Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Monster (book review)

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Monster (book review) Empty Monster (book review)

Post by genkicoll Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm

Monster - wiki page here
    by Frank E Peretti - 2005

Short description from Wikipedia:

Monster is a novel written in 2005 by Frank E. Peretti. It tells a story of a horrifying predator who terrorizes the woods of northern Idaho. The story deals with views on evolution, beneficial mutation, and natural selection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a book that appeared at my house - I have no idea where it came from. Being in the mood for a good suspense-horror, I started reading, and upon finishing the second paragraph, my first thought was, "He (the author) is trying way too hard." I showed the book to my father and asked him to read those paragraphs and tell me what he thought. He started laughing saying, "It's like one of those bad-writing competitions!" I tried again with a friend, and she said, "I like his writing style. I can really see what he's describing." Huh! So, let it be known that this is my personal impression from reading the book.

I am surprised to see that this is described as a Christian book. While God is mentioned, there is nothing in-your-face, religion-wise. I think that ANYONE would be mentioning God in these particular situations.

I would say that Mr. Peretti is a fairly good writer, but that's about it. The story, however, is very good. He obviously did some research to get the facts down for this book, and there were some plot twists that I definitely didn't expect (always a good thing!)

The problem is that I could never fully immerse myself in the environment. A truly talented writer will transport you into the world they've crafted, but I had trouble paying attention whilst I was reading Monster. As a matter of fact, I took a break and read another book before coming back to this one... and didn't lose a thing in doing so.

The story itself is quite good, and it was worth finishing the book just to see where it went. There's one point towards the end that I particularly enjoyed, but I won't ruin it here Monster (book review) 2981382511

I would love to see this story redone by Dean Koontz - that would be an OUTSTANDING book! As it is, it's an OK book with a good story, worth reading once.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:40 am