Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt Empty Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt

Post by genkicoll Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:48 am

Riddles of Fate: Wild Hunt
    by Elephant Games - September, 2013

Series linksRiddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt, Riddles of Fate 2: Into Oblivion, Riddles of Fate 3: Memento Mori

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt Riddles-of-fate-wild-hunt-ce_feature

Defeat a ghostly army in Riddles of Fate: Wild Hunt! You have been summoned to the town of Osville, where a legion of spirits controlled by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse roams the streets in search of one young girl. Only the mysterious prisoner in the tower knows how to save the city… But you’ll have to get to him first! Uncover the secrets of the Wild Hunt army, and learn the truth behind the prisoner’s ultimate betrayal in this mesmerizing Hidden Object Adventure game!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Unlock two bonus games!
    • Save the Princess and recover her soul!
    • Travel to the Realm of the Dead, and discover the secrets within!
    • Unravel the mystery of Osville, through Collectibles and extras!

For the Standard Edition

Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt Screen1Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt Screen2
    Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt Screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt Empty Re: Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 am

High Octane Excitement

Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny 

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Wow! I say that almost every time I see an Elephant Game, but each new game they produce seems better than the last (unbeatable) one. Just reading the story outline was enough to tell me this was my kind of game. Spooky, with legends, ghosts and beasts of the netherworld. This one’s got it all.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    If you are a fan of Elephant Games, you know all you need to about the quality of the art. For you who don’t know them, their particular talent is “Game As Spectacle”. Everything is cutting edge breathtaking, imaginative and beautiful. The detail is wonderful and the clarity is exceptional. The soundtrack complement the visuals, with excellent voiceovers (although not lip synced, the faces stay immobile) and some super sound effects and background noise. There are incredible ghosts coming at us from all directions at unexpected moments, and the entire experience is high-impact.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    What’s happening is a bit confusing, actually, I became so much engrossed in the game, I wasn’t paying sufficient attention. We come when we receive a cry for help from one of the townsfolk where ghosts have taken over, and are being marshalled together by the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse. I think that’s it. We find help from a cute little bat, and later, a cute guy. And the 3 of us attempt to take back the town.

MAKING PROGRESS
    This is delightful adventure gameplay, focussed on excitement, there is much to do in every location and plenty of interesting challenges. The HOPs are interactive lists, in which the items are visible and clear. The puzzles are mostly new and easy. To compensate for the experts, there may be up to 3 easy puzzles required to open the lock (or whatever). The hint is a genuine hint and gives very clear suggestions. The map is an interactive jump map. The balance is towards HOPs, but not so many as to spoil the game.

BLING!
    CE extras are gallery items, achievements and collectibles (accessible within the game – in the crystal ball), SG, bonus chapter and a ‘secret room’. The last secret room I played was a wonderfully new way of playing ... Nup, I’m not telling, but good fun.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
    I end where I began, WOW! This game is stupendous.

I recommend this game!

Last edited by JustTheFacts on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:12 am

I could only play the first scene before I got problems.  After entering the town the cursor went wild.  I disabled the custom cursor, but any movements were in slow motion.  Opening the SG (to see just where I was to use the bucket of water, since using it where I was supposed to just told me that was wrong) was a chore, it too opened in slow motion.  Trying to get the cursor to move to the menu option was impossible, I had to close it a different way.

I wasn't as impressed as you by the quality.  I believe Elephant has done some much better games, and are capable of much better than this one. It didn't look any different from any of the "big" developer's games.  Ordinary with a capital O, from the graphics, colors, HOS... all of it.  
    And the story?  Just a twist on the ol' "baby born to rule mankind, kill all the babies in the city to make sure you get him."  Haven't we all heard that one before?!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:31 am

I'm not as enthralled with EG as I once was (loved The Void and Raincliff for instance). It seems in some ways they've gone a similarly overproduced route as ERS, but I'd be willing to demo this new one and give it a try. Unfortunately, however, this phrase from JustTheFacts' review stuck out:
    We find help from a cute little bat
    Oh no, not a &%$@# cutesy animal helper again?!? Gah!  <sigh>
    The inclusion of such irritatingly childish (to me) features squarely aims the game at a women-only market. If I want macabre, dark, suspenseful, eerie I DON'T want softening up with little "Hello Kitty" touches, especially not the dress-up ones (they're the WORST).

There, I said my piece. Smile
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 am

Yes, I've come to realise that one of the most useful purposes my reviews can have for my readers is to WARN them with "cute alerts" - so I try most conscientiously to never forget to mention them.

I love beautiful and imaginative - and it just doesn't matter to me whether the subject is cute, or dark and scary, even dingy. Just love the creativity that goes into it.

Mind you, I have 'cute' days and 'give me anything but cute - I'll take ugly' days too.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 am

JustTheFacts wrote:I love beautiful and imaginative - and it just doesn't matter to me whether the subject is cute, or dark and scary, even dingy. Just love the creativity that goes into it.
    I agree and believe me I have some light and airy games in my library too... even some cute ones, lol.Mouse with Cheese 
    I just don't like mixing cute with dark/macabre/serious (even the tongue-in-cheek stuff) and I'm sorry that for many developers this is the new 'normal'.

Btw JustTheFacts THANK YOU for all the reviews you've been posting. I really appreciate your taking the time and trouble.   Okay
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 am

I must be the only one who enjoys most of the little helpers. I think the only one I didn't like too much was a chicken or something. Embarrassed
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 am

I like them too, esme, but too many in a row spoils the fun - and i'm also crazy about spooky stuff. I like the critter in Witches' Legacy 2 the most I think, a little imp, cute but also a bit cheeky.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt (IHOG)

The hunt for the Child of Fate has begun.

Options include four separate sliders for sounds, a Brightness slider and buttons for Special Effects, Full-screen, Widescreen and Custom Cursor.  Choice of Casual, Advanced or Hardcore Mode, which can be changed at any time.

Story:

The Horsemen of the Apocalypse have sent their ghostly legion to ravage the city of Osville in search of the Child of Fate.  A citizen has implored you to come and investigate, in hopes that you can also save her sister and mother. Only one man has the knowledge to defeat these spirits, but first you'll have to free him from where he has been jailed.
    Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt 8850969B9C944E30B6D3E30D7C690EFE9EBECD2E

Besides cutscenes, the story progresses through the many notes that we find as we explore.  We don't have a Journal, but there is a task list available.

Gameplay:

Be on the lookout for collectible, ghostly statues.  You can access these through the Crystal Ball in your toolbar, and when you've collected a set, a glowing sphere will appear and give you a bit of extra story to read through.

We soon meet a helpful bat, who will stay in our inventory for most of the game, and whose comical voice and presence seems unsuited to the story at hand.

Our insta-transport MAP can be interactive, but they show every location with Objectives that are unmet, whether you have the ability to complete that objective or not.  Using a HINT will not give you a direction to go, but it will pop up a text box that tells you what you should do next.

Hidden Object Scenes are the standard lists with a few interactive items per scene.  The Mini-games were sometimes fun, but oft-times felt tedious.
    Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt B581854110D6566B674C55CD0004312A73CE1EDD

This is one of those games where you see things that you know you'll need, but you won't find the means to collect them 'til later on.  This happens over and over again throughout the game, meaning that you're going to be doing a lot of backtracking.

Someone on the production team is obviously a Harry Potter fan, as they utilized not one, but three of JK's ideas in the game:  The "vortex of memories" (a pensieve, which is used as a major plot vehicle), a "rattling willow", and... something else which I forgot to write down. lol~ Laugh

I have to say that I was super-irritated whilst playing this game due to the rampant "game logic".  For instance, I JUST had a dagger in my hands, why in the world is it gone now, leaving me to use broken glass to cut things??

Sights and Sounds:

This game has the number one WORST voiceover I've ever heard in a game.  It was one of the four horsemen, who was trying way too hard to sound notable, but ended up being nothing short of awful.  I've already mentioned that the cutesy bat's voice seemed out-of-place, and the person doing the prisoner's voice sounded like he was trying to do an impression of Batman.  The rest of the voices were okay-ish.

Graphically there were too many details warring with one another, making the scenery feel cluttered and uncomfortable for me.  Still, there were some scenes that I enjoyed, and I really liked the character design.
    Riddles of Fate 1: Wild Hunt A13B7AEC16D2C968B2EDAF3B71B333873A5F827F

CE Content:

• Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Bonus Chapter
    • 15 Collectible Statues
    • In-game Achievements
    • 8 Wallpapers
    • 8 Concept Art
    • Screen Saver
    • 4 Music Tracks (can be saved)
    • Secret Room

Bonus Chapter:

Where to begin?  The storyline is very confusing if you've paid any attention to it at all, not the least of which is the use of the name "The Bone Queen"... She has absolutely no relation to the Bone King whom we learn about in the main game.  You don't even learn that they're not related until you've collected the last three statues (in the bonus) and look at the info in your crystal ball!

On the plus side, the story ended the way I thought it should, but on the down side, we once again have backtracking-for-items to deal with.

Secret Room:

There's a mini-storyline involved in this series of 7 doors.  Each doorway contains one mini-game and one HOS that you can replay, and you will end up with the item needed to unlock the next door.  When you complete the final area, you get just a tidbit of extra story, which is something I was happy that they addressed.

Verdict:

My irritation with the game logic, coupled with my dislike for the graphics made it less enjoyable than it should have been, but the story kept me playing.  I think that this is a well-made game that most people would really like, so I will give it my recommendation... Just maybe not for those like myself who are overly-logic-oriented. ;)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm