Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

The Iron Druid Chronicles

genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Iron Druid Chronicles Empty The Iron Druid Chronicles

Post by genkicoll Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 pm

The Iron Druid Chronicles
    by Kevin Hearne

Check out the Official Site!

The Iron Druid Chronicles Hounded-cover-184x300The Iron Druid Chronicles Hexed-cover-184x300The Iron Druid Chronicles Hammered-cover-184x300
    The Iron Druid Chronicles TRICKED-cover-178x300The Iron Druid Chronicles TrappedwebThe Iron Druid Chronicles Hunted-final-cover-182x300
    There are also novellas that expand on the world of the Iron Druid.  They are (chronologically, Iron Druid time):

• Grimoire of the Lamb (Takes place 4 years before the events of the first book, Hounded)
    • Clan Rathskeller (Takes place 10 months before the events of the first book, Hounded)
    • Kaibab Unbound (Takes place two weeks before the events of the first book, Hounded)
    • A Test of Mettle (Takes place  concurrently with the events of the third book, Hammered - I recommend finishing Hammered before reading this one)
    • Two Ravens and One Crow - link is to the Kindle edition (Takes place between the fifth and sixth books, Trapped and Hunted)  INCLUDED AT THE END OF BOOK SIX, HUNTED

See next post for series description  The Iron Druid Chronicles 364988687

Last edited by genkicoll on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 pm; edited 6 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Iron Druid Chronicles Empty Re: The Iron Druid Chronicles

Post by genkicoll Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 pm

You may have noticed that I did not include the information listed on the back of the books.  This is because the description from the back of Hounded (book #1) had a spoiler on it, and I don't want to ruin anything for either you or myself by looking at the other book descriptions.

Instead, I will be giving you my thoughts and impressions, as well as the kind of things you can expect to be reading in this delightful series.  Before I do that, however, a quote from the front of the books:

"A page-turning and often laugh-out-loud-funny caper through a mix of the modern and the mythic." - Air Marmell, author of The Warlords Legacy

From that, you probably gathered (correctly!) that these books are urban fantasy - not my usual literary fare, as I tend to lean more towards pure fantasy.

Mr. Marmell is not kidding when he says, "laugh-out-loud-funny".  The series is rife with a humor that never feels forced.  Kevin Hearne sucked me in immediately, and after the first paragraph, all I could do is stare in surprise, then burst out laughing.  The first word that came to mind to describe the writing style was "delightful", and that feeling has persisted throughout the first two and a half books that I've read, and I'm sure will continue throughout the rest of the series.

The story centers around the last real, bona fide druid on Earth, who is living in today's society with 2,000+ years' worth of life and memory.  All of the assorted gods are real, from the Norse to the Roman to the Greek and any other god you can imagine... and one in particular has a grudge against our mighty druid... a grudge that no one seems to want to let our protagonist forget.

Add in vampires, witches, werewolfs, demons, a saucy elderly Catholic woman, and our druid's entertaining weakness to the mix, and you have the very beginning of Iron Druid Chronicles. The Iron Druid Chronicles 3026146359

For the gist of the writing style we're talking about, for the enjoyment of it, and to hopefully pique your interest enough that you just have to go and find out more about this series, following is the first paragraph of book #1, Hounded:

There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.  It invariably goes like this: Someone shrugs off the weight of his cultural traditions, ignores the baleful stares of authority, and does something his countrymen think to be completely batshit insane. Of those, Galileo was my personal favorite. Van Gogh comes in second, but he really was batshit insane.

Warning for those who care about such things:

There is quite a lot of swearing throughout the books.  I'm not one who enjoys or tends to use foul language, but in this case, it really goes with the flow of the story, and is not offensive (to me) at all.

Finally, if the idea of Jesus sitting at a restaurant bar, drinking good Irish whiskey with a pagan druid is offensive to you, these books are not for you The Iron Druid Chronicles 364988687

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

Book 5, Trapped, is now available! Whee~!! Happy bounce
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Book 6, Hunted, will be released tomorrow~!! Happy day!! Happy bounce

The really exciting part is that the author, Kevin Hearne, will be in town on Sunday for a book signing! OH!  YES!

Here's the info, for those in the Salem, Oregon area:

Sunday, June 30th, from 4PM to 6PM at

Escape Fiction Books

3240 Triangle Dr SE
    Salem, OR  97302

He will be there for a reading / question and answer, also he will be available to sign your books.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Kevin Hearne was completely awesome.  A completely affable guy with quick humor and a projecting voice (very nice since the room was very crowded.)  He did Q&A before the signing, then spent as much time as we wished with each of us as we did the actual book signing part.  No one complained about the time it was taking, and although it was at least 80 degrees in the room, no one was in a hurry to leave!

I've added links to some of his Iron Druid short stories, and though you may be able to find all of them easily, two are available FREE to all directly from his website:

• Clan Rathskeller (Takes place 10 months before the events of the first book, Hounded)
    • A Test of Mettle (Takes place  concurrently with the events of the third book, Hammered - I recommend finishing Hammered before reading this one)

I had to ask if we could look forward to a lot more of the Iron Druid, and his response was that there will be nine books in the main series: Nine because it's a powerfully magical number in the Celtic mythology.

Even though book #6 was JUST released, #7 is finished and turned in to his editor already! OH!  No idea of when it will be out, though.

At the moment, he is working on a book in the Star Wars franchise, which will take place between the first two (original) movies.  I don't recall him mentioning a title, but he did say that he has to turn it in by January, 2014, so some time next year :D

I had a blast yesterday, and if it hadn't been so darned hot, it would have been perfect!

Again, I have to highly recommend this series.  Definitely one of my favorites! Two thumbs up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm