Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Empty Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera

Post by genkicoll Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera
    by Vast Studios

Series links: Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera, Nightfall Mysteries 2: Asylum Conspiracy, Nightfall Mysteries 3: Black Heart, Nightfall Mysteries 4: Haunted by the Past

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC and MAC
    iWin

Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Nightfall-mysteries-curse-of-the-opera_feature

Take on the role of a lowly stagehand in an opera company  tasked with solving a deadly mystery! The Opera troupe is invited by the  reclusive Count Vladd Vansig III to his small hamlet to perform a  special Opera for him.  Strangely, there are no villagers to speak of  except for the Count and his caretaker. Over the course of the night,  people go missing and are killed! Use your Hidden Object skills to find  out the identity of the killer and escape the village alive in Nightfall  Mysteries – Curse of the Opera!

• Spooky atmosphere
    • Dangerous mystery
    • Solve the case!

Click images to enlarge
    Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Th_screen1  Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Th_screen2  Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Empty Re: Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 pm

It was a daaaark and stormy night...

Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera is an IHOG very reminiscent of Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate (although Madame Fate is a straight HOG). This game is heavy on the hidden object scenes, but you have the freedom to wander to and fro as you wish. The game makes it easily evident where you're supposed to go next via the use of both a journal and a notepad that has both your objectives listed and a map you can use to get your bearings. The map does not allow quick transport, but it will show you where the points of interest are. One thing I really like about the game is the ability to go where you like - you're not "locked in" to going to one certain place right at that moment. If you want to explore, you can! I appreciate that we can revisit finished hidden object scenes, too, which many games don't let you do. There is a lot of back and forth, but that does not bother me a bit - it's the hallmark of an adventure game, after all! :D

I mentioned that this game reminds me of Madame Fate. This is because of the style of characters and because you have two kinds of hidden object scenes to do: The usual find the items on a list play and the find x-number of items on the scene play - There are a lot of find x-number of items, so if you like those, you're in for a treat. There are also door puzzles scattered about, though these don't seem as diabolical as the puzzles in MF. In other words, I was able to figure them out without having to resort to the walkthrough! Big smile Time consuming, but interesting and doable. There is a SKIP button if you do not wish to do the puzzles.

Hints fill very quickly. The graphics are appropriately spooky, but not dreary. The cast of characters are all voiced, though you have the option to turn off the voice-overs if you wish. Nice, long game with an interesting story to keep you wondering, "What's going to happen next??" The music is repetitive, so I turned it down. Sound effects just right.

I think that anyone who likes IHOGs and enjoyed Madame Fate should try this game. Two thumbs up

Now, I'm part-way through chapter 4, so if you'll excuse me, I have a game to finish! Sunny
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera Empty Re: Nightfall Mysteries 1: Curse of the Opera

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:38 am

Good Relaxing Game For HO Fans ****

If you're not so much into the adventure side of HOPA games but like some meaning to what you're searching for, this is an excellent game for you.

The story is loose and not meant to be believable and, really, just for fun. The ending, unlike what other reviewers have said, didn't seem too off-the-wall to me - but then how many games have stories that are believable and endings that make total sense? I haven't seen one after playing a couple of hundred of these HOPAs. The games are fantasy, or we wouldn't play them.

At first it seemed a little difficult but past the first location, the game holds your hand throughout. Excellent map plus a journal plus a notebook for clues means you're never stranded wondering what to do or where to go. There are oodles of HO scenes and even HO scenes within others, and the hint button recharges quickly.

The graphics show up a tiny bit fuzzy on my extra wide large monitor, but nowhere enough to create a problem. The scenes are colourful for the most part, and though occasionally objects are on the small side, they're all findable. The scenes are static - a little animation would have improved the feel of the game.

Music is pleasant and unobtrusive.

The puzzles were quite unusual and the skip is a long time coming, but again nothing to write this game off for.

I loved being anything other than a detective or hysterical relative.

The characters you meet are all funny and melodramatic and that's the fun of it. The voice overs are ham actors, just as it should be in an opera company being killed off one by one. Methods of dying are tongue in cheek as well.

While not awe inspiring, this is a solid game, very relaxing, great for the times you don't feel like thinking too hard. The sequel is also a great way to relax and is a continuation of the story, in an entirely different atmosphere.

I recommend this game!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:56 am