Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

RenaissanceMom

Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by RenaissanceMom on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Ooh DJ, lucky you with a fireplace! It's super cold & snowy in NYC too.  c-cold 
    I am still playing Shadow Shelter. It's quite a fun, cool little game but man, those slow footstep breaks between scenes are getting OLD!

Tomorrow I'll install A Vampyre Story... are we starting on Saturday, Genki?

ETA - re: EFR, I liked it but didn't really love it. Mostly because those morphing HO scenes were sooooo tedious, cause I guess I wasn't any good at them. Snicker  Also, I appreciated the story and gameplay technology but the over the top gross parts were just a little too 'adolescent boy' silly for me.  Rolling Eyes  All in all I enjoyed the experience but thanks to those %$&@# morphs from hell I know I'll never play it again.

Keep warm everyone!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Was 22C here at 2am. Had fan on! Has actually cooled down a little, at 8.30am

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Go ahead, rub it in. LOL

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:39 pm

RenaissanceMom wrote:Tomorrow I'll install A Vampyre Story... are we starting on Saturday, Genki?

That's what I was thinking Smile  I figure that I'll get familiar with the game controls tomorrow night after I install it, then actually start playing on Saturday.

Stay warm, everyone!  It's been on the mild side here for the past couple of weeks, but we'll be dipping below freezing again for the next few days.  I'm having trouble staying warm, but that has nothing to do with the weather Snicker

Esme

Post by Esme on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:29 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:Was 22C here at 2am. Had fan on! Has actually cooled down a little, at 8.30am
     I just read that it's supposed to be -30 tomorrow morning. Not sure if that's actual temp or wind chill... no matter. Whichever it is, it's too darn cold!  c-cold

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:38 pm

I just noticed something weird...

This thread is only 7 page long. Huh?  That's strange.  I looked, and we have two D&E threads, and the other one is locked!  I didn't lock it, and none of you have that ability, so I tried -- fruitlessly -- to merge the topics.

Upon further checking, it turns out that the forum has a limit of 50 pages per topic, then page 51 automatically starts a new topic with the same name! OH!  Ya learn somethin' new every day! Laugh  I looked to see if I could adjust it, and I can't... but that's OK!  It just means that the old thread is archived, and we can still "visit" it at any time.

Happy 57 pages!  Go us!

djrum

Post by djrum on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Yay, for us!!!  Happy bounce

I never noticed the page numbers....  Huh? 

Yeah, rub it in, JustTheFacts, I've got long johns, 4 shirts, 2 pairs of socks, and gloves on.  Big smile 

The fireplace is on, the furnace is kicking on, I've got an additional heater on, boy-oh-boy, the electric company will absolutely love us!
    We have an electric furnace and electric heat is not warm, but it sure is costly. Our "new" furnace is supposed to be energy efficient, blah, blah, blah. I don't notice it on my bill every month.  Yeah right 
    The last bill we got was a whopper, the highest one since we've lived here (18 years).  OH!

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Esme wrote:
    JustTheFacts wrote:Was 22C here at 2am. Had fan on! Has actually cooled down a little, at 8.30am
     I just read that it's supposed to be -30 tomorrow morning. Not sure if that's actual temp or wind chill... no matter. Whichever it is, it's too darn cold!  c-cold
    Holy smokes that IS cold all right!  Shock  Do what you can to keep warm, Esme.
    Something's busted in my daughter's apartment and it's been 45 degrees in her place. The landlady came by with profuse apologies and it's either getting or gotten fixed by now, but her saltwater fish have all died.  Cry

djrum

Post by djrum on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Esme, I know a lot of people complained about Mama in MCF: EfR, but I was cracking up. The whole time I was thinking, "Really, Devs? Are you serious?" And then I would crack up.

I agree with the people who said the storyline was very dark and certainly twisted.
    I do not agree with the people who said it was an awful game.

I thought it was brilliantly well-designed and definitely NOT a tiptoe-thru-the-tulips kind of game.
    But those morphing HO scenes were a PITA.

djrum

Post by djrum on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Aw, I hate to hear about your daughter's saltwater fish, R-Mom. I hope the heat is fixed in her apartment already, 45 degrees is way too cold.

Frodo

Post by Frodo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:18 am

Just started playing Face Noir, and LOVE it   Big smile 
    Love the old PI detective games like this.  And the music is just right for the game.   Elk grin 

And for anyone that's enjoying Face Noir... you'd probably also like Tex Murphy, and Blade Runner.   Okay

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:00 pm

The Weekend Promo at GOG includes the Dark Fall games for just $2.39 each.  Awesome price!  They look Scratches-scary, and I've always heard that these are excellent.

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Genki, you have got to stop tempting me in this way!! Argh! I'll buy the bloody things, and then never play them, or course, discover I can't play them!

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks for reminding me I have the series on discs all ready to install and play:
    ~Dark Fall The Journal
    ~Dark Fall Lights Out
    ~Barrow Hill
    ~The Lost Crown
     devilish grin

jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Frodo wrote:Just started playing Face Noir, and LOVE it   Big smile 
    Love the old PI detective games like this.  And the music is just right for the game.   Elk grin 

And for anyone that's enjoying Face Noir... you'd probably also like Tex Murphy, and Blade Runner.   Okay

Yay Frodo!  I am so loving that game too - the music, the atmosphere, the 30's Bogart type hard drinkin', smart aleck PI... isn't it fun?
    I don't know Tex Murphy, & have only heard of Blade Runner, but if they're along the lines of FN, i'll put 'em on my list to check out.
    Thanks for the heads up.  - j.

Frodo

Post by Frodo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Jessmom, it's my pleasure.   Okay 

Here's a trailer for Tex Murphy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw5jyKOndZ8 
    I love this game, cos the decisions you make, and your actions, determine future events in the game.  Do you play 'Only Looking Out For Number 1', or do you try to help your friends?  So there is many different senarious that will change, and the ending will differ, depending on what you did in the game.   Happy bounce 

This shows Blade Runner.  It's kind of a spin-off from the film. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TNyP3zuvEM

jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Frodo, thanks again, these look pretty interesting.  Tex looks very campy-cool, & I was really surprised to recognize some well known actors in there!  Don't think I've ever seen a game presentation quite like that.  Blade Runner the movie is one of my all-time favorite flicks, so if the game is even loosely based on that kind of thing, it's gotta be worth checking out.  The vid looks good.  Thanks a bunch, i'll definitely follow up on these.   Two thumbs up
    Wow, the price for the Darkfall games is crazy good!  I've heard of them, but never checked them out.  Has anyone played any of them?

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 pm

RenaissanceMom wrote:
    Esme wrote:
    Holy smokes that IS cold all right!  Shock  Do what you can to keep warm, Esme.
    Something's busted in my daughter's apartment and it's been 45 degrees in her place. The landlady came by with profuse apologies and it's either getting or gotten fixed by now, but her saltwater fish have all died.  Cry
     Oh no! I'm so sorry about the fish and your daughter's yucky situation. Glad the landlady was actually working to get it fixed. Sometimes that can be tricky. It didn't get quite as cold as they predicted, but it was below zero for actual temps with the wind chill being negative double digits. That is serious cold! We have a winter advisory too, since the wind is SO strong right now. It knocked out cable about and hour ago; thankfully, it was only off for about five minutes.

I'm doing what I can to keep warm. I've got my biggest, thickest, velvetyest, purpleyest comforter wrapped around me like a burrito. I look like either Grimace or The Velveteen Eggplant. I'm not sure which, though Velveteen Eggplant has a certain quirky charm to it.  Laugh 

I started to play Twin Vaccine, which I remember DJ liking very much. It's quite good, but one that I'll have to pay attention to, so for now I think it's back to PvZ for a while. My brain on a Friday night is not at peak performance levels.  Snicker 

I'll be interested to see how all you Dark Fall players like it. I watched some videos about it, and it looks good and scary, but I never have gotten the knack for straight adventure games. Keep us updated!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:26 am

djrum wrote:
    I will have to put Eipix right up there with the current big E developers (ERS & Elephant) making it a total of three big E developers!

For a while now I've thought of them as the Triple E's - Elephant, ERS & Eipix. In that order. After this week, Eipix have rocketed to way in front of both the others.

First, Hope Diamond last month, then Amaranthine Voyage 2 - loooooved it! Then Myths of the World 3, also looks excellent. And now, I have just finished the beta test on Final Cut 3 - awesome! This was my least fave series of theirs, but this last one looks so cool!!! I may drool! Will type up a few words in the General Game Gab brand new Beta thread  Happy bounce 

Well worth a read fellow gabbers! Wonderful surprise!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:32 am

Bad news for the Escape series fans. Escape Darkmoor Manor is not working properly. Waiting for a solution from iwin (they're the developers this time, btw).

Is very different in terms of game mechanics, so I hope they get it together.

djrum

Post by djrum on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:48 am

LMAO, Esme! A "Velveteen Eggplant?"  Belly laugh We've got around 4-5 inches of snow right now, but the good thing is...it's a bit warmer.  Silly face 

JustTheFacts, when you say the Escape series, are you talking about Escape Rosecliff Island & the two other games I can't remember the titles of?
    If so, YAY! They (another dev, it's not PopCap/SpinTop??) have another game out! (I love this series!)

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:55 am

djrum wrote:

JustTheFacts, when you say the Escape series, are you talking about Escape Rosecliff Island & the two other games I can't remember the titles of?

I believe this is another of them (Escape Rosecliff Island, Misty Valley and The Emerald Star). It has exactly the same feel. But I can't be certain yet, because can't play past the first location!

djrum

Post by djrum on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:13 am

I went to iwin to see if the game looked similar to the other Escape games and I couldn't tell by looking at the screenshot.
    So, iwin, please fix your game!!

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:01 am

Escape From Darkmoor Manor seems to be an adventure game (please correct me if I'm wrong!) and is by Inertia Game Studios.  It doesn't look anything like the other Escape games to me.

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 am

Oh, it's me then.  Oops! Sorry Escape fans!

Genki, how do you know so much? You are an inexhaustible font of knowledge!  Elk grin 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:20 am

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:20 am