Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

5 posters

Excursions of Evil

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Excursions of Evil Empty Excursions of Evil

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:50 am

Excursions of Evil (aka Mystery Case - Excursions of Evil)

by Next Gamez - December, 2013

Available at:
    Alawar
    Big Fish
    GameHouse
    iWin

Excursions of Evil Excursions-of-evil_feature

Climbing volcanos, swimming with sharks, it’s all in a day's work for Audrey! She roams the world in search of adventures and makes a living out of it with her popular travel blog. After receiving an e-mail from the travel agency, "Excursions of Evil," it's clear that her scariest adventure has yet to come. Will she take up the invitation to visit the spooky surroundings on the shore of England where a murder mystery has taken place? Find out in this exhilarating Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

• Engaging storyline
    • Beautiful art work
    • Mind-bending mini-games

Click images to enlarge
    Excursions of Evil Th_screen1_Excursions of Evil Th_screen2_Excursions of Evil Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:51 am; edited 3 times in total

Excursions of Evil O9fj
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Excursions of Evil Empty Re: Excursions of Evil

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 am

Weirdly, I’m Hooked  

Sunny Sunny SunnySunny

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Definitely for a niche market, this game is ultimately an almost pure HOG (Hidden Object Game), and a very primitive one at that, yet I defy anyone to say they’ve ever come across anything like it before. It had much that annoyed me, and not enough of the things I like, but I was totally caught up in this unique game.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    Basic. Basic. Basic. The low-def graphics are a bit cartoony, oversimplified and cheap-looking. But you can see everything clearly, despite a tricky little number in the HOPs. There, the background is blurred a little, to give a false sense of depth, but it doesn’t affect the visibility of the objects. They are very clear and colourful, but sometimes craftily hidden.

The music is almost not there. You hardly notice it at all. The same is true of the background noises. But there are voiceovers, and they are excellent.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    You, an eXtreme traveller, are invited to tour a spooky English mansion by a travel agency called “Excursions Of Evil”, whose idea is to visit places where acts of eXtreme evil have taken place. In this one, the butler (who else could it be?) killed everyone and then himself. Or did he? That seems doubtful from the minute you get there.

Love love love this storyline! Something truly new and fascinating!

GAMEPLAY
    Here we also have something truly unique. This is a HOG, there are lots of HOPs and only a few puzzles, and most of the adventure component is just getting to the next HOP. But getting there! No map. No hotspots or black bar hints. Instructions on the (difficult) puzzles, only if you click hint. And then it’s the bare minimum. Puzzle boards.

The hint gives hints. Which unfortunately isn’t much help when you can’t find your way back to the bathroom! Or when you have one item that is part of a pair needed to activate a new location. The hint will tell you to use it, but it won't leave your inventory no matter what you do. Here's hoping there's a walkthrough!

Every step of the way has been a battle for little intermediate me, even on easy mode. If they can forgive all the HOPs, the “no pain, no gain” crowd should have a ball with this one.

BUT...You do have a cell phone. On it you keep the emails, voicemails and games you receive. The games crop up as part of the story, and are of the arcade sort where speed counts – drop matching(?) kind, and a “paddle” one, and a “zuma” kind of game. These are then playable at any time for ‘fun’. Again, no instructions.

As well, there are jokers to be found and collected, which you can use to keep going after failing in one of these games. At some point, it seems, high scores on these games will become important, but I haven’t figured all that out yet.

There are some really annoying things about this game (aside from its general unhelpfulness). Using an inventory item, you don’t just click on it and then on where to use it, you must drag it there. HATE that.

And the odd ways of going into and out of a location had me wandering in and out all over the place, unable to orient myself without a map to help me. And there is usually only one thing to be done in each room, boorriing.

The opening of the game forces a tutorial on you, but it is the digest version and is relatively quick and painless.

COMBINED IMPACT
    Irresistible! I must be getting sick or something, I actually spent precious demo time improving my score on one of the games! And I get a very “Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome” vibe from the bad guy.

Not a crowd pleaser, this game is nevertheless unique and clever and involving. Among the adventurous, it might well be a hit!

However, this is one game you really do need to try before you buy!

I Recommend This Game!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:46 am

lol, JustTheFacts, I demo'd this game last night & I'm hooked, too, and don't know why!  Huh? 

Mostly HO scenes, some puzzles & mini-games, but I liked what I played even though it's not very gamer-friendly. I could've really used a map & couldn't find one.
    At first, I didn't see any instructions for the puzzles, but when I clicked the Hint cat, I got limited instructions (and I need detailed ones).

I must be getting sick, also, because I'm going to use a PCC for it.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I haven't quite decided if I want to buy it or not. It's cheesy but not too bad and even entertaining in its way, but I'm really not such a fan of those mini games.  Yeah right 

Maybe a PCC, maybe.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:42 am

Deleted

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:47 am

Deleted

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:59 am

Oh NO! I don't believe it!  Overreaction  dirtywords He's done it to me too! The last paragraph on the Jokers is mine!!!

"As well, there are jokers to be found and collected, which you can use to keep going after failing in one of these games. At some point, it seems, high scores on these games will become important, but I haven’t figured all that out yet."

Okay, excuse me while I go scream at some bfg personnel myself! Glad you pointed out what was happening with you. Thanks.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:08 am

The mod has removed the offending review sporty, but I sent off a few words on my own behalf too.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:20 am

Deleted

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:21 am; edited 2 times in total
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:23 am

Deleted

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 am

oh. I just looked in the review thread - didn't think to look elsewhere! Now I'll have to write to mod again.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 am

DELETED

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 am

Yeah, that was mine, because I've only played the demo so far.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:13 am

DELETED

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:20 am

Not a case of similarities with mine. Word for word exact for one entire paragraph, and I know it's even more so for yours.

Even the first paragraph I know I've read somewhere before. Probably someone else on the main page, which is where I usually do my review reading.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:28 am

Oh. My. GOSH!  What the heck is wrong with that person?  Plagiarizing is bad enough, but to be so blatant about it? Gah!  Makes me glad I'm not posting my reviews at BF anymore!

Excursions of Evil O9fj
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 am

DELETED

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 am

That's what I asked Flounder to do. Get the sod banned straight off the bat before any more trouble
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:28 pm

DELETED

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:28 pm

DELETED

djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Wait a minute...someone at BFG posted an almost exact copy of your Reviews? The both of you?

Why in the world would anyone want to do that? I mean, this person should've just thought of their own things to say about the game.
    Back before BFG became so strict in the Reviews thread (It was the Reviews and Comments thread, at the time) someone had copied one of my "thoughts" on a game. It was kind of weird. I can't remember the game nor the person.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 am

djrum wrote:Wait a minute...someone at BFG posted an almost exact copy of your Reviews? The both of you?

Why in the world would anyone want to do that? I mean, this person should've just thought of their own things to say about the game.
    Back before BFG became so strict in the Reviews thread (It was the Reviews and Comments thread, at the time) someone had copied one of my "thoughts" on a game. It was kind of weird. I can't remember the game nor the person.
    Yes! Oh and not just once or even twice but 3 times for me. Once on the main page, in the review thread, and on another thread for this game at BFG. Everything has been removed now.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:23 am

Yup, same for me too. Just one paragraph, copy and paste, 3 places. Idiot!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Wow, that's unreal!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 am