Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing!

Esme
    Esme

These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing! Empty These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing!

Post by Esme Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:10 pm

As some of you may have noticed, I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for new recipes that use proteins like quinoa, beans, and other alternatives to meat. I'm not a vegetarian; I'm a 46 year old woman who needed to get healthier. A LOT healthier.  Rolling Eyes  I also like things that are easy, but sort of familiar too. When I saw this recipe, I knew I would be making it soon! 

I found the recipe at: Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

Here is the recipe. My tweaks will be in red as usual. 

3 big *Russet potatoes, sliced into 1/3-inch to 1/2-inch thick rounds (I used 2 because there are just two of us)
    2 tablespoons olive oil, divided (I didn't need this because I just cooked the onions in the bacon pan)
    sea salt and fresh black pepper
    3 slices bacon (I used 5 because... bacon. Though if you want to make this veggie, you don't need the bacon at all)

Topping:
    2 tablespoons diced onion
    1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup corn
    1/2 cup Ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder (use whatever amount makes your family happy)
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I didn't need that much because I only used 2 potatoes) 

sour cream, for serving
    chopped green onions, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 2 medium-sized baking sheets with olive oil and lay the potatoes out in a single layer.
    2. Brush the tops lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until fork tender 25 - 30 minutes.
    3. Line a small baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Lay out the bacon and bake about 10 minutes or until crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain and crumble when cooled.
    4. Meanwhile add a tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan set over medium-low heat. Add the onion, beans, corn, tomatoes and chili powder to the pan. 5, Cook, stirring often about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool.
    When the potatoes are fork tender remove from the oven and sprinkle the tops lightly with about half the cheese. Spoon the corn mixture over the tops and press them gently into the potatoes - the cheese will help hold them in place.
    6. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of each one followed by a sprinkle of bacon.
    7. Preheat the broiler with the oven rack in the center. Place the potatoes under it until the cheese melts and gets a little toasty about 5 minutes, check often.
    8. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions
    *Pick nice big round ones for this.

I just cooked the bacon in a skillet then took it out, poured off the bacon grease, and cooked my onions, beans, corn, and tomatoes in that skillet. I didn't need olive oil because of the residual bacon grease. 

I also just mixed the bacon back in with the beans at the end rather than doing individual sprinkles over the potatoes. It saved me a step and I'm lazy that way. 

I only used about half my bean mixture for two potatoes. Maybe my potatoes were too small? I will just freeze the bean mixture and then when I make these again, I just need to bake the potato slices and warm up the beans!

These were really, really good. You could use them for appetizers or snacks for watching football games if your family likes that sort of thing. I just used them for a light, but really tasty dinner. 

The picture on the website is better lit and styled than mine, but you get the idea from this I hope.

These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing! Taters10
    djrum
    djrum

These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing! Empty Re: These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing!

Post by djrum Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Looks yummy, Esme! And it doesn't sound all that difficult to make!!
    Esme
    Esme

These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing! Empty Re: These Need a Better Name Than "Southwestern Topped Potato Rounds" Because They Just May Be Life-Changing!

Post by Esme Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I thought they were great. My hubs thought that the topping would be better in a burrito or quesadilla.

Men. *sigh*

The potato rounds are awesome!
    orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Hey there, Esme:

These look GREAT !!!  Yummmmmmm Evil Grin

But you mentioned that you were looking for a way to eat healthier.  Here is a weird little thing that I do  ..

those little potatoes are bite sized

cook up a pot full and then >>>> can eat a few with butter and salt and pepper because sooooooo good hot .

then let the rest cool

are yummy as a treat (as if were hard boiled eggs) but no need to add a thing

I leave skins on as washed them before cooking but are a perfect little snack

AND added benefit >>> contain a natural tranquilizer which have a lovely calming effect .....

QUESO FRIJOL PATATA  >>>>> is this a good name ???
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:56 pm

I think part of the reason I liked them so much, orphaned, is that I haven't really had potatoes in over a year! I've stayed away from carbs, but fell off the wagon and into a plateful of these.  Whistle

I have always loved boiled/steamed potatoes though. Your snack sounds delish to me!  ThanksMeal

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:48 pm