Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+19
vervaine
kac
pippi
lackoo
heleanthia
Butterflyshrimp
sunshinej
Fairjuno
tesamoine
Sportygal2009
Frodo
jeanniemouse
jessmom01
genkicoll
RenaissanceMom
djrum
luvtoread
Esme
JustTheFacts
23 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:08 am

I'm at the moment of big finish of The Void, but had to stop as all those HOPs are tiring me out, and I'll need a lie down before the finale lol.

It's a great HOP game. But a long way short of Raincliff!!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:09 am

btw, I really enjoyed Blood Ruby...
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 am

Esme wrote:Now I don't know what to play.  Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 2164293255

The Longest Journey? Whistle
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 am

genkicoll wrote:
    Esme wrote:Now I don't know what to play.  Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 2164293255

The Longest Journey? Whistle

I've never actually played a regular adventure game. I tried a few times, but couldn't get the hang of it. I know in one of them I kept walking poor Watson into walls. I was pretty beastly to him without meaning to be.  Embarrassed
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 am

True adventures intimidate me, too, but I'm getting the hang of them Happy bounce  So what kind of game are you in the mood for?  Dark and Eerie, Bright and Cheery, sumpin' in between, or ?
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:57 am

For someone just getting the hang of adventure games I recommend the Broken Sword series starting with the first, Shadow of the Templars. It has great, memorable characters, an exciting story, a lot of humor, and isn't excessively long. The graphics are a bit cartoonish but beautifully drawn:

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Broken_Sword_-The_Shadow_of_the_Templars_screenshot

The Longest Journey, OTOH, is wonderful but will require a big investment of your time and attention.  Smile
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:12 am

Very creepy horror adventure game, for only £3.59   Okay 
    Huntsman: The Orphanage

We call this ‘alt horror’ because it has no graphic violence, blood or guns. As the player, you have no defense... however, you must show empathy and courage to save the twelve missing orphans. This is a game for people who like to explore, listen, think and solve - and play cat and mouse in a dark and scary maze. Listen to the nineteen personal creepypasta-style stories to piece together the mysterious events of that fateful night in 1898, when twelve orphans simply... disappeared! Now with shorter (30-60 sec) in-game stories to enhance the tension and new plot twists when you least expect them!

Here's a trailer for it.   Warning... it will make you   EEK! 

Last edited by Frodo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 am

Oh yes, I remember when I made the topic for Huntsman: The Orphanage!  It looks verrry creepy, and that's a good price!  I've been spending a bit too much on games lately, and I'm hoping that the Broken Sword games will come up at GOG soon, so I'll have to pass for now.  I'll go update Daily Royale, in the meantime Sunny

EDIT:  Here's the part of the description of the game that makes me like it:
    We call this ‘alt horror’ because it has no graphic violence, blood or guns
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:48 am

And it is still very creepy alright! That trailer eek!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Is anyone else interested in joining in for a group play of an adventure and/or Machinarium?  New Group Play Proposals.  Just want to make sure before finalizing any plans!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:02 am

Just wanted to make sure all my D&E friends know I'm posting a beta a day on the beta trials thread - most of which seem to be D&E at the moment.

Dark Tales has never been a series I've thought of as scary or creepy really, but the latest one has upped the creep factor quite a lot!

And MTrackers: Raincliff Phantoms - definitely spooky!  Big smile 

Today's beta is Fatal Passions, and it's darkish, but not so creepy.

And as if 50 betas aren't enough to keep me amused - Artifex Mundi have just sent me the beta for 9 Clues 2: Hallways of Madness! Remember the Serpents one? And the creepy mayor sssssilibancessssing all his words lol!!!

I have it, but haven't played it through yet  Embarrassed  Suppose I better before the next one is out huh?
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 am

Hi JustTheFacts!  Big smile I've been stopping in here having a quick look. I was here yesterday looking at Genki's list of developers because I wanted to find out what other games Seven Sails did.
    I think they were responsible for yesterday's TGT, which I wanted to demo until I read all the tech issues.
    I've just been too cold to do much of anything but ache. And it's a continued cold, I actually don't think I've been warm except when sleeping under my 5 blankets, for over a week.
    The electric company has asked that everyone conserve electric so we don't suffer a power outage & I've got the thermostat set on about as low as I can go without turning into an icicle.
    The fireplace is offering some relief, but I can't seem to warm up.  c-cold 

I am playing the new Hidden Expeditions game and loving it!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 am

Sorry to hear the freeze is still on!! I can't even begin to imagine such cold. Although I have felt like I can never warm up, I doubt its on a par with you right now! The thing I find so awe inspiring is that it is cold enough to kill people if they lose their heating! For me, that is unimaginable.

Hidden Exp 6 is special. It is still my ''current" favourite since I first played it when it first came out. Brilliant brilliant brilliant! I can't get enough of Eipix at the moment, everything they touch turns to gold.

Yes Seven Sails did yesterday's game. I was one of the people with glitches unfortunately, because it is a really promising game. Am waiting on word from bfg cs about how to fix. But I've done all the usual reinstalling etc. to no avail.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 am

Oh I know, it's terrible. DH reminds me we do live in a cold-weather climate, but we haven't experienced this kind of cold for quite some time.
    It settles into your bones and won't leave.

I did read where you had problems with Obscure Legends & I'm kind of hesitant to try it out. I've been plagued by annoying ads when on-line since yesterday. I don't know what the deal is because it only happens every once in awhile.
    I did install Ad Block Plus & I know it works, but these other ads are a PITA & so annoying I can't tolerate it & they show up everywhere.
    I think it may be a server problem, but I'm not sure. I did upgrade my bundle package from the cable company a couple of months ago & it included a faster internet speed. I also updated IE (whatever the next number was), and it seems like that's when these stupid ads started showing up.
    It's better for me to be off-line right now.

I watched the trailer for Huntsman: The Orphanage and wow, spooky. I have to say, I like implied terror better than in-your-face terror. I find it's even scarier!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 am

Yes, me too. You get a thick skin when it comes to gross because it is always there ad nauseum. You just kind of block it out. Implied kind of sneaks under the radar.

I just heard back from bfg about the Obscure Legends game. They gave me the usual troubleshooting stuff, and I forgot to clear out the saved data folder, so I'm trying that, but they also gave me a coupon, whether it works or not.

But I didn't buy the game!!!  Belly laugh I was asking for help with the demo! And I know them, I'll send an email saying that, and they'll say keep it anyway, for the hassle.!!! I love bfg! Belly laugh Wub
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:51 am

And I think it's a scream, but I am not knocking them for it - keeps me loyal whenever it matters! They'll never lose my business even if they ever do really piss me off.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 am

Drum roll please: I'm about to try to play Obscure Legends for the sixth time! You know a game has got to be good if it inspires that kind of effort after only 15mins of play...
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 am

It froze on me again! Then, wait, escaped the intro... still working... YES! We have lift off!! Game played glitch-free for the rest of the demo!  Happy bounce 

And the 2nd half of the demo is soooooo much better than the first. Beautiful jungle and waterfalls, birds and other gorgeous sounds. Magic. Will buy this game and just let it sit there on my desk when I need soothing!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 am

Great, JustTheFacts! Hope the game keeps playing. I'll try the demo out myself because I also want to demo the TGT.

I have a question, in HE: The Smithsonian, it lists a "Gold Crown in Every HOP." I haven't found any (typical for me). I have found the Smithsonian Emblems & a few of the MOs.
    Do they mean "Crown" as in what a king wears or "Crown" as in money?
    I've looked for both and so far, no luck.
    (oh, btw, I thought the "stereograph" 3-D hidden object scene was really cool. It reminded me of the HO scenes in MCF: The Malgrave Incident (released for the Wii).
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:57 am

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is on sale for $1.99 at GOG for the next hour+  I totally forgot I had this one!  Gonna wait for a group play to work on it, though Snicker
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:19 am

Haha - but not with me you won't!  EEK!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 am

Mahaha Belly laugh  Well, I've got Fallout and whatever game you and I play next (looking like TLJ!) before I even think about any other adventure games.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm planning to try Serena, which was just released at Steam today as a Free-to-Play.  It's advertised as a short adventure game, which suits me right about now.  It's a collaboration between devs and fans, AND one of those devs is the one currently working on Asylum (which we were talking about a few pages back)!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm

I received  betas today!!   I only have the energy to play one tonight, and I already did.
    The one from Artifax Mundi the JustTheFacts mentioned--9 Clues: Halls of Madness.

Its definitely different.    They actually have a Detective Mode where its like a slight
    reversal of HO.   Instead of a list,  you are finding things related to clues you need,
    and then the names of those things you find are revealed.
    JTF  will definitely explain it better.
    I did not find it difficult to play,  no getting stuck,  but there is a bit of conversation
    you have to get through.    Also the usual while your partner tells you what to do,
    meanwhile he does not seem to get anything done.      Other than that,   the story
    line is a bit different.    As in--who really is crazy?  

Oh--I have The Longest Journey if you decide to play.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 pm

luvtoread wrote:Oh--I have The Longest Journey if you decide to play.
    Ooh, that will be fun.  Happy bounce
    Have fun with your 3 (!) betas!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 am