Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+10
ddr_cyclone102
sunshinej
BloomingLilac
tesamoine
jboliver1999
RenaissanceMom
pippi
genkicoll
djrum
Frodo
14 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

pippi
    pippi

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by pippi Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 am

DJ - I find albums to be grossly overpriced on Amazon.  You can get them much cheaper in local stores.  (I find this to be true for new and old albums.)  We have a pretty good vinyl collection, and I love scouring the thrift stores for old favorites.  I scored an Elton John album for a quarter last time I was in Columbus.  Somewhere near the Uni, there was a great little record store, too.  Also, Cleveland has many great record stores.  (I know Ohio is a big state, and I don't live there ... but I'm sure there are options wherever you are, too.)  Big smile

On the subject of Games.  I want to take advantage of BF's big sale this weekend and use up the last of my credits.  Any thoughts on these games:
    CE - Shiver:  The Lily's Requium
    CE - MCF: the new Dire Grove
    CE - Dark Dimensions: Homecoming
    and to round out the bogo, I thought I'd finally get the Fear game.
    what do y'all think about the new Midnight Mysteries?

Am I missing any great CEs?  (Pretend I've been on another planet for several months and know nothing. Smile

I'm going to say this (not that it hasn't been said before) ... but the BFG forums absolutely stink now.  And the reviews are so ridiculous they're not worth reading anymore.  (Unless I stumble across one of yours, obviously.)  So I'm coming here to Nice People Who Know.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:46 pm

So I've played all of ten minutes of the demo for Grand Illusionist (anyone else singing Styx songs right about now? No? Just me? Allrighty then!) and I really like it!

Probably going to have to buy it, dagnabit!  Snicker
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Ok...Sing a Styx song for us   singz

I have seen vinyl records on sale at garage sales.    Blasts from the pasts!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi pippi! Big smile I do have a pretty good collection of albums that I found at various different places for cheap. I do the same thing as you and hunt our local Goodwill, flea markets, second-hand stores, etc. We do now have a used record shop downtown.

I have the games you mentioned, but I've only played one of them, the new Midnight Mysteries. I thought it was good, just not as good as the previous Midnight Mysteries games. Salem Witch Trials is still my favorite.

The new Haunted Hotel: Death Sentence (or something like that) was very good, IMO.

Esme, I got Illusionist, also! I paired it up with Dark Dimensions: Homecoming, even though the demo for DD was less-than-thrilling. I loved the graphics and...okay, so I liked the dog-helper.
    I think I read you have to buy things for him/her, too. Rolling Eyes

I really wish developers would just quit doing that.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:47 pm

luvtoread, I'm sitting here with 2 pants, 4 shirts, and 2 pairs of socks on. The wind is howling like crazy and temps are dropping by the minute. It's been snowing off and on all day.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:11 pm

djrum wrote:luvtoread, I'm sitting here with 2 pants, 4 shirts, and 2 pairs of socks on. The wind is howling like crazy and temps are dropping by the minute. It's been snowing off and on all day.

I'm wrapped up in a heavy quilt! It's 4 degrees here now, and it's supposed to be -8 by 6 A.M.  c-cold

My hubs ran the snow blower today too. It's nice weather here... if you're a polar bear!

I was going to play games all day, but one of our dogs is sick, so it's been a busy few days. I did make some cookies for my hubby for Valentine's Day, but that was as ambitious as I got. 

I hope you all are staying warm and snuggly if you're in the cold front like I am... and luvto... wear sunscreen! LOL Sunny
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:15 pm

luvtoread wrote:Ok...Sing a Styx song for us   singz

I have seen vinyl records on sale at garage sales.    Blasts from the pasts!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:40 pm

lol, Esme! Laugh   Stay warm!

I don't think our temp is dropping that low, but we will get down to single digits tonight. The wind chill is horrible. c-cold

I hope your furbaby feels better soon. Half Flower

I baked my hubs his favorite--Chocolate Cream Pie. I think I'll go have a piece, make sure it's okay.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:02 am

dj---I am assuming your  Pie is no longer safe.    Laugh

esme-   Well,  I was hoping you would sing for us,  I guess the video will have to suffice.  bath-sing
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:16 am

Heh. This Illusionist game is certainly making the most of its "magic" angle. How I've gone from the theater to riding a camel is beyond me, but off I go! 
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 17 Giphy
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 am

It's -16F here.  I'm not going outside.  I may not get out of my warm, snuggly, cosy bed, either.

Looks like a gaming day to me!   Snowfall
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:42 am

I agree. I'm not going anywhere. I might even order Jet's (local pizza chain) for dinner! Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 17 Pizza-box-smiley-emoticon
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Esme wrote:Heh. This Illusionist game is certainly making the most of its "magic" angle. How I've gone from the theater to riding a camel is beyond me, but off I go! 

esme,   esme, esme, esme esme esme esme.....do you what today is?
    Its  Play My Game  Day!!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:26 pm

luvtoread wrote:
    Esme wrote:Heh. This Illusionist game is certainly making the most of its "magic" angle. How I've gone from the theater to riding a camel is beyond me, but off I go! 

esme,   esme, esme, esme esme esme esme.....do you what today is?
    Its  Play My Game  Day!!
    I knew someone would do it! Thanks for not disappointing me, luvto!  Belly laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:53 pm

lol, Esme! Soooo, we get to ride a camel??? Laugh

I stayed in also. It's way too cold outside. I finished Vampire Legends 2 and had absolutely NO tech issues after the restart, Yay!!!!
    Not a bad game...and I didn't see that ending coming in the bonus play.

We've got 4-8 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. EEK! (Yes, I know, but we're not used to it!)
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:34 pm

It's got one of those "you really need to play the bonus section" endings. I hate when they do that. It's a very abrupt ending that really makes no sense whatsoever.  Yeah right
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 am

Ooookay.

So. 

There are just a few loose ends (ha! a few???) in this Illusionist game that I wonder about.

I have questions. So many questions. :

Dunno Dunno Dunno Dunno Dunno Dunno Dunno Dunno
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 am

I re-read many of the latest posts, and learned that I didn't really want to spend my hard earned credits on games ... after your brilliant commentary, I'm saving them for games that

a. don't have non-branching family trees
    b. don't contain tickle fests with dangerous animals
    c. don't defy all rules of "game logic"
    d. don't have me riding camels if they're not set in the desert, and

e. aren't just plain dumb.

I did get the latest dark dimensions, cause hey, it makes perfect sense to get the fifth game in a series when I haven't played the first one yet ... and the new dire grove, because well, I have all the other MCFs and why not.

I skipped the latest shiver and phantasmat because the reviews were so Meh. And <gasp> still didn't pick up DP Mermaid edition because, well, how can you have a dark parables games without cursed objects ... and while Eipix is better than some of the other E-studios, leave my DP alone, pleaseandthankyou.

I also learned that I am absolutely No Good At All at finding cool emoticons and gifs. I bow to the masters.

Has anybody here played Apothecarium? I remember playing it before with no tech issues. Now, it's giving me fits and starts and just generally cranky-fying my day. Gah!

Lastly, I'll say that even though Justie like her games with a good helping of easy compared to me (who likes games ridiculously and possibly abnormally challenging), I trust her reviews and ... Cry Justie, I miss your reviews at BFG. I darted into the forums the other day on an innocent quest for knowledge (MKftP4 level 5.10 anybody? anybody?!) ... and found almost all the threads locked for no apparent reason. As I wandered around trying to make my BOGO buying decisions, I found reviews that made no sense whatsoever ... until I read another review. I'll say that folks have gotten really good at being mean to each other "under the radar" or something. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 17 Suspect

Oh, I love it here. I'm so glad I was invited to this little slice of internet heaven. Sunny

I have pictures of the furballs ... once I figure out how to post them I'll add them to the furbabies section. Baby Kitten is reminding Elder Kitten (who technically is a cat, now. technically) all the fun and wonderful Trouble Things they can do.

EDITED by Genkicoll to make the font readable -- hope you don't mind, Pippi!

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : adding smilies.)
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 pm

pippi, have you played Timeless: The Lost Castle yet? I think it's from Boolat (the developers).

It never was a CE, it's difficult and took me days to finish. But it's a very, very good game!

I'm playing Surface: Game of Gods and I've noticed something...Elephant Games is making their games super-easy lately.
    I remember when I first played Mystery Trackers: Raincliff and was stumped often enough.
    What happened, EG??

Dark Tales: EAP The Mystery of Marie Roget (CE)
    Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past (CE)

Both due out this week. Wow, haven't seen a Nightfall Mysteries game in awhile!

And....we've got about 6-7 inches of snow out there, an additional 1-3 in. tomorrow and the temp will be plummeting to -5 to -10 degrees tomorrow night.
    Lots of school closings today and probably for the rest of the week.

Oh yes, pippi, I almost forgot, I do have that Apothecary game on hold for now. Those morphing objects in the hidden object scenes are a PITA to find!
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 pm

No, I don't mind Genki.  I went in to edit the post and I must have pushed something because then all the letters were little and blue. Thanks.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:29 pm

LOL pippi! She has to fix my posts sometimes too.  Big smile

So I have a snow day tomorrow since the wind chill is supposed to be between -25 and -30 tomorrow morning. c-cold

As a result I started to play the new Shiver. Lilly's something. 

It's an odd little game so far. I think I like it, but I can't tell yet. Have any of you given it a try?
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi everyone.    Here is what is going on with me:

I was in Miami,  Florida (for you non-USA gamers) yesterday,   80 Degrees.
    Today,  not so warm,  but not as bad as up North.

I am suppose to leave tomorrow,   have a layover in Newark,  NJ  and then take a puddle-jumper
    to Albany,  NY.
    My poor sister is having conniptions because of the weather.   If it freezes up,  I could land up
    stranded in NJ.    Already I am coming up with Plan B if my connection is cancelled,
    hopefully all will go well.
    I cannot believe I am heading back into the frigid weather.     c-cold

esme--I played Shiver--Lilies of something,    I really enjoyed it,   I guess cause the story
    is different.   That is the one where I got the weird hand glitch in the Bonus.   Hopefully it will
    be gone when I get home.

Because I am down here,   my games were left unplayed.   I am going to be upset if
    after all that nonsense glitch with Vampire Legends I am left hanging  with no proper ending.
    I have the SE.

I will post when I am back home.   Please everyone keep your fingers crossed!     Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 17 Th?id=HN.608015374977204388&pid=15
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:45 pm

I played the Shiver CE demo, esme, and liked it.  It cannot compare to the first or second one in the series, but I think it will be every bit as good as the third one.  Next sale I plan to pick it up.

Good luck getting home Luv!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Safe travels, Luvto! 

Okay, I'm enjoying the game but, it's not giving me the "oh wows" though it is pretty good. You get a pet fish. It suggest you call him Felix. I went with Doofish. (like doofis only with a fish) It makes my inner 8 year old laugh.  Snicker

I can't even explain why looking for the "pearls" makes me laugh. It just does. 

I think the problem is that I don't play these games with the proper level of sincerity. I take too much joy in being difficult or something. Oopsie!  Oops!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Oh my goodness, luvtoread, I hope you don't get stranded. The weather is terribly cold.

Esme, I've got Shiver: The Lily's Requiem all ready to play. I'm going to make me a mug of hot chocolate w/marshmallows because I'm so cold and need to warm up a little.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:46 am