Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Phenomenon 3: Outcome

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Phenomenon 3: Outcome Empty Phenomenon 3: Outcome

Post by JustTheFacts Sat May 03, 2014 4:38 am

Phenomenon: Outcome
    by Puzzle Lab - May, 2014

Series links: Phenomenon 1: City of Cyan, Phenomenon 2: Meteorite, Phenomenon 3: Outcome

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Phenomenon 3: Outcome Phenomenon-outcome-ce_feature

Save the world from an alien substance in Phenomenon: Outcome! When a medallion you've had your whole life suddenly starts acting strange, you follow its trail to a mysterious island. There, you discover a deadly Cyan Plasma that threatens not only the island, but the entire world! You must seek out a missing research team to uncover the secrets of the plasma before it spreads across the globe. But time is running out... Can you find their base before it's too late? The power is in your hands in this thrilling Hidden Object Adventure game!

The Collector's Edition includes:

• Lead a daring evacuation in the bonus game
    • Gorgeous wallpapers and concept art
    • Music tracks from the game
    • Available Strategy Guide

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Phenomenon 3: Outcome Th_screen1_Phenomenon 3: Outcome Th_screen2_Phenomenon 3: Outcome Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Phenomenon 3: Outcome Empty Re: Phenomenon 3: Outcome

Post by JustTheFacts Sat May 03, 2014 4:40 am

Still, The Story Disorients Me! ****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    I thought, after the disappointing story treatment in the 2nd of this series, Meteorite, that at least this (presumably final) game would explain all. So far, I’m just more confused.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    Excellent graphics. The cut scenes are particularly good. The intro is laid back because it is telling you the back story rather than introducing this game (and there’s confusion in there right away – who are we playing?), but it looks great and the voiceover of the narrator is one of the most natural I’ve ever heard. The characters are drawn spectacularly well. Really impressive.

Later into the game, the graininess of much of the textures – an artistic choice, not poor definition – makes what could be gorgeous become ugly in my eyes. But, HOP scenes are clear and very detailed. Although, some of the items are a bit small, and others are out of perspective. Music is light and pleasant, ambient sounds so far, very pretty. The other characters’ voices are all good too, and lip synched. One weird thing. This is first person, so we see out of the eyes of the protagonist, yet in a conversation with other characters, we can see ourselves.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    Well, I don’t know if being familiar with the previous games is a help or a hindrance in this one, because I’m not getting it very clearly. In the first game, we played Monica, whose parents left her at age 5, along with an ancient pendant, on the mainland while her mother, Eve, conducted a dangerous experiment that involved a strange substance – cyan plasma. Twenty years later, she is persuaded to visit the abandoned city where her parents apparently died. She meets a stranger who ‘explains’ the situation to her.

In the second we play Daniel, whose parents dropped him at age 5 on a friend’s doorstep, with a note and map, and he too was induced to return to the island at age 25, where he meets a small girl, Gloria, who ‘explains’ a totally different backstory that involves cyan plasma. Finally, in this story we play Sasha, whose parents were hit by lightning when she was, you guessed it 5, and again, she had one thing from her parents. A golden homunculus (a kind of cross between a compass and a human figure). Twenty years later, she starts having nightmares about terrifying blue ‘stuff’ and follows the directions of the homunculus to a ‘restricted zone’ contaminated by cyan plasma. There she meets Daniel.

So, are the stories connected or not, apart from the big bad blue, cyan plasma? And this really annoys me. We have been given no explanation for our nightmare, so how do we know what Daniel is talking about when he mentions cyan plasma? And how do we know to ask about “a disease that covers skin in a blue net”? That isn’t what we see in our dream! Argh!

GAMEPLAY
    The emphasis in this game is on the quest side of things, and although there are both HOPs and other mini-games, it is mostly about getting around and finding what you need to help you on your way. “Quest Items” are actually one of the achievements. Unfortunately, I don’t know the difference between a quest item and any other item needed for inventory. There is a well-drawn, though boring, interactive jump map that highlights active zones, a directional hint, a fun to look at journal that keeps a detailed record of the story and replayable videos, and a task list. All the better for you to be upon your way.

You also have the homunculus, which protects you from the big bad blue, but needs to be recharged after each use. It clears the way for a HOP scene. These are new and different, although similar to the HOPs in this series. Once the mist has cleared, the homunculus detects activity, and presents you with an interactive word list of items in the scene. There is also a blue ‘hot spot’. Clicking on it will take you a different time but the same place (same scene, just looks different), and there you will find a totally different list. Both must be finished to get your inventory piece.

There are few puzzles/mini-games, and I found the ones in the demo easy.

CE BLING!
    Achievements, as mentioned. There are performance based, and while there is only 7 of them, they are graded with different levels, and are not all the usual ones. There are 35 collectible blue canisters. Easily recognisable, but not always easy to see.

The gallery items include (good) wallpapers (9), concept art (9), and music (5). The SG shows 5 chapters plus the bonus. The demo covered all of one and most of chapter 2, at best guess.

COMBINED IMPACT
    If it wasn’t for the story confusion, this game would almost certainly get a 5 from me. I love the characters, they are just beautiful. I love that there is not so much emphasis on puzzles, because they’re my weak spot. But I’m doing it all in such confusion, it takes a lot of the fun out of it. For those like me who are looking for a story-driven game that looks good and isn’t too, too difficult, this game will present a conundrum. (Well, you gotta admit it sounds like it belongs in an article with homunculus in it!  Snicker )

I recommend this game!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat May 03, 2014 6:49 am

I remember liking the first one-a lot.   The second one just didn't grab me at all.   I was hoping
    #1 would be explained more.
    So,    no Monica in this one?   Maybe I will get around to trying it,   eventually.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat May 03, 2014 7:00 am

Yup, that's about the size of it. No Monica, no little Gloria, just Daniel. Still looking for his mother doing research. But it was actually Monica who was looking for her mother who was the scientist....

See what I mean?
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Sun May 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I felt the same way.  I was sooo confused.  I was thinking, ok, if this is a sequel, where ARE these people?  I didn't care for the first 2.  This one was better.  Maybe I may purchase the SE and play through the whole thing and learn the real Cyan truth.  Or, there's a real good chance I still may be very confused.   Huh?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:21 pm