Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

luvtoread

Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by luvtoread on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 pm

dj-  I know what you mean,  c-cold  I only stepped out of my apartment in the last 2 days to keep
    car and driveway snow free.   Thank goodness its light and fluffy,  except when the snow
    plow comes through.     Its the wind chill that's  making it worse.
    I had forgotten about Phantasmat.   I own it and I do remember I played it.
    One of those  "I don't care if the car broke down you really should not go there
    and do that!"   game.     OH! 

But you know the character is going to do it anyway.     Big smile

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:14 pm

It's bitterly cold here too and our drafty apartment is leaking in that cold in several places. My bedroom feels like a meat locker  c-cold  -- we have a heater blasting away in there at the moment. Ugh, I hate winter so much!!!

Re: Dire Grove, I love love love that game. It was like the 2nd or 3rd game I played here and certainly the first - and best - MCF I played. Absolutely adore it, but I could NOT play it during this weather. I need a balmy, tropical game to help warm me up!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:35 am

Well. I'd love to tell you it was balmy tropical here today - it should be - but it's grey and dreary and I'm in long sleeves. To add insult to injury, we've got fires just out of town (1st of the season) and the air is choking with bush fire smoke. Luckily, the day no more suits the needs of those fires than it does me, so I won't be off doing my 'fire' job.

Personally, I never want to play those freezing games, but there are so many of them! It's like all the rest of the world outside my experience is snow bound most of the time. I too hate the cold and have never been anywhere that remotely resembles Dire Grove. I can't really imagine what it's like.

I gave up on it last night and spent a couple of hours playing Heartwild Solitaire. Nice game. Like that they have a classic Klondike game as well. I grew up playing that, only we just called it "patience" and I never even heard the word solitaire until I was watching tv.

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 am

Genki, I see you've changed the banner to Margrave: Blacksmith's Daughter. That was one of those games that I was sure would be awful but I loved to bits!!! Think I'll replay it soon.  Happy bounce

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am

It's on my list of replays for this month too, along with Margrave: Severed Heart. I really enjoyed both of them too.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:30 am

I thought we could use a break from the snowy, wintry banners, hence the Margrave banner.  I loved both of the last games (Blacksmith's Daughter and Severed Heart) -- so much so that I had to see how the story evolved from game #2.  Now THAT'S a lesson in patience!  I got through it because I enjoyed the story, but that's all that kept me playing!  It was just one HO scene after the other, repeating and repeating... Laugh  Even though I made it through #2, I couldn't bring myself to play #1 Snicker

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:40 am

I tried to trial them and gave it up after about 20 mins. Not for me at all!  Overreaction 

djrum

Post by djrum on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:14 am

um...what's the order of the Margrave games? I've got one of them here (disc form) that my sister loaned me a few years ago (I keep forgetting I still have it). I think it's Curse of the Severed Heart.

I never finished the first Margrave due to it being the longest hidden object game ever produced. And me, a lover of hidden object scenes, got tired of playing it.  Silly face

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:51 am

Here's a list along with my notes
    1. The Secret of Margrave Manor (never played it; looks dull)
    2. Margrave Manor 2: Lost Ship (never played it; looks dull)
    3. Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart (very good but annoying creature voices)
    4. Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter (excellent; my favorite)

They definitely got more adventure-y as they went along.

djrum

Post by djrum on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks, R-Mom! I'll check out 3 & 4.  Okay 

I finished Into the Haze. The story is the basic, Rescue Niece from Evil Entity. The music needed to be changed a bit in the HO scenes, it was quite boring listening to the same tune...over & over.
    The HO scenes were really simple, with no interactivity. No hints needed or used, except for a wrong item listed in a HO scene. The puzzles were deceptively easy, also.
    No map, so you'd better have a good memory (or finish it in one sitting, which I didn't!).
    Overall, not a bad game for a PCC.

Esme

Post by Esme on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:14 am

I could never get into the Margrave games for some reason. Maybe I'll have to try again.

I've just go so many other games that I haven't played already, you know? 

I'm going to try to finish the bonus section of the Christmas Carol game. It was good, but I often have "issues" with games based of literature, especially if I've read the book. I found myself having that problem with this game. ( I need a facepalm smiley here)

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 am

Oh, and I really liked the voiceovers in the Margraves and that's saying something cause I usually find v.o's lacking and prefer games without.

Ah different strokes, Esme. Smile  I will say that the premise behind Blacksmith's Daughter seemed ridiculous and I thought I'd hate it but the gameplay was so fresh and fun with clever puzzles that made sense. I just adored it! and bought Severed Heart afterwards. (I had done the beta for SH a long time ago and couldn't stand the cutesy voices so never bought it when it was released.) Anyway, this time I played with a revived eye, having loved Blacksmith's Daughter so much, and it was really enjoyable (annoying voices notwithstanding, lol).

As usual, your mileage may vary.

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Count me as another one who didn't think I would like Margrave: Blacksmith's Daughter.
    I finally demoed it when it was a DD and bought it and enjoyed it.

I need to start taking notes as to voice overs.   I do remember laughing about the VO's
    for Dark Dimensions:  Wax Beauty.  That was like watching a Chinese movie with English
    VO.   I found it rather entertaining. 
    I know how much everyone loved Enigmatis.   But the VO on that drove me nuts.   Its petty,
    I know,  but her calling the little girl "Sweetheart" and lying to the girl that there are no
    monsters in a sugary voice had me yelling  "Of Course there are!  Stop lying!!  Smarten
    up!"     Belly laugh 
    There are other ones where the voice is suppose to make me believe that this is
    serious and urgent "Oh My!!"    All the time I'm thinking:   Please be quiet.  If it was
    that urgent I wouldn't be rooting around in a pile of junk.     Rolling Eyes 

I am tackling Alex Hunter:   Lord of the Mind.   I knew I would like it cause dj did.   Okay 
    It really is challenging.     Excellent game.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Whenever you're wondering about the order of a series, this list might help: Game Series and Genre Whistle

I'm in the middle of an adventure game at the moment, but I think I'll play another casual game next... Just not sure which one!

djrum

Post by djrum on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 pm

lol, luvtoread, the VO's in Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty were awful. The words didn't match the mouth movement at all! The game was good, though.

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind, I can't recommend it enough. Game entertainment in its highest form! Superb job, Epic Star!! (I can't wait to play it again)

djrum

Post by djrum on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Oh, thank you, Genki! I love, love, love your Dev's list of games. That's a necessity for me.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:06 pm

lol~ Maybe I'll play Alex Hunter, then! Laugh

Some good $1.99 deals at GameHouse right now, including a Nancy Drew game:
    GameHouse Discount Deals & Free games

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

luvtoread wrote:I know how much everyone loved Enigmatis.   But the VO on that drove me nuts.   Its petty,
    I know,  but her calling the little girl "Sweetheart" and lying to the girl that there are no
    monsters in a sugary voice had me yelling  "Of Course there are!  Stop lying!!  Smarten
    up!"     Belly laugh 
    There are other ones where the voice is suppose to make me believe that this is
    serious and urgent "Oh My!!"    All the time I'm thinking:   Please be quiet.  If it was
    that urgent I wouldn't be rooting around in a pile of junk.     Rolling Eyes
    Exactly why I dislike 99% of voiceovers - they are so poorly or unbelievably acted.
    Which is why Margrave's Edwina was such a pleasant surprise.

Esme

Post by Esme on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I played Enigmatis with the sound off!  Belly laugh

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 am

Oooooooookay.... so I finally got to the end of the Christmas Carol game and started the bonus section. Then the game turned bizzaro! Catland? Seriously?? I'm not even sure I want to finish it. Does the bonus section get any better? Anyone who has played it and can tell me would be appreciated. 

What a freaky little bonus section.  Shock

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 am

Well, it depends on if you like cat characters, because the entire bonus game is set in Catland. You assist in finding an AWOL Santa cat and enlist a whole bunch of other cats, each of whom have their own problems of course.

I liked it, but then I fall madly in love with the cat characters in the first Christmas Stories. The bonus game is also perhaps the longest and most complex story I've seen in a bonus. Felt like a whole new separate game.

I do seem to remember that it took me a little time to warm up to it.

djrum

Post by djrum on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 am

lol, Esme! The bonus in Christmas Carol pretty much stays bizarro. It was cute and the VO's were good.

But....I'm so sick of the annoyingly sweet cuteness in games. Enough is enough already!!

djrum

Post by djrum on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

I'm working on the bonus in Mysterium: Lake Bliss (which is a prequel to the main game and not needed for a complete ending).
    The premise is a tragic story filled with broken promises, unrequited love, murder & mayhem.
    The graphics were slightly cartoonish in some scenes (a big no-no for me).
    Hidden object scenes were clear with little interaction. There were a few fragmented scenes, also. Puzzles were on the easy side.
    I lost my way near the end & had to use the Hint (refills quickly).
    The map is a transporter with hot-spot locators.
    And there are collectibles & achievements.
    Overall, it was an okay game.

Last edited by djrum on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I need stronger glasses!)

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:12 pm

LOL, I am probably the only person who doesn't like Elephant's Christmas games.  grinch 
    I thought last year's was too precious for words - I don't do precious when it comes to games - and I can't even recall if I demo'd this year's...I read enough to know it was another no-go for me.

A touch of cuteness or sweetness in a game can be okay. I'm not against all talking animals (after all, my alltime favorite game, The Longest Journey, features Crow although he's far from cute or sweet). But like a rich seasoning these elements have to be introduced delicately with a deft expert's hand, and lately this has NOT been the case.

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 pm

I like cats. I like pretty much all animals. However, I am not in the correct mind-frame for bizarro Catland right now. I think I will set it aside, and try a different game for a while. 

Aren't I just too diplomatic? LOL  flutter eyelashes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:33 am

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:33 am