Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+16
Critteranne
jboliver1999
jessmom01
tesamoine
pippi
Butterflyshrimp
Frodo
RenaissanceMom
BloomingLilac
orphaned
luvtoread
kac
djrum
Esme
genkicoll
marianne
20 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Esme
    Esme

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 34 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by Esme Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm

luvtoread wrote:
    Esme wrote:
    JustTheFacts wrote:There's another Final Cut! Bloody hell, when will developers learn that sometimes its good to quit while you're ahead!? Dunno

Never.  Rolling Eyes

I hope to all the gaming gods that there is never another Haunted Halls and that Dr. Octonut
    who you keep having to save your dimwit bf/fiance/husband from.  (I refused to save him in the last
    game).
    How many more Puppet-whatevers are they going to keep putting out?  Rolling Eyes

You know, if we keep rescuing him he's never going to learn to take care of himself. It's doing him a favor to leave his dumb @$$ with Doctor Octogoober for a while. 

No more puppet shows. Ever.

The thing of it is, if they think we'll buy it, they'll keep making it. To truly mangle a metaphor they will keep milking the calf that lays the golden eggs... or something like that. Basically I wanted an excuse to use this guy. LOL  Cow-moo
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:58 pm

I really enjoyed the first Haunted Halls. I thought the storyline was good and the gameplay unique. After that, it went downhill. (IMO)

I enjoyed Puppetshows 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I still like the Dark Tales series (mainly because of Dupin), although I don't always get the CEs. The first and second Dark Tales remain my favorites.

With no really good D&E games being released, I noticed my game purchasing slowing down. I might buy 2 CEs a month, whereas before, it was both CEs per week.
    I like to support the developers so they'll keep making casual games, but sometimes, it's a chore to get through a game I'm not particularly liking. And it seemed to be happening more and more frequently.
    Now, I'm extremely picky when deciding on whether or not to buy a game and a number of things factor into that decision, also.
    With lesser-known developers, I will overlook language mistakes if I'm enjoying the game. I prefer a strong storyline and bling doesn't do a thing for me. I'm always on the lookout for a new developer.

Tech issues are another thing. If a game forum contains more tech issues than reviews, I certainly won't get the game right away, even if I didn't have any problems with the demo.
    I'll wait and see if the developers release an update.

And, I'm still behind on playing games I've bought. Big smile
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 am

I agree about the First HH.   But,  the ending just made me want to smack  "my beloved"  upside
    the head.    The second one....he completely forgets his sister has to be saved and just goes
    home.   (bonus game in the CE).
    jeanniemouse  (who I miss)  decided she had not suffered enough and bought the third.
    I believe she came to regret that.

I love the Dupin games,   though,  if memory serves me right,   I think the 1 and maybe 2 were
    scarier than the others. 

That is why I like diving into Adventure games,  get me away from these HO games for a
    bit.   I just get into them and they bring me joy  (and frustration!).

I wish I had a cow that lays golden eggs!!!  Cow-moo
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 pm

I miss Jeanniemouse too.  Cry

I also wish I had a cow that lays golden eggs too.... though all I have are two dogs who lay things that are much less appealing.  Yeah right

Not sure what to play next... Danse Macabre is in the lead.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:53 pm

We haven't heard from jeanniemouse in months. I hope all is well with her and her family.

Yeah, our "boyfriend" in HH sure is good-looking, but he's dumber than a rock.

For today's TGT (can't remember the name), the developer was in the BF forum. It kind of shocked me cause I haven't seen a developer in awhile. I demo'd the game and I remembered playing the beta. It's about a king, his daughter, her husband, a fairy helper, and a bad dude.
    It might be a good game, but I wasn't too impressed with the beta. The still shots of that prince were freakishly comical and the whole king/queen/princess/prince/kingdoms/fairies/pixies/elves storyline has been done to death (IMO).

I may change my mind later on if I have a soon-to-expire PCC.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:31 am

Are you talking about Queen's Quest-Tower of Conquest?   genki posted that as an SE with
    CE features.    Prince Henrik is good looking,   but when he opened his mouth and asked his
    beautiful Princess to go get his gem,   I just started laughing.    Just sounded so corny.
    I started playing it last night,   I also have a pcc to use.    I have several games sitting waiting
    to be played.   Add this one on to the list.

Is anybody checking out the moon eclipse this morning?     Its raining here
    this morning so might not be able to see much.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Yes, luvtoread, that is the game I was talking about. I couldn't think of the title.
    I think if a developer is going to use real people in a game, they need to animate them.

I did get Mystery Castle: The Mirror's Secret.

I didn't see the eclipse this morning...it was way too foggy here. I didn't see much of anything!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 am

I was sleeping when the moon was eclipsing -- thank goodness! G\'night!

As posted at GOG:
    Kattus wrote:They are doing adventure game based on H.P Lovecraft's Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/h-p-lovecrafts-the-case-of-charles-dexter-ward

Senscape, the team behind the acclaimed horror adventure games Scratches, Serena, and Asylum, has returned from nether gulfs of nightmare to bring you the first officially licensed game based on the legendary works of H. P. Lovecraft. This point-and-click adventure is a faithful and painstakingly researched adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Also, get Dragon Age: Origins for free here:  https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/dragon-age-1/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:54 pm

I am playing Queen's Quest-Tower of Darkness.   I must admit,  it is a challenging game.
    I stopped for now as I am stuck.
    It has the 3 circle color puzzle.   You have to get the blue on the left,  green on the
    right and red in the big circle in the middle,  which goes through the blue and left
    circle.   My brain refuses to let me get it so that there is not a stray green or
    blue wandering around in that red circle.   Stars

I tell you,  this game does not give our Princess much time and she is cutting it
    close with this whole sailing thing.

Anybody playing notice in what state she left Prince Hubby?     AAhh,,    true love.
    But,  must rescue the  gem first.
    This story line reminds me of Rumplestiltskin   (who is my favorite character in Once
    Upon a Time.....but I digress,  as usual).    I mean,   Evil Guy said Prince owed him.

As Rumple in Once Upon a Time says:  Magic comes with a Price.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Oh my gosh, an adventure game based on H.P. Lovecraft's Case of Charles Dexter Ward??? Wow!! And it's by Senscape...cool!!!
    Um..they should probably finish and release Asylum first since I've been waiting on it for like 4 years now. OH!

Or have they already released Asylum??? I wouldn't know since I'd totally forgotten about the game.

Aw, sorry luvtoread. I can't help you with the puzzle because I don't have the game, yet. But it sounds like a real PITA.

I haven't demo'd the TGT, League of Light 2. I was planning on doing it right now and then I glanced at the clock, gee whiz...it's late. I may wait and demo tomorrow sometime.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Nope, no Asylum. I just checked. Rolling Eyes
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:35 am

I read about the upcoming CDW  game.   The article said the same thing you said dj-
    Asylum is taking a long time to come.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:38 am

Here is a laugh for all of you:

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 34 10702128_896006500418341_5976218751391655864_n
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:44 am

HAHAHAHA - love it!!!  And it's true! Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 34 Yes
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:02 am

Belly laugh  That is awesome Elk grin

About Asylum, etc:
    Cheshire Cat (at Challengers) wrote:Great thing is that there is an early bird tier called SHOGGOTH (to stay in Lovecraftian spheres) that will get you the digital DRM free download for the game for as little as $15 Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 34 Smile And ofcourse a Steam key when the game is greenlit
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 am

I checked Senscape's FB page...no news on the release date of Asylum. So far, the only info I can gather is it's supposed to come out this year.
    The same thing the devs have been saying for the years 2012, 2013, and now.
    At this point, I'm not sure it'll ever see the light of day and I will forget about it, again.

I demo'd League of Light 2 and I kind of liked it. I will wait for this weekend to see how the other CE is (Paranormal Pursuit: The Gifted One) and hope for a good sale. Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Somebody tell me Danse Macabre gets better. Digging in the yard with the dog is not that exciting.  Sigh
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:08 pm

lol!! Oh no!  Huh? Now I have to try it!  Belly laugh

Thanks esme!  thankee

PS. I'm about ready to throw a party with the excitement of having played a HOPA all the way through - in one sitting! Haven't done it for months.

I played The Other Side - Tower of Souls, which is really an iHOG, but it is the principle. I played HOPs without even looking for the dragon eggs!  Crazy
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:00 am

So....I started playing Paranormal Pursuit.     Sigh

Please,   can someone explain  how the Washing Machine got filled up with water...of course
    there is something in there you need......yet,   the cord is not plugged in because it cannot
    reach the socket.   Rolling Eyes
    Also,  of course,   the situation is dire so you do not have a lot of time...cause we all
    know how quickly you can recharge a battery and drain the water... 
    Oh  and our intrepid investigator is making promises that I wonder how she will keep
    because she went and trapped herself.   Oops!

As you can tell,   so far not all that enthralled,  impressed  or caring.   Yawn
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:42 am

That sounds more than a bit silly, luvto... though, not the stupidest thing we've ever encountered in one of these games. LOL!

Danse Macabre does get a little better though it did take me a little while to get into the groove of this game. I had to laugh when the guy was
    Not really a spoiler, but better safe than sorry:
    'Cuz that's just how things happen in real life.  Rolling Eyes Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:26 pm

I finished Danse Macabre and was under-whelmed. It tried really hard,  but I just couldn't get too excited about it. Rolling Eyes
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:57 am

Aww....sorry about that.    Plus the fact that you could tell who the killer was right from
    the start made it a bit easy to figure out.    Well,   Madam Inspector and the French Inspector
     couldn't,  but, we could.

Did you play the Bonus?
    snapnhiss
    snapnhiss

Post by snapnhiss Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:08 am

I love the little scarecrow helper/companion in Thursday's CE and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I actually feel kind of down about finishing the game because I want to keep him.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:09 am

I have no problem at all with cute helpers!  ...Unless they're in a really dark, creepy setting where they're totally out of place!  Just think what a different game BoC: Dorian Gray Syndrome would have been if we had an uber-cute fluff ball helping us!  Ugh.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:24 am

I don't know, sometimes even creepy games can carry a cute helper. 

Remember Dollhouse Story? That was the creepiest game I'd played at that time, and still is one of the creepiest, and I spent most of game glancing at the voodoo doll, to make sure he wasn't double crossing me!  Suspect Belly laugh

was a tad suspicious of that Gingerbread guy in the Hansel and Gretel game Eipix put out too - can't remember the name.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.  Shock  Snicker

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 am