Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

John Carter (2012)

genkicoll
    genkicoll

John Carter (2012) Empty John Carter (2012)

Post by genkicoll Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 am

John Carter
    Disney, 2012
    John Carter (2012) John_c10

Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior.

Starring Taylor Kitsch as John Carter, and Lynn Collins as the princess, Dejah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whomever wrote the synopsis above made a slight mistake:  "discovers a lush planet"  There is nothing lush about this planet -- I saw VERY little vegetation! Silly face  Someone needs to check their dictionary!

I never heard of this movie until yesterday afternoon, when it came on TV, and what an interesting movie it is!

I didn't know anything about it going in, expecting it to be a really dated offering from days gone by.  What I found was a movie full of fun, humor, and drama.  It's like a cross between Prince of Persia, Avatar, and Star Wars all thrown together into a mix that works really well!

John Carter is a character created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, an author whom I believe was way ahead of his time.  Mr. Burroughs is the man who created Tarzan, The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak series), many many more.  This movie marked 100 years since John Carter was first introduced.  Just how much science was common knowledge back in 1912?  Consider some of the themes and modern knowledge represented in these books, and perhaps you'll see where I'm coming from.

Ah, I digress, as usual Laugh

The overall feeling of the movie was very similar to Prince of Persia, a movie which I enjoyed.  When you add in the other influences (mentioned above,) it really makes for a fun movie.

Taylor Kitsch (John) somehow looked like a cross between a buffed up Brad Pitt and a younger Billy Bob Thornton, and he did a good job playing the somewhat reluctant, bad ass hero.  Lynn Collins (Dejah) was an excellent match, being a bad ass in her own right, powerful both in character and in body.

Disney did an excellent job with the body language and facial expressions on their non-human characters, and I especially loved the dog-like creature.  What a hoot he was!

Yes, there were a few corny Flash Gordon-type moments, but they just added to the charm of the movie.  Overall, it's a solid adventure, and fun for the whole family. Okay

John Carter (2012) O9fj
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

John Carter (2012) Empty Re: John Carter (2012)

Post by luvtoread Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 am

When this movie came out, it had really bad reviews and was a flop.
    I honestly knew nothing about it and forgot about it till now.
    Maybe I will check it out at a future time.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:47 am