning a fun and relaxing weekend.  Hug
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:29 am

Yay!! I got a notification! I rarely seem to get them now, and Orphaned has got so used to mailing me a copy of the latest of Dragon Cave goss, I get those posts while I am not here, which makes me lazy.  Embarrassed

So glad to see more people dropping in and commenting on the games they are playing. I still spend most of my time at Dragon Cave and Midnight Castle, but I still buy BFG's games.

Which is the 'soggy' Mystery Trackers, @esme? The Raincliffe ones? I never did get through the second one. It was making me feel too cold!  Laugh

I bought the new Countess one from MCF sight unseen. So I hope it is good! I buy 90% of my games that way these days, riding on my enthusiasm for the nth game ago in the series.   OH!

Keeping the percentages going, I then play 2% of the games I buy!!

And I have nothing else to do all day but playing games.  Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 am

JustTheFacts wrote:

Which is the 'soggy' Mystery Trackers, @esme? The Raincliffe ones? I never did get through the second one. It was making me feel too cold!  Laugh

I'm talking about Darkwater Bay, which is not worth the purchase price IMO. 

I also just realized that I already bought the new MCF one and don't even remember doing it! LOL  Belly laugh

ETA: I got an error message and it reset to the beginning, so I deleted it. Not going through that again!  Okay
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Sooooooo.... just finished a Beta of "Grim Tales 16: Outcasts."

It was every bit as dumb, confusing, boring, annoying and pointless as the rest of the series. The stupid Grey/Gray family needs to stop breeding. UGHUGHUGHUGH!

On the bottom of the survey I asked if they would "Please let this boring, dumb series die."

I'm assuming I won't get any betas for a while. 

I also played the beta for "Whispered Secrets: Cursed Wealth" which was also dumb, but didn't make me beg the devs to kill it off. So, yeah. Way better. Comparatively speaking. However, I think my comments went something like:

Rain and ravens? Check.
    Cloaked/hooded mystery figures? Check.
    Trench-coated, leather-gloved detective? Check.
    Dumb guy grieving a dead wife and only I can help him? Check!

Yeah. I'm definitely not getting any betas for a while! Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh

ETA: BF just made a liar out of me! I opened my email and "Endless Fables: Shadow Within" was waiting for me. LOLOLOL!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 pm

thankee Thank you for your lovely review @esme - I missed your quirky approach to games. I don't know how I have managed without the latest update of the Grey/Gray sagas. 

Not, I hasten to add, that I'll actually play the game anytime soon, but I love reading your take on it, and will therefore have to at least buy it so that, eventually, I can spend the game time looking for you pick-ups!! Belly laugh
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:26 am

Why do you punish yourself like this, Esme? Laugh
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:53 am

To keep the rest of us laughing of course!  Wink Snicker
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:45 pm

I figure I can take one (or three) for the team on occasion.  I just finished the beta for Endless Fables: Shadow Within and honestly, I liked the bad dude. The game wasn't afraid to be a little spooky and less cutesy too. The main baddie, The Sandman, looks like if a goat and No Face had a baby. He was cool. I will probably get this one, but definitely will not be getting the stupid Grey/Gray family nonsense ever again.

AND

If I can keep anyone else from inadvertently buying the Gray/Grey nonsense, I will do so. 

Ain't I a stinker? lol  devilish grin devilish grin devilish grin
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Nice, a spooky HOG that's not cutesy!  I like it!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 am

Hi everybody! Just checking in. I have only been playing sporadically, but I guess that's better than not at all?

I recently got a beta for a game called: Fatal Evidence- Cursed Island.... SO GOOD! Something I'm excited to have come out so that I can play it all the way through. A little more modern than the usual vaguely Victorian setting of many games and good graphics and game play. I'm pumped.

On the other hand, the beta for Chimeras: Wailing Waters was resoundingly MEH. Sad, because it used to be a fun series.

Anndddd the beta for Christmas Stories: Enchanted Express was kind of pitiful. I don't know if playing a beta of a Christmas game in February had anything to do with it, but yawn. And yawn some more.

I recently finished the latest Vermilion Watch werewolfy one... London Howling. I was howling too; howling with laughter. This series got me super excited when it first came out then dove into stupidity so quickly. I'm thinking the next thing we will battle is the Loch Ness Monster... and Bigfoot. Does England have Bigfoots? Bigfeet?

I hope you are all doing well and finding fun games to play!

Ohhhh.... and the latest Puppetshow? (you may recall I'm personally offended by the Puppetshow series' refusal to die a stupid death) but PORCELAIN SMILE? They're not even trying. Porcelain Throne more like!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Laugh  You are too much, Esme! Belly laugh

I'm pumped to see that there's something you're excited about!  It MUST be good!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm glad I can make you laugh, Genki.

I just played another beta, this time for a game called Stormhill Mystery: Family Shadows. It was pretty basic in some ways, and had sort of old-school graphics for the human characters. The setting and objects were more believable. However, it intrigued me because it incorporated some of the Cthulhu mythos in the story line and "mystery" of the game. I haven't seen Lovecraft's squid monster in many (if any) games, so I thought it was an interesting take on an old HOPA. It wasn't a flawless game, and it did that thing where the stuff you try to take out of the toolbar sort of flies out of your hand and acts all wonky, so I told them about that, but I will probably get the game when it comes out... probably in a BOGO deal. Smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Esme wrote:However, it intrigued me because it incorporated some of the Cthulhu mythos in the story line and "mystery" of the game. I haven't seen Lovecraft's squid monster in many (if any) games, so I thought it was an interesting take on an old HOPA.

I should probably add that I'm not a huge Lovecraft fan. I've only read limited amounts of his work and find him to be a bit too in love with his own cleverness.

Which makes me want to smack him upside the head with an octopus.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi everybody. I hope you are all doing well. I've been crazy busy and all that, but....

I need a moment here.

I just looked at BFG and there is ANOTHER Edgar Allan Poe game in the series. I. Just. CANNOT.

This, according to the reviews, is the tenth game that is tangentially related to Poe's Dupin stories.

The tenth game... and Poe wrote precisely THREE Dupin stories. Three. One, two, and three. That's it.

"Rue Morgue" "Purloined Letter" and "Marie Roget"............. That's it!

Now, I know I have been ranting and raving about this for literally years, but this is insanity. How many times can you milk the same cow before you get milk duds? I mean seriously.

I am SHOOK!

Shooketh. Yea verily.

Oy.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 am

Esme, you are the best! Belly laugh

I seriously wanted to go on an Esme-rant when I was playing the three Greed games.  The logic is SO screwed up!  I did enjoy them, but good lord!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm

LOL Rant away! It's good for what ails you, or at least it is for me. Sometimes you just need to let it all out so it doesn't fester.

The game festers... because it's rotten. Rotten to the core.

No more Poe/Dupin stories!!!! ARGH!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:18 am

Well, I got two new betas in my email today: Ghost Files 2 and Unseen Fears: Stories Untold.... so we shall see. They both are part of a series, but I can't remember if I have played others in their respective series. I probably have. I have played a lot of dumb games.

I mean, I just assume they're dumb, but that's from years of experience. I could be wrong though! LOL
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 am

Okay, my quickie reviews of the two betas:

Unseen Fears: Stories Untold- Unimaginative, unoriginal and uninteresting.

Ghost Files 2: I cannot wait for this one! You have to think a bit, and make choices and just.... way more fun and non-cutesy than a lot of things I have played recently. I will buy it the second it comes out.

If anyone wants links to the betas, let me know and I will share. Smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Oh wow!  I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Ghost Files 2 is a good one, especially when a friend gave the first one a "Meh" rating!

Do you need to have played the first one to follow the story?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

No, it has different characters as far as I can tell. I hadn't played the first one, but I bought the SE and am just getting started with it. I'm kind of liking it TBH. I think the story line and game play is just different enough that it's captured my interest. I get a little tired of what I call the "Vaguely Victorian" games where there are crumbling mansions and creepy old ladies with high lace collars. That motif is pretty prevalent in these games, and sometimes a change up from that is refreshing to me.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri May 03, 2019 10:14 pm

RE: PuppetShow 2: Souls of the Innocent

I have to say that I was super-irritated by a couple of tasks in the game.  My biggest gripe is with the bonus.  (Rant incoming!)
    Spoiler:
    How stupid do you think we are?!? rollingpin  If you're going to have us do something that ridiculous, give us a reason!  Maybe the damned thing just wouldn't go out no matter what else we tried, just... some kind of logic, that's all I ask! meh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:27 pm