Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Windows 7 Display Issue Workaround

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Windows 7 Display Issue Workaround Empty Windows 7 Display Issue Workaround

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:55 am

OK, this isn't a tutorial on how to use the Forum itself, so it doesn't exactly belong in this section, but it is a computer tutorial, and since it will be easier to find here than elsewhere, here it will be~! Big smile

The situation:

On my true adventure games, I'm getting most of the image cut off, with only the left side of the graphics showing.  This first happened when I tried to play The Whispered World.  I tried changing my resolution, but that did nothing, so I set the game aside to play later.
    Last night I installed and tried to play NiBiRu, and the same thing happened!  Gah!   I then realized it was only the true adventures this was happening with.  Well, I just couldn't accept that!  RAAAAAH!  Let's go experiment!

My computer:

I have Windows 7 on this computer, and a widescreen monitor with my desktop resolution set to 1920x1080.

After once again checking that it wasn't the desktop resolution, here's what I found:

Because everything is just toooo hard to see (for me) at my 1920x1080 resolution, I had made a setting to make things look bigger.  This was the problem.

The fix:
    (She's finally getting to the fix!  About time! rollingpin   )

Right-click on your desktop, then choose Personalize.

Look at the left side of the pop-up towards the bottom and click on Display.

On the right side of the pop-up, you'll see three options:  Smaller - 100%, Medium - 125%, and Larger (my setting) - 150%

Switching to Smaller or Medium allows the games to display properly when I play them.

Oh no, a new problem! The Scream

All of the shortcuts on my desktop have moved, and they're a different size, now!

*shrugs*  Dem's da breaks.  It's the only way to get my games to display properly.  Once I'm done playing, I'll switch back to the Larger setting, and put my icons back where they belong.

Windows 7 Display Issue Workaround O9fj
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Windows 7 Display Issue Workaround Empty Re: Windows 7 Display Issue Workaround

Post by luvtoread Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:55 pm

The last two Adventure games I tried to play....well, I couldn't.

I have a laptop Win 7  resolution 1366 x 768.   The only problems I had playing adventure
    games was a couple of older ones.   Never did figure out how to make them work.   Huh?

Last edited by luvtoread on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:00 am

I have a Win 7 laptop, also. My resolution is the same, 1366 x 768. I've tried to set it lower, but I get warning that I'd better not or my computer may screw up.

The only problem...some games won't play wide-screen. I get huge black borders on the sides.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:24 pm

I've found that Win 7 is really bitchy about some things Gah!

If you play with the way your wallpaper fits the screen, it will also affect how your games display >_<

At the bottom of the window where you choose your wallpaper, there's a drop-down box labled "Picture Position"

Try changing this around (Fill, Fit, Stretch, and Center) to see if your games will display without the black bars.  It's worked for me Smile

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:01 pm

(Fill, Fit, Stretch, and Center) Sounds like an exercise workout Snicker 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Whee~!  You're right! Belly laugh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm