Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Disabling Emoticons?

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Disabling Emoticons? Empty Disabling Emoticons?

Post by genkicoll Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:12 pm

PM'd question:
    Is there a way to disable showing graphical emoticons when I'm reading posts but enabling them when I'm typing mine? (So that others can see them.) I'm used to pure-text chat and moving things annoy me.
    I'm thinking that there is probably an option in the browser we use to view the page(s), but I don't know what it would be.

There IS a way to see the emoticons in your post, and not just the code (ie.Laugh), as well as being able to copy and paste things with working links, etc.

Above the reply box are options to format your post, such as bold (the big capital B in the top left corner,) italics (the big capital I next to that,) etc.

On the second line (assuming you're using Reply, and not the Fast Reply box) on the bottom right is a white square that looks like a piece of paper with the right corner turned down.  If you click on that, you'll be able to see the actual emoticons in the post, etc.
    Did that make sense?  I didn't get much sleep last night Overreaction 

Ah, but back to topic, I don't know that this will work if you have found a way to disable emoticons on the pages, though Sweat drop

There is a "Disable Smilies in this post" option, but that will only work on your own post, not anyone else's.

Does anyone have any input?

Disabling Emoticons? O9fj
    Spirit_of_Auron
    Spirit_of_Auron

Disabling Emoticons? Empty Re: Disabling Emoticons?

Post by Spirit_of_Auron Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I actually was going to ask myself if there's a way to set the forums so they don't auto watch topics, as i've had to manually unwatch topics so I don't get e-mails, and I can't find anything in the settings to stop it, and I use quick reply to post,and don't see an option in the quick reply box.

emote wise, I've not found anything in the settings myself yet for board settings at all, otherwise i would have said maybe they could try that, but haven't found that even in my profile.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:53 pm

if there's a way to set the forums so they don't auto watch topics
    Oh gosh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that!

When you post or reply (not fast reply), you can check or UNCHECK the box that says "Notify me when a reply is posted."

To have it automatically NOT notify you, do the following:

1. Click on the Profile tab at the top of the page
    2. Click on the Preferences tab
    3. Scroll down 'til you see the "Always notify me of replies" and select the NO option
    4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Save

Embarrassed  Sorry about that!  I'll see if I can make that the default from the Admin panel.

Spirit_of_Auron
    Spirit_of_Auron

Post by Spirit_of_Auron Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Thank you Genki, I'm so used to seeing a "board settings" option,I didn't realize there was a preferences tab in profile.
    vervaine
    vervaine

Post by vervaine Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

I'd like to disable images and see codes (i.e. :laugh.: ), but to have them display as images for others... I dunno why it's not a standard option on forums. I always switch emoticons off in instant messengers.

Opera browser (the Presto one - ver. 12) can disable gif animation, which is very good, but it doesn't have a reliable adblocker and there are ads here. The only other way I can think of is using adblock to block the images :laugh:I've looked for a Firefox addon for this once, but couldn't find anything that would allow whitelisting and blacklisting domains for animation blocking.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Here's why we have ads (meh)
    https://genkisgamegab.forumotion.com/t119-re-the-flashing-boxes-at-the-top-of-the-forum

and I highly recommend checking out AdBlock Plus to get rid of them!  It's just an add-on to your browser, and I've never had and trouble with the program.

Check it out HERE.

vervaine
    vervaine

Post by vervaine Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I should have mentioned that I'm on Firefox now. Smile I use adblock whenever possible and have custom content blocking enabled in Opera, but it doesn't block ads as reliably as Firefox/Chrome. It's more useful for hiding annoyances that are not malicious.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:27 am