Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Shady Part of Me

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Shady Part of Me Empty Shady Part of Me

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Shady Part of Me
    by Douze Dixièmes - December, 2020

Available at:
    Steam
    VOTE to get it at GOG HERE

Shady Part of Me Header

Shady Part of Me sends you on an emotional and dream-like journey, with breathtaking artistic direction and the enthralling voice of Hannah Murray (Game of Thrones, Skins).

Shady Part of Me SPOM_GIF_STEAM_01_V1

As a little girl and her shadow, overcome emotional struggles through surreal dreamscapes across a touching narrative filled with twists and surprises. Both must learn, cooperate and evolve to progress in a poetic journey.

• Play with light and shadows, switching between 2D and 3D gameplay at will
    • Your ability to rewind time will help you get you through all situations
    • Explore surreal environments envisioned in a unique watercolor style
    • Solve contemplative puzzles to break the dream
    • Experience an introspective narrative journey like no other

Shady Part of Me SPOM_GIF_STEAM_02_V1
    Shady Part of Me Ss_f33bd6b65b2002916351fb042047b5956ad621b2.600x338
    Shady Part of Me Ss_e47c8a9ab2dfdbf82a964040a4edb7a35c2b2c79.600x338

Shady Part of Me O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Shady Part of Me Empty Re: Shady Part of Me

Post by genkicoll Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:49 am

Shady Part of Me (Narrative Platformer)

NOTE: This game is a narrative experience, and the gameplay reflects that.  There is NO precision platforming nor impossible-to-figure-out puzzles along the way.

Options include volume controls for Master, Music, SFX and Voices; Brightness, Resolution (for me the default was 1536 x 864), Controller or Keyboard (re-mappable), and choice of Language.

Story and Gameplay:

The store page expresses the gist of the game and story well, but in my own words, this is about a girl struggling to face life and pain, darkness and light, yin and yang.

We journey as two parts of the whole...  Part of us depends on the light, traveling through the shadows upon flat surfaces, whilst the other part is afraid of the light, and moves about in 2.5D world... It's not quite 3D, but it still *feels* 3-dimensional.
    Shady Part of Me 210934967204D39C95330CB43175CF552136F59B

Each character is controlled separately, and you can switch back and forth at will.  You will have to cooperate with your shadow in order to progress, the goal being to get you both to the marked checkpoint.  These are pretty close together, and you may be blocked off from the last segment once you both hit the save point.

Why is this important?  Because there are collectible origami birds, and finding them can add just the slightest bit more to the tale.

You can see how many you've collected in the top right corner of the screen, but more helpful is the 'Revisit' section of the Menu, which will show you how many you've collected (and missed) per chapter.  You can, I assume, replay a chapter at any time and not lose your progress.

There are no HINTS available, but in general, you won't need them.  The puzzles tend to be on the easy-to-figure-out side, as the driving force behind this game is learning the story.  Gathering the birds can be a little trickier, but it's obvious that the devs WANT you to complete the game, and rage-quitting doesn't exactly make one want to keep playing non-stop. XD
    Shady Part of Me 47EE728A50560477E21D95B582100001DAE10F93

Although not super-challenging, the mechanics do evolve and become more complex as you progress, making things even more interesting, and blending beautifully with where we are in the story.

A lot of things come to mind as I think about the game.  Whimsy.  Fear.  Sorrow.  Beauty.  Strength.  The devs managed to convey these feelings in a manner that is both fluid and poignant, enhancing their tale in a variety of ways.  There are elements of the known: A sprinkle of the shadow-play from Contrast, visible word play and environmental unlocks like in Epistory - Typing Chronicles, 2.5D gameplay reminiscent of Max: The Curse of Brotherhood... and yet as a whole Shady Part of Me is nothing like other games I've played.

Shady Part of Me 7EEA67BE3D398B9B196DEA7DE18B0C722DD30E82

Verdict:

Shady Part of Me is a little slow to start off, but quickly becomes hard to pull yourself away from.  I found myself completely engaged, and absolutely recommend the game to anyone who enjoys a good narrative.  Quick reflexes are not required!

Shady Part of Me O9fj

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 pm