Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Perfect Protein Salad

Esme
    Esme

Perfect Protein Salad Empty Perfect Protein Salad

Post by Esme Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:40 pm

In my continuing quest to come up with more alternate protein sources, I found the following recipe, and it is amazing! It's an adaptation of a Moosewood Cookbook recipe, and it's easy and delish! My hubby even snarfed it up. I will get him to eat more healthful foods if it kills me!  

Anyway, I can never follow a recipe exactly, so I will tell you that I did NOT use soy beans. Too much soy is BAD, especially for women. I subbed a drained and rinsed can of cannellini beans because that is what I had. 

The original recipe is from here: The Parsley Thief

Here is the actual recipe. My tweaks are in red as usual. 

Perfect Protein Salad

1 1/2 cups dry soybeans (I used one can of drained and rinsed Cannellini beans) 
    1 1/2 cups dry wheat berries (I used the ones that cook in 15 minutes because that is what my store had)
    scallionsfinely chopped  (I used 2 because I think scallion can be overpowering)
    2 medium carrotsfinely chopped
    2 medium cucumbersseeded & finely chopped
    1/2 red bell pepperfinely chopped
    1 cup cottage cheese ( I used small curd, but use what you like)
    1 cup minced flat leaf parsley
    1/2 cup minced fresh dill
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    freshly ground black pepperto taste
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    3-4 cloves garlicminced

Perfect Protein Salad Protei10
    Place the soybeans and wheat berries in separate saucepans and cover with water. Soak the beans for 4 hours, or overnight. Drain, place back in their pots, and cover with fresh water by a few inches. Bring both to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, partially covered until tender. The soybeans will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and the wheat berries will take about 30-45 minutes. Taste them both as they near their cooking time, and remove from the heat when they reach a texture you prefer.

Drain the beans and wheat berries and add both to a large mixing bowl. To them add the scallions, carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, cottage cheese, parsley, and dill. Toss to combine.

In a separate small bowl, whisk together the cider vinegar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, and garlic. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to combine. Check the salad for seasoning, and add some additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve right away, or store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to a week.

I followed the instructions pretty closely. Yes, it seems like a lot of dill and a lot of parsley. Trust me. Use them. OMG SO GOOD! 

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm