Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Empty Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose
    by Blue Tea Games

Series links: Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose, Dark Parables 2: The Exiled Prince, Dark Parables 3: Rise of the Snow Queen, Dark Parables 4: The Red Riding Hood Sisters, Dark Parables 5: The Final Cinderella, Dark Parables 6: Jack and the Sky Kingdom, Dark Parables 7: Ballad of Rapunzel, Dark Parables 8: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide, Dark Parables 9: Queen of Sands

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition  

GameHouse (SE)
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Dark-parables-curse-of-the-briar-rose_feature

Help a detective explore a rampant briar growth in Scotland, and discover the true tale of the real Sleeping Beauty!

1000 years ago, Sleeping Beauty was kissed by a prince, which  removed a terrible curse from the kingdom. The rampant briars were held  at bay, but the poor princess was left in her slumber. Follow a modern  day detective as he travels to Edinburgh, Scotland, and attempts to end  the curse once and for all in Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose. Dive into this eerie Hidden Object Adventure game and save Sleeping Beauty today!

The Collector’s Edition includes:                                                  

• Exclusive advanced levels for extra gameplay
    • Interactive Strategy Guide
    • Animated screensaver and wallpapers
    • 3 Briar Rose Novels

For the Standard Edition:

Click images to enlarge
    Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Th_screen1_Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Th_screen2_Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 8 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Empty Re: Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose (Adventure/FROG)

Options are separate sliders for Music and Sound, and Full-screen or Windowed.

Curse of the Briar Rose is a beautifully-crafted adventure game  with Fragmented Object Scenes, which will add new items to your  inventory.

I will say right up front that I generally do not enjoy finding  fragmented object scenes as much as finding hidden (whole) objects.  It seems to me that FROGs have less of a challenge, as you just *click,  click, click* on anything that seems out of place, and voila, you're  done.

Briar Rose's fragmented object scenes aren't terribly different,  but some of the pieces are so well hidden that they are well nigh (but  not entirely!) impossible to find without a hint.  This is actually  good, as it makes you actually focus on the scene.  Some of the pieces  you're supposed to be finding will be different colors than what is  pictured below, but this is realistic.  Items do take on the reflected colors of the scenery around them, so that works out very well.

Like any good adventure game, there is a lot of back and forth in  this game, but they added a shortcut later in the games that will help  you get around with less fuss - a nice touch! Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose 10  

The graphics are beautiful, reminiscent of Echoes of the Past: Royal House of Stone.

EVERYTHING you see and every inventory item you collect is pertinent to the story. There are no misplaced or out-of-time items that I saw.  

The music is fair and non-invasive, though I did need to turn down  the sound effects.  Luckily, music and SFX are adjustable separately, so  that wasn't a problem!

The story was interesting, and unlike so many recent games, did not  end on a cliffhanger.  It does set you up for a sequel, yet does not  leave you hanging.

Overall, an excellent adventure game - even if you're not a big fan of FROGs Wink

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose Empty Re: Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose

Post by genkicoll Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Review by Cordia, Nov. 2, 2010 wrote:
    The developers for Curse of Briar Rose is the team at Blue Tea Games.  You might also know them from:  Forgotten Riddles: The Mayan Princess/Moonlight Sonatas, Forgotten Lands: First Colony,  and Enlightenus, among others.

Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose is a Fragmented Object Game with, as you may have gathered from the title, a new look at the Briar Rose fairy tale. It probably took me about 5 or 6 hours to complete, but your mileage may vary.  It was released earlier this year in February or March as a premium edition game. (I will come back and add the right date- must add CE to casual gaming terms)

The quality of the game is very high, and I do not just mean the production values.  This game is polished, from beginning to end.  I love the artwork in Blue Tea games, and they’ve only gotten better over time. They have inventive ideas for how to make their games distinctive, which you will recognize immediately if you have played Enlightenus or Forgotten Riddles.  They stand out because they fit into a popular genre, but still manage to be different.  Briar Rose may be my favorite Fragmented Object Game to date, largely because I find the puzzles so elegant.  There is no better way to describe my reaction to the recurring marble puzzles in Briar Rose than utter delight.

The story is very good and the end of the game manages to wrap up the major storyline while still leaving it open for a sequel, which I am eagerly anticipating.  I am not a fan of the “cliffhanger” ending in any format- It makes me feel like I am being bribed into buying the next part. I do not mind if some questions are added at the end to entice me to buy the next installment, it just feels cheap when everything is left unfinished.  I am happy to report that Briar Rose is designed and plotted so that I feel enticed and not bribed.

I know I have already mentioned the artwork, but I cannot get over how exquisitely detailed every scene is! The standard game has morphing objects to find in it, too, and I found them to be a fun side-quest. A morphing object is pretty much what it sounds like- it is animated to first project one image and slowly fades out and becomes something else.  The game refers to them as “cursed objects” and the motivation for finding them is supposed to be to recharge the hint more quickly, but honestly, I don’t know if I ever used them for that purpose. I just felt clever for spotting them in the first place!

As far as I can recall, the scenes were all appropriately arranged, and the fragments were integrated into the scenes beautifully.  In fact, they were often quite difficult to find, which seems to be a rarity in Fragmented Object style games.  It also qualifies as adventure-lite in my mind, since there are inventory items, puzzles, and wandering to and fro. I actually can’t think of anything negative to say about this game!

However, you probably won’t like it if:

• You have a deep dislike for the fragmented objects style. Even so, I would still strongly encourage you to at least play the demo hour of Curse of Briar Rose, because I think it might surprise some people.
    • You are afraid of spiders in games. There’s a section of the game that will send you off the deep end if this is the case.
    • You feel that magic is morally objectionable or something that is completely uninteresting to you.
    • You don’t like this sort of adventure-lite game, which allows you to walk from area to area throughout. Genkicoll has reminded me of a very good point, however:  As you progress through the game and more locations open up, you are given a way to move easily between the two major areas.  Thanks, Genki!

My bottom line (or Too long; Did not read): I love this game, and find the puzzles to be extremely elegant.  It was worth the price, and I am even considering the premium edition.  That’s pretty major, as I’ve never bought a premium casual game.  It had a solid length for me, good writing and phenomenal art. I think it would appeal to a pretty wide audience, too.

How did I do with this review? If you haven’t tried it, did it make you want to play it? If you’ve played it all the way through, was I accurate?  Did you like Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose? Why or why not? Is there anything you dislike about the format of my review?

Please remember that this is only my opinion about games.  The segment where I discuss the game’s quality is meant to be as objective as possible.  Sometimes a game is very well done but, for whatever reason, it simply does not resonate with me, so just because I don’t like a game or I don’t find the game play  or the game’s genre to be to my personal taste does not make it a bad game. I will try to express that sentiment where I think it’s applicable.  Thanks for reading! Next up… well, I haven’t decided quite yet.

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose O9fj
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:32 am

Hints At The Quality Games To Come  
    Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

There is much that is good about this game, but you must first become used to the poor graphics that are unavoidable for a game this old (released March 2010).

As well, you must enjoy fragmented HOs, because that is all this game offers, with a few puzzles tossed in.

Once your eyes have adjusted, you can appreciate:

• Interactive objectives feature which tells you which scenes require your attention
    • Pleasant ‘zen’ music
    • Morphing collectibles
    • And the challenge offered when you complete the game and it is automatically changed to hard mode and the promise of a secret room to be discovered.

I really like the story, the first in the Dark Parables series, where all their stories are treated this way.
    The Curse of Briar Rose is the ‘true’ story behind the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, and you are a fable detective enlisted to release Briar Rose and the castle from the curse.

This game is easy, apart from the visibility question, and therefore pretty short.

But if your eyesight can handle it, I think this is a fine game for the collection, and worthy of the spectacular games that follow in this series.

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose (FROG)
    (January, 2012 review updated in April, 2019 after playing Steam version)

ENORMOUS spider alert!

The Steam interface does not work with this game, but I had no trouble getting it to go full-screen.

Options are separate sliders for Music and Sound, and Full-screen or Windowed.  There IS an expert mode (no hints or skips available), but it does not unlock until you play through the game once.

The Dark Parables games are FRagmented Object Games (FROG's). For those not familiar with the genre, instead of finding items by list or silhouette, you need to find pieces of items, which will them form an in item that will go into your inventory.
    Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose 7E7A1256663B29AA8CB789E2E4DB1401A5DF2676

Dark Parables puts their own spin on the story of Sleeping Beauty, and it makes for an interesting game that holds up to this day.

EVERYTHING you see and every inventory item you collect is pertinent to the story. There are no misplaced or out-of-time items that I saw. 

I will say right up front that I generally do not enjoy this sub-genre as much as standard HOG's, but the Dark Parables games are an exception. Curse of the Briar Rose's fragmented object scenes are so masterfully-integrated into the artwork that they are challenging, but never frustrating to find.  Some of the pieces  you're supposed to be finding will be different colors than what is pictured in your to-find list, but this is realistic.  Items do take on the reflected colors of the scenery around them, and the artists took this into account beautifully.

You will examine some of the HO scenes up to three times, but it will look different each time you visit, and every time is just as interesting as the first.
    Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose 681A1FA3C707988AB61EAA30CF2249C742164823

HINTS are refillable during the HOS.  An interesting touch with the hints is that if you pick up an inventory item, then hit the hint button, it will show you where the item can be used.

Being one of the very early FROG's made - and the first game in this series - there is no map, no insta-transport, and indeed, no hints for the adventuring portion of the game... At least not what today's gamer would expect.  Instead of using a HINT, there is an Inspect button, which will bring up small pictures of the locations that you need to investigate.  Since there is a LOT of to-ing and fro-ing in the game, this is super-helpful!  Once you've done all of the FROG scenes for a chapter, the Inspect option will instead offer to give you an Objective Hint. Using this feature will give you a three minute penalty on your hints, and will show you a small picture representing what you need to do.

As mentioned above, there is a lot of back and forth in  his game, but they added a shortcut later in the game that will greatly-reduce how much ground you need to cover - a nice touch! 

Puzzles can be skipped, but there is a five minute hint penalty.  The puzzles themselves range from inventive (early on) to a marble puzzle that repeats a few times.

The combination of the music and the dark-but-beautiful graphics makes the game very immersive, despite being HO-heavy.

When you finish the main game, you will obtain a golden rose, that will 1. Allow you to play the game on Expert Mode, and 2. Give you access to a room that you couldn't get into on your first play-through.

CE Content:

• 20 Cursed (morphing) items, which will instantly refill your hint meter
    • Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Bonus Chapter
    • 5 Wallpapers
    • Screensaver
    • 7 Music tracks
    • Novels (three different interpretations of the story of Briar Rose)
    • Concept Art (three versions of five different scenes)
    • 20 Bonus (marble) puzzles

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose 5893D927BC1A0D967E44C37456644E695F612FE6
    The Bonus Chapter is about 30 minutes long, and needs to be completed in order to unlock the bonus content (except for the morphing items and strategy guide).  There is a repeating memory game that is EXTREMELY difficult during this bonus chapter.  I actually skipped them after the first time, as they were just too much for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting Curse of Briar Rose after all of these years, despite not being a fan of Fragmented Object Games.  The game is lovely and immersive, and I found that I really enjoyed all of the to-ing and fro-ing, just so that I could enjoy take in the environment.  Definitely recommended!

Dark Parables 1: Curse of Briar Rose O9fj
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:49 am

This game stole my heart the minute it came out and is still on my all-time favorites list. This series is still beautiful, but the early ones were something extra special.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 am