Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+10
ddr_cyclone102
sunshinej
BloomingLilac
tesamoine
jboliver1999
RenaissanceMom
pippi
genkicoll
djrum
Frodo
14 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by luvtoread Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Well,  I am home--thank goodness.
    I made it from Florida to New Jersey.   My flight from NJ  to Albany,  NY  was cancelled.  Overreaction
    They had 2 choices---one that went to Boston, then to Albany,  NY--arrival 6:50 pm.
    The other to Washington,   then to Albany.   The Washington one was a Standby,  but thank
    goodness they had a spare seat.

I really do not like turbulence.      Really,   really really do not like!!  EEK!

By the time I finally got in,  I was very hungry.

So,  I am back in the   c-cold  zone,   with my laptop,   and games to be played  (what else to do
    in the cold?)

Doofish??   Two thumbs up

I have to see if that stupid hand glitch is gone,  also I a have a beta to be played.

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Glad you are home safely, Luvto! I hate the insecurity of flying when the weather is bad. Having gotten stuck at O'Hare overnight one time, I am nervous about that in a big way... though watching the mice running up and down the tarmac windows was entertaining. NOT!  Yeah right

I'm headed into day 2 of no school because of the insanely cold temperatures. So of course I'm playing games. I'm on Shiver: Lily's Whatever.  I have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed. I'm hoping for some WOW moments, but haven't gotten any yet. 

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will get better.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:01 pm

I'm glad you're home safe, too, luvtoread! Big smile

Wow, I can't believe the cold weather right now. Arctic air, Siberian air, Canadian air...geesh, it wouldn't hurt my feelings none if it would've stayed up north! And we have another "system" coming in Sat. with rain, snow, and freezing rain. WTH???? meh

Esme, I'm playing Shiver, also, and I haven't run into the Wow Factor yet. I think I'm almost done. Does some of the scenes look cartoonish to you? Or is it just me?
    Sorry, Developers, but this has to be the worst game in the Shiver series.
    I do like the way the scene changes to black & white when it thunders.
    I'm going to have to replay the first Shiver again. Now that was one helluva good game!!!

ETA: Lol, I'm trying to type with gloves on and making all kinds of mistakes!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:51 am

So it's not just me, DJ? The game is just really bland. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just a snoozer. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 18 Indifferent0023 I kind of thought they could just catch the big baddie with a giant mouse trap. That tail is humongous! And if my character talks about putting his PhD to use one more time, I'm going to feed him to Doofish myself. 

OH! And OMG what kind of creepy, mutant dog was that that we cooked a steak for? Did that thing have leaves instead of fur? WTH??? Mulch Mutt! 

Dunno
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:53 am

You need some of these, DJ!
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 18 Sku_166003_5
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:40 am

That was the dumbest game I have played in a long time. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 18 Loser I am so disappointed. It was ERS level dumb. 

I don't even want to play the bonus section.  meh
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:29 am

Esme wrote:That was the dumbest game I have played in a long time. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 18 Loser I am so disappointed. It was ERS level dumb. 

I don't even want to play the bonus section.  meh

Based on your and DJ's description, boy am I glad I didn't get this game!  This is one series that has gone steadily downhill.  The first one was really good, borderline great.  The second one was quite good.  The third one, Meh.  I had hopes the fourth one turned the series around.  Sadly, I should know better than to have hopes like that.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 am

I figured out right at the beginning who the bad girl was, just wasen't sure why.
    Yes, the black bar comments was dumb.
    But, it didn't bring out the meh in me. I do wish they would go back to games
    that really mean what the title says "Shiver" !!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:19 pm

luvtoread wrote:I figured out right at the beginning who the bad girl was,   just wasen't sure why.
    Yes,  the black bar comments was dumb.
    But,   it didn't bring out the   meh   in me.    I do wish they would go back to games
    that really mean what the title says  "Shiver" !!
    The only shivering I've been doing is because of the cold.  c-cold
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Nope, it's not just you, Esme. I didn't care much for the cartoon-like graphics and where did that mutant dog come from? A comic book?

I am using fingerless gloves and I still can't type. Laugh  I think my fingertips are frozen! Huh?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:31 pm

UGH!

I'm slogging through the bonus chapter of this stupid game and I don't know why. I think it's because I want to upgrade the flooring. I don't know.

If possible, it has gotten even more dumb, though it hasn't reached the sort of dumb grandeur of a Grim Dimwits game. The most appealing character is doofish, my pet goldfish.  My character, Dr. Dumb@$$, is going to get sued for malpractice some day. He's clueless. 

The most clueless of all, though, is me. I can't figure out why I am still playing it and hoping it will get better. I'm the eternal optimist apparently. Plus, I remember how good the first Shiver was, and I miss it. I think that's part of it. 

Anywhoo.... if you don't like dumb, pointless games, avoid this one. Even in a BOGO. Gah!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:09 am

Yeah, I finished the game, too. I'd forgotten about our "pet". Did we collect black pearls to buy him/her something? I'd forgotten about the pearls, also, and only collected them when I remembered.

I am replaying Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker and it's like two different teams worked on these games even though they're from the same developer, Artogon.

Reviews for the new Nightfall Mysteries are not very favorable...might as well demo since there isn't much else to do...with all the snow and freezing rain falling outside. Our roads are a perpetual mess! And the side roads are not even worth travelling on if a person values their vehicle.

I do wish winter was OVER!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:25 pm

You can't get too much winter in the winter. Robert Frost

He was wrong!!!

dj--have you tried the new EAP game. My Gentleman friend with the gorgeous eyes
    always has my vote. flutter eyelashes
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:45 pm

I'll counter your winter poet with one of my own, Luvto.  Snicker

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 18 4812652caf34de5776
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:52 pm

I've read that there's not actually a bonus chapter in the bonus section of EAP: Marie Roget. I'm definitely waiting for the SE for that one then. Even if it IS a valid use of C. August Dupin!  Rolling Eyes
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 am

M'kay, so I'm playing Off the Record: The Art of Deception which is decent for the most part. I like the little reminders in each new scene that show the paint tubes I'm supposed to collect. And the little visual clue when there's a morphing object for me to find? LMBO! It's a cougar... no, it's a unicorn... no, it's a cougar again! 

However, and I'm going to spoiler this even though it's not really a plot point:
    You're not going to believe me. I swear.:
    Are you freakin' kidding me??? And no one has a cell phone to call the police? Even if the regular one in the tavern is conveniently broken??? 

I can't wait to see what will happen next!
    Evil Grin
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:01 am

Regarding your spoiler:     You really needed a   Beer    to calm your nerves.  
    We are there for you      Drinking buddy

Or...as in these games,  to show how invincible you are.   Superman   Ever notice how everyone
    around you gets affected by the "evil"   fog,  smoke,  magic,  person or whatever;
    but you,  nope.
    You can   stupidly walk into any situation,  maybe get knocked out for a bit,   but thank
    goodness you can just get up and continue your   HO  hunting,  because the evil thing just
    leaves you there,    cause  his/her/whatever's  ego is so massive it does not believe little
    ol' you will conquer  it with that screwdriver in your hand   (apparently they never watched
    Dr. Who).

That's why we play these games.     In real life.....we'd be doomed!!   Oops!

OH-----In a somewhat defense of the game----I don't think the Public Telephones have worked
    in ages!!!!  Laugh

If I sound like I am rambling......well, its cause that's what these games do to me!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:37 am

Well, I haven't demo'd EAP: Marie Roget yet, luvtoread. I know Dreamy Detective is in it and all, but truthfully I was thinking the SE would suffice.

I need to finish the demo of Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past and see if I want to get it. Right now, it's looking like a big NO.

I will have to check and see if I've got the new Off the Record. If not, that'll be the one I get. I need 4 more punches for my PC and surely, um..hopefully, I'll be able to acquire another punch before the end of the month.

Oh crap! I better find and get a game tomorrow then. Rolling Eyes  And I hate to be rushed. pfft
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:15 am

Yes...but the CE's are on sale!! So, if you wait till tomorrow, unless you can do it before
    5 a.m. (did they ever fix that?) you will have to pay full price for OTR.

The sale is the only reason I am thinking about EAP and Det. Dreamy Eyes.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:27 am

luvtoread wrote:
    Or...as in these games,  to show how invincible you are.   Superman   Ever notice how everyone
    around you gets affected by the "evil"   fog,  smoke,  magic,  person or whatever;
    but you,  nope.

Evil fog and magic is one thing; gravity and rocks is quite another! 

Seriously though, I'm sort of enjoying the game, but that part just was a bit more than even my "suspension of disbelief" could handle.  Yeah right

I'm probably not going to partake in the sale, only because there's nothing new that I need. Though I haven't played the new Dark Dimensions. Any feedback on that one, ladies?
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:58 am

Oh boy......you think your rock falling was nuts,   check out what some Bostonians are
    doing

http://www.weather.com/safety/winter/news/boston-stop-leaping-into-snowbanks-mayor  

I am drawing a blank  on the new DD.

OK. Now I remember the new DD. Not bad, but I am waiting on SE for it.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:47 am

I got the new Off the Record, luvtoread. I only need 1 more punch now. Hopefully, I'll find a game tomorrow to complete my PC and I'll use a PCC to get it. Big smile

I may get the game that came out today, whatever it's called.

I have the new DD, but I don't even remember the demo.  Laugh I do remember being impressed with the graphic quality of this game.

I'm still playing Shiver 1 and enjoying every single minute of it!

I may go back to the Stray Souls series and replay them. I also want to replay the True Fear game.
    I feel I need a bona fide D&E game!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Ew, yuck (after watching the video), I would freeze my ass off! c-cold

Ahhh...to be young & dumb, I reckon! Okay
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 pm

I couldn't remember today's game either, so I looked it up. Its Mystery Tales: The Twilight
    World.

You stop at a Hotel, Witch takes possession of your daughter, you have to go rescue her,
    Yawn been there, done that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:33 pm