Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 38 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by djrum Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 am

How true, R-Mom. You know, one developer does something everyone raves about and pretty soon all the other developers have to do the same.
    It was like that when real video was introduced in Dire Grove (and done well). I'm used to it now, but I wasn't that crazy about it back then. I had to get used to it slowly, lol!

I love animals, too! But I kind of like my games without them. I guess I'm a solitary person who enjoys playing alone, with no helpers.
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 am

Hey all   Smile 

I'm not overly-keen on animal pets\helpers in games... BUT... I would love a game with a dragon, or a gryphon helper, or something like that.   Okay
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:16 am

The only game I can think of with a dragon helper is Princess Isabella, and that helper is the MOST annoying, rage-inducing game character I've ever encountered.  Overreaction 

Of course YMMV.
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:32 am

Hehe, I had forgotten about Princess Isabella.  That's kinda too cutesy for my taste.   Suspect 
    I was thinking more of a dragon with ATTITUDE   Laugh
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 pm

My list shows three games with dragons as helpers:

Forest Legends: The Call of Love (baby dragon)
    Magic Farm 1 & 2 (Robin the dragon)
    Revived Legends: Road of the Kings (raccoon and dragon)

The only game I can think of with a helper that has attitude is Dreamscapes, but Benny wasn't exactly a helper Laugh

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 38 O9fj
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Revived Legends looks brilliant - a definate must-buy!
    And that dragon is awesome!   Elk grin 

Dreamscapes looks good as well.  I'm going to buy that in the GameHouse sale. 

Thanks Genki Two thumbs up
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 pm

You're welcome!

Dreamscapes was my adventure-lite game of the year for 2013 -- it's AWESOME -- and since you don't have it yet, $1.99 is a great deal for it!

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Esme wrote:The only game I can think of with a dragon helper is Princess Isabella, and that helper is the MOST annoying, rage-inducing game character I've ever encountered.  Overreaction 

Of course YMMV.

It was the fairy with the squeaky voice that made me wish I could cursor smack her.     pfft 

I never did get around to trying out the second Isabella.

As far as the Christmas Carol Crazy Cats,   well,  I bought the one from last year,  Christmas
    Stories:  The Nutcracker  as the DD.   It is still sitting waiting for me to finish playing.
    I know I will not get the latest Christmas game......ever.   Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:44 pm

There's a dragon in the second one. He sounds congested and annoying!
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:52 pm

RMom - you're not the only one who doesn't like Elephant's christmas games.
    I've seen them on BFG, and they just don't appeal, at all.  Too sugary-sweet.   Gah!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Re achievements, don'tcha just love the achievement for getting all the achievements?  Belly laugh 

(I finished the bonus in Mysterium and did NOT get all my achievements!)  Rolling Eyes
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 pm

genkicoll wrote:Revived Legends: Road of the Kings (raccoon and dragon)
    Never heard of this. I'll check it out; I like dragons too.
    Speaking of them, my DD used to play Spyro on PS, but the one for Wii proved too tough for her.
    I'm trying to remember other dragon-themed games. I remember the dragon near the end of Drawn, but it's a minor character.

ETA - Oh wait; are Revived Legends' animals meant to be cutesy?
    Butterflyshrimp
    Butterflyshrimp

Post by Butterflyshrimp Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi all!  Very cold here also.

Didn't "9:  The Dark Side of Notre Dame" have a dragon helper named Gladriel?  I loved the first Dark Side but didn't like Notre Dame.  I wanted to cursor slap Gladriel so many times I lost count & couldn't wait for the game to end.  Was ready to turn the sound off because of Gladriel.  That dragon irritated the heck out of me.  I love animal helpers if they are allowed to stay 'animals' instead of dressing them up or being 'sickingly sweet'.  Elf (in Mystery Trackers:  Black Isle) still leads in the animal helper/partner catagory for me. He's allowed to be 'himself'...a dog... & not 'cutsey' or sickenly sweet.  I love animal helpers, but only if they're allowed to be 'natural'.  Can't help it...I'm a sucker for animals (except for Gladriel)!      Rolling Eyes

ETA:
      Did a beta on "Nightwalkers: The Lurker Story or Nightwalkers:  Drawn to the Woods".  It has two names...don't know why, or which name it will be released under.  It's a good D&E adventure/hidden object game with a very good story line, has casual, expert, & custom settings, lots of things to do, has interactive HOS, puzzles are good & range from easy to hard (for me),  collectibles, graphics are excellent, clear & crisp with good voice overs, a jump map, the music is appropriate for the story line, and the hint button is directional...takes 45 seconds on casual to recharge.  Skips take 45 seconds also.  Look forward to its release.

(Edited to add information on new game).

Last edited by Butterflyshrimp on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:15 pm

RenaissanceMom wrote:ETA - Oh wait; are Revived Legends' animals meant to be cutesy?

I don't know, I haven't tried it.  Check out Justie's review HERE.

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 am

I don't know what to play next. I want something suspenseful and dark and creepy... with nothing cutesy. 

I have so many un-played games! No clue even where to begin.  Hmm...
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:27 am

Esme wrote:I don't know what to play next. I want something suspenseful and dark and creepy... with nothing cutesy. 

I have so many un-played games! No clue even where to begin.  Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 38 1523927941

Well, not Nearwood, then!  Bright and Cheery, and oh-so-delightful! Laugh

Let's seeeee... Have you played Theatre of the Absurd, Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman,
    Shadows: Price for Our Sins (starts out frightening, but loses some momentum as you progress), Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls, Infected: The Twin Vaccine, Stray Souls 2: Stolen Memories, The Gift, Chimeras: Tune of Revenge, Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town, or the Whispers games? Whispers 1: Room 6 & Whispers 2: Revelation.

I'm assuming you've played the BoC games already.

Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 am

RenaissanceMom wrote:LOL, I am probably the only person who doesn't like Elephant's Christmas games.  grinch 
    I thought last year's was too precious for words - I don't do precious when it comes to games - and I can't even recall if I demo'd this year's...I read enough to know it was another no-go for me.

A touch of cuteness or sweetness in a game can be okay. I'm not against all talking animals (after all, my alltime favorite game, The Longest Journey, features Crow although he's far from cute or sweet). But like a rich seasoning these elements have to be introduced delicately with a deft expert's hand, and lately this has NOT been the case.
    You are not the only one. I don't care for their Christmas games either. grinch   As a matter of fact I don't really much care for most of their games. Only a few.

I sure hope Blam! isn't going this "cutesy" route with these little helpers in the game. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't make them at all as some people enjoy these games but gee it's been "cutesy" overload lately.  I was generous with my last game review. I gave them 2 stars. If I would of saw any feeding/dressing up of the animal well that would of got my 1 1star  stop madness, cut off, pull the plug rating.

I'm also trying to find something to play. I have plenty in my purchase history but for some reason just not appealing to me right now and can't go outside and go anywhere cause under state emergency. It's MINUS 10 degrees here were I'm at and got over 2 feet of snow. It's no longer snowing and the sun is now shining but  c-cold  Everything is closed. I can't wait until the weekend. It's suppose to warm up. Be in the high 30's and yes that's a heat wave compared to this.

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:13 am

Holy OUCH, Sporty! Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 38 3179808506   Snowfall   Stay inside, for certain!

Can you give us a list of games that you're considering playing?  Maybe we can help?

By the way, have you contacted Blam! with your latest review and gripes?  They DO listen!  They've been posting at The Diving Bell lately.

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:13 am

genkicoll wrote:

Let's seeeee... Have you played Theatre of the Absurd, Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman,
    Shadows: Price for Our Sins (starts out frightening, but loses some momentum as you progress), Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls, Infected: The Twin Vaccine, Stray Souls 2: Stolen Memories, The Gift, Chimeras: Tune of Revenge, Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town, or the Whispers games? Whispers 1: Room 6 & Whispers 2: Revelation.

I'm assuming you've played the BoC games already.

Well... I've played Theatre of the Absurd... loved Thief of Souls... waxed rhapsodic about Stray Souls 2.... maybe I should try Twin Vaccine or I never did get around to BoC 2... 

For now, I went to one of my all-time favorite replays though... PvZ! LOL Sorta cute but not cutesy, if you know what I mean.

I should be out shoveling, but I don't wanna.  La la la!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:17 am

PvZ is not cute, it's QUIRKY! Belly laugh

BoC2 is great!  Very different than the first one, but just as good or better, depending on your mood!

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 am

That's good to know, because though I liked the first one, I didn't love it like a lot of people did. I think once I get tired of zombies, I'll give the second one a shot. 

I'll have time. I've got two snow days this week. Like I said, I should be shoveling, but I really don't want to. I'm still recovering from the last two days of shoveling! LOL Gah!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:34 am

Holy Moses, Sportygal, that's freakin' cold! It's cold here with teen temps and steadily falling. The wind chill...man, it's brutal! But, we didn't get the snow & freezing rain expected.

Hey there, Butterfly! Hm...I played 9: The Dark Side of Notre Dame and the only thing I remember is, I didn't like it as well as the first game.

I'm playing The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion (correct title?). It's the newest one. I love Orneon (the Devs) and I'll play anything they release.
    I also got Mythic Wonders and noticed it's in the same folder as The Story of Kisilova game (again, correct title is questionable, it's the "based on true events" vampire game, which I really liked).

Really, Genki???? Blam! has been posting at the Diving Bell???? I know they post at BFG. Well, that's great news and shows they actually care about how well their games are received and I do admire any developer who has the courage to do that.

Last edited by djrum on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct game title)
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am

Infected: The Twin Vaccine was very good, I thought!! The storyline was very different in a Stephen King "The Stand" kind of way.
    What amazed me was, the team who developed Infected, is a really small group of people. So, no bells & whistles, just good gameplay.
    (I watched the "making of" video at the end)
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:27 pm

Esme, play the 3rd game on your list.   Smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Which one, Frodo? The Shadows one?

Sponsored content