Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Spooky Bonus

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Spooky Bonus Empty Spooky Bonus

Post by genkicoll Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 am

Spooky Bonus
    by Grey Alien Games - Oct. 2013

Series links: Spring Bonus, Spooky Bonus, Holiday Bonus Gold

Available at:
    Grey Alien Games
    Alawar
    Big Fish
    GameHouse
    iWin
    Steam

Spooky Bonus Fea_wide_2

Uncover dark forces emanating from the heart of Old Town, and grab spooky accessories for your front yard makeover, too! You’ll be spellbound by this adorably ghoulish horror-themed puzzle game.

Match shapes to stamp out evil and advance through Old Town, gathering gold and powerups as you go. Shop for yard decorations that boost your gameplay. Unleash exploding pumpkins, silver crosses, holy water, and more.

The time has come to unlock the sinister secret of Spooky Bonus. A blood curdling adventure awaits you!

Features:
    -Smooth, enjoyable match-3 gameplay
    -Decorate your house and yard with spooky ornaments
    -Relaxed or Timed game modes
    -Gloriously ghoulish graphics
    -Can set backgrounds as Desktop Wallpaper (PC only)
    -13 crazy bonus items from garlic bombs to silver bullets
    -Collect 6 multi-level powerup items
    -Play 100 unique levels
    -Specially-composed bloodcurdling music
    Spooky Bonus Screen1
    Spooky Bonus Screen2
    Spooky Bonus Screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Spooky Bonus Empty Re: Spooky Bonus

Post by genkicoll Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Spooky Bonus (Match-3)

Options include separate sliders for Music and Sound, Full Screen, Widescreen, Tips, and Custom Cursor.  The graphics look great in widescreen.

You can play timed or untimed, and if you enter the menu during gameplay, you can restart a level at any time.  You can't switch modes during a level, but there's a box you can check or uncheck between the levels.  Finishing before the timer -- which was very generous -- runs out gives you a score bonus, but does not affect how much money you have to spend.

Money is used to purchase new items to decorate your house with.  This isn't your regular decorating, though -- most everything you buy is going to earn you new types of bombs, so even if you're not interested in decorating, you have an extra incentive to do so.

The game starts out easily enough -- reach a goal, which is clearly listed on the left of the screen -- and you pass the level.  The gameplay becomes more and more complex as you progress, but not to the point that it becomes stressful (remember that I prefer to play these on timed mode.)  Eventually you will have four goals to meet before you finish the level.

You can continue to make matches whilst pieces are still falling, which is always nice.

The graphics are a lot of fun, with nicely-sized items (not too big or too small,) and great backgrounds.  One of my favorite features of the game is that at the end of every level, you are given an option to make the background image your wallpaper.  I just kept playing and playing, wanting to see what the next wallpaper was going to look like!  Just one more level, just one more level... Big smile  You can also make your house (you know, the one you're decorating) your wallpaper by clicking on the paint roller at the bottom left of the screen.

There are 19 Steam achievements.

All in all, this is a fun holiday offering, and one I happily purchased as soon as I finished my demo.

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:25 am

From the text file you get when you buy directly from Grey Alien Games (the developer.)

General

• The game screen starts with a grid of different items.
    • You can swap two adjacent items by clicking on one and then another (the destination item).  Alternatively, you can click and drag an item to its destination. However, the swap must result in a match of three or more items in a row, vertically or horizontally, otherwise it is not a valid move.
    • Matching items will pop and the items above will fall down to fill in the gap.  Then new items will drop in from the top of the screen (or nearest gap)
    • Whenever a match occurs, any tiles underneath the items will be removed.
    • A bonus item will appear after you have made a match of 4 or more items. More powerful bonuses appear if you manage to match 5 items.  Also some levels start with bonus items already in place.
    • Levels have different goals: some require you to match a certain item, some require you to remove all gold tiles, some require you to collect golden skulls by dropping them off the bottom of the game grid, and some require you to break all the stone blocks by making matches next to them.
    • As you complete levels you will be able to decorate your house and yard with spooky ornaments that you either find or buy with gold. Every decoration has a direct effect on gameplay. You can get bonuses, multi-level powerups, and other useful effects.
    • Some items are trapped in cobwebs and cannot be moved.  You must line up other items to make a match with a trapped item to destroy the cobweb OR use a bonus item or powerup to destroy the cobweb.
    • If you get stuck, the game will automatically suggest a move after a short wait.
    • If no more valid moves are possible, the shapes will explode off the grid and you will be told “No More Moves”.  Then the level will be restarted and the time and score will be reset.
    • To use a bonus item, either double click it and it will activate immediately, or drag it vertically or horizontally to activate it in a better location.
    • Making matches with glowing shapes will release magic dust, which charges your powerups at the bottom of the screen.

Bonus Items

• Pumpkin Bomb: Explodes in a 3x3 grid.
    • Mega Pumpkin Bomb: Explodes in a 5x5 grid.
    • Small Flashlight: Explodes an entire row.
    • Huge Flashlight: Explodes 3 entire rows.
    • Silver Bullet: Explodes an entire column.
    • Triple Silver Bullet: Explodes 3 entire columns.
    • Silver Cross: Explodes a 5x5 cross.
    • Golden Cross: Explodes a huge cross.
    • Flaming Torches: Explodes a 5x5 diagonal cross.
    • Fireworks: Explodes a huge diagonal cross.
    • Holy Water: Explodes an 8-way 5x5 cross.
    • Mega Holy Water: Explodes a huge 8-way cross.
    • Mega Garlic Bomb: Explodes a huge 7x7 area.

Powerup Items

• Wooden Stake: Can be used to remove items and tiles from the grid. Has 3 levels.
    • Hammer: Can be used to remove stone blocks. Has 3 levels.
    • Broom: Can be used to remove cobwebs. Has 3 levels.
    • Lightning Scroll: Fires off random lightning that destroys whatever it touches. Has 3 levels.
    • Crystal Ball: Creates random bonuses on the grid. Has 3 levels.
    • Tarot Card: Shuffles all exposed items on the grid. Very useful.

Tips

• Try to drop bonuses into positions where they will be more effective.
    • If you need a bonus try to match 4 or more items and one will appear.
    • More powerful bonuses appear if you manage to match 5 items.
    • Remove silver tiles by matching over them to reveal gold tiles underneath.
    • Make matches next to stone blocks to crack and destroy them.
    • As you add more decorations to your house and yard you will gain more bonuses and multi-level powerups to use in the game!
    • Click coins and gold bags to collect as much gold as possible to buy decorations for your house and yard.
    • Matching glowing items will release magic dust that charges up your powerups at the bottom of the screen.
    • Make matches under golden skulls so that they fall off the grid.
    • Bonuses and powerups can also be used to drop golden skulls off the grid.
    • Make a match with an item trapped in a cobweb to release it.
    • Bonuses and powerups can be used to remove tiles as well as destroy stone blocks and cobwebs.
    • You can change from timed to relaxed mode on the map screen on a per-level basis.
    • When you complete a level you can set the background as your desktop wallpaper (PC only).
    • When you finish the game you can read a personal message from the game’s creator.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:37 am

Good Heavens Genki! Did you MAKE this game!! So much info - it must have taken you forever. I'm too  embarrassed to put my quick jottings down beside this!

Oops!

I see you didn't write it all, but had the good sense to post the manual. Well done! I miss manuals.

(PS. YOURS is an excellent review)
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Looks Great, Plays Well Too! ****

BASED ON DEMO

This is my reward for checking out a whole lot of spooky games in honour of Halloween. This one is the gem. A Match 3 game, its mechanics is very much the same as we’ve seen a dozen times before (more than a few dozen, actually), it’s the atmosphere that is such fun in this game.

The graphics are very cartoonish but also very nice to look at, creepiness and all. The objects in the boards are all beautifully drawn, there are loads of different ones, and great animations with some of the power ups.

The same goes with the music, nothing outa this world, but appropriately spooky. The sound effects are quite amusing.

This is one of those Match 3 games where almost every level brings you a Halloween decoration for your haunted house. And you can set the pic as your desktop wallpaper. I didn’t like the fact that you can’t pick and choose your objects or their location on your house.

I did like that you can choose timed or relaxed mode. There are different goals for each level, so you may have to get several different items to beat the level. For example, you need to collect all the gold plates beneath each image, as with most games. But you must also get, say, 4 Gold Skulls, and 30 regular skulls. It gives a bit more variety to an otherwise run of the mill Match 3 game.

I also like having you progress shown on a map, the way build games do it.

This one is my pick of the Halloween themed games for this year.

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Spooky Bonus (Match-3)
    Review updated in October, 2019 after playing Steam version

Still one of my all-time favorite Match-3's!

Options include separate sliders for Music and Sound, Custom Cursor, Show Tips and Full-Screen.  For me, it always started out in Windowed mode, so I just used the Alt-Enter shortcut to make it full-screen.

Choice of Timed or Relaxed Mode.  There is a box you can check/uncheck before entering each level if you decide you want to change it, but 1. The timer is very generous, and 2. You get a score bonus for finishing early when you're on Timed mode.  No extra gold, though!
    Spooky Bonus B8BE95E34AFC04A483AD84A3F447C1EF30A2BD30

Although the end of each level is the only time you'll be able to see your score, it is still handy for when you're competing against friends.

Gameplay:

This is the standard swap-to-match-3-or-more mechanic.  The game starts out easily enough -- reach a goal, which is clearly listed on the left of the screen -- and you pass the level.  The levels becomes more and more complex as you progress, but not to the point that it becomes stressful (even in timed mode.)  Eventually you will have four goals to meet before you can finish the level.

Gameplay feels smooth and you can continue to make matches whilst pieces are still falling.

On each level you will earn gold coins, which you'll use to decorate your house.  When you first start, matching more than 3 items doesn't do anything, but the items you buy for your house will give you new bonuses and power-ups. 

Bonus Items:

Once you purchase the appropriate decoration(s) for your house, you'll unlock matching bonuses.  For instance, if you match five of the same item, you'll get a flashlight on the playing field, which will clear an entire row when activated.  Later on you'll be able to upgrade that item and clear three rows with that flashlight!

Power-ups:

These are items that you find at the end of certain levels, and are for "sale" in your house area (they will cost you no gold).  Power-ups can be found at the bottom of the screen, and once used, can be re-charged by matching glowing items.

Sights and Sounds:

I love the artwork for this game.  The items, bombs and power-ups are all charming and fun, and every ten levels you get a new background which you can set as a wallpaper! 
    Spooky Bonus 7151AC84E15596EBAF50C0746CCA0537F6B1D44C

You can set your house (you know, the one you're decorating) as a wallpaper, as well.

The music is surprisingly-good, and the sound effects are well-suited to the environment.

Verdict:

Spooky Bonus offers 100 levels of well-designed fun.  There are also 19 easy-to-obtain Steam achievements (there's a way to get the timed/untimed bonus without replaying the whole thing), and Steam cards for those who like to craft.

A Halloween-season favorite to share with the whole family!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:28 pm