Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek Empty Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek

Post by genkicoll Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:55 am

Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek
    by Mad Head Games - June, 2014

Series links: Rite of Passage 1: The Perfect Show, Rite of Passage 2: Child of the Forest, Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek, Rite of Passage 4: The Lost Tides

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek Rite-of-passage-hide-and-seek-ce_feature

Twenty years ago, a group of children in the town of Greystone were taken by a mysterious fog while playing hide and seek, including your brother. Only you escaped… Your father went looking for your brother and never returned. Now you’ve found evidence that your father has been alive this entire time, still searching for the missing children. But why would he remain silent for so long? And why was he so determined to keep you away from Greystone? You immediately head out to find answers. But are you prepared for what awaits you in the mysterious fog? Find out in this creepy Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• A bonus game where you must help Angela find happiness.
    • Complete your own collectible scene!
    • Bonus mini-games and activities
    • An available Strategy Guide

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek Th_screen1_Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek Th_screen2_Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek Empty Re: Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:07 am

Another Top Ten Game!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    The 2nd Rites Of Passage game, “Child of the Forest” is on my top 10 ever list, and this one will be joining it, if this trial is a good guide. Once again, the developers have astonished me with more imaginative variations on both HOPs and mini-games. Add breathtaking art and an instantly involving story, and wow!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The intro scenes, both before and after the menu page, are excellently put together, and are immediately intriguing. The art is beautiful in every way, the acting is very good, the ambient sounds exceptional. The music is perfect, especially a delightfully delicate piano and wind instruments tune. In truth, it is difficult to describe how well these elements combine for such a charming atmosphere, not totally dark and scary, but foreboding and just a little eerie.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    Right from the beginning, there are unexpected twists in this story. Twenty years ago, playing hide and seek as a child, you were tricked into reading a curse and the entire group of children with you disappeared! Including your little brother. Your Dad was lost in the fog, presumed dead, trying to find him. You and your mother moved away and started a new life. Now, your mother has died, and you discover that your father is alive and still searching for your brother. Of course, you must go find him, even though it is clear, this whole fiction about him being dead is to keep you away from your old town.

Our home town, when we arrive, is in the grip of a strange dark fog, which torments the townspeople and leaves peculiar patches of ice where it’s been. We find our father after a bit of toing and froing, only to have him ripped from our grasp by a collapsing wall. I love that the ensuing combined HOP and mini-games so much resemble searching through rubble. Wonderful idea!

GAMEPLAY
    Again, using new puzzles and processes, combining the known with the very original, these developers create a wholly different style of HOP. They involve, variously, interactive word lists, matching pairs, mini-puzzles, coin slots, inventory + items and much more. The mini-games are various, again, many originals, and most were not too difficult for me. They are nicely imbedded in the game. There is an interactive jump map, showing active areas, although you have to work out for yourself what the symbols are for.

You also have a choice of responses in some of the interactions with other characters, and your choices affect your “karma”, and therefore the results of certain actions and the conclusion of the game. You can check on your karmic health in the journal. It also contains the story, codes etc., achievements and a game timer. There is also a task list. Hint is directional. There are 3 difficulty levels, and a customization option.

There are some special skills you can use as you progress. There is a scar on your hand from childhood, and now it starts glowing. You soon come to realise that you can use it to melt the strange ice left by the fog. Later, you can also use it to translate clues in an ancient spirit language. I don’t know if there’ll be others. The back story is told in different ways, for instance with a picture story-like puzzle that has you correctly placing misplaced objects. We have, at least temporarily, a cute and very cuddly companion, who brings surprising skills to the investigation.

CE BLING!
    Achievements for, both story and performance, number about 19, but there is also a score for the HOPs, for accuracy, time and I assume, non-use of hint. There are collectible hand prints (43), with an indicator in each location. Which you need to do the Handprint Hunt additional mini-game. Which in turn needs to be completed to play the Alchemist game. There are also morphing objects (43), in the HOP scenes. The gallery section includes the usual – in this case, very nicely done – music, wallpapers, movies, and character portraits (pieced together from items collected in the game). There are replayable HOPs and a separate additional called Forest Runner.

COMBINED IMPACT
    I loved it! These developers remind me, every time they release a game, that not all my favourite developers have names starting with E. It’s an absolute must!

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek (IHOG)

What happened to the children?

Options include separate sliders for Music, Ambients, SFX and Voices, Full-screen, Aspect Ratio and Custom Cursor.  Choice of three preset difficulties, or you can go with Custom mode. 

Story:

When you were young, you and your friends were playing hide-and-seek when a frightening fog appeared and took them away.  You escaped, but the other children - including your little brother - disappeared, never to be seen again.  Your father went looking, but never came home.  You and your mom moved away, leaving you only the strange scar on your hand and the wistful longing of a child who's lost what she held dear.

Now, twenty years later, you've found evidence that your father may still be alive!  Why would your parents lie to you, and why were they so desperate to keep you away from your hometown?  Return to Greystone to find the answers that you seek!
    Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek 306449D3403F1C92B36E1A9BB94B8157828F513C

Although the Rite of Passage games can be played as standalones, there is a repeating character throughout the series whose presence has a deeper meaning if you've played the previous games.

Our Journal has three "tabs" - Story, Achievements and Objectives.

In this story we have choices on how we interact with others.  These selections will affect your karma meter, which in turn will influence the way things turn out in some way.  I'm Ms. Goody Two-shoes, so I'd have gotten the best ending, even if I hadn't know that there could be a difference. (I looked on Youtube and couldn't find the alternate ending, so if you know, message me and tell me about it!)

The interactive stories have returned, and fill us in on the background info in such a great way.  This time we have two images that we have to make identical.  It sounds like a spot-the-differences mini, but it's more fun than that, don't worry. ;)

Gameplay:

Be on the lookout for collectible handprints.  You'll find the indicator for missing collectibles in the bottom left corner of the screen.

The MAP can be interactive - depending on which difficulty you've chosen - and has insta-teleport capability.  Directional HINTS are available.

Each Hidden Object Scene has a morphing item for you to find in addition to the listed items.  There are multiple HOS types, ranging from the standard, lightly-interactive scenes to finding matched pairs to placing items back where they belong.... and sometimes a mixture of several types!
    Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek F190FBCDA25FA46B6A6BC2272D4E72C36A53DA6C

The Mini-games were mostly fun, although a few were too easy, and others too hard.

That scar on your hand has more meaning than your character could have possibly guessed, granting you special abilities to help you on your path.  I don't want to give any spoilers, but I will say that they are nicely-integrated into the gameplay, and neither over nor under-utilized.

Sights and Sounds:

I liked both the general sound work and the music, which set the tone for the game nicely.

The artwork for the game is pretty, with nice character design and some interesting perspectives.
    Rite of Passage 3: Hide and Seek 1F4B5DDAE49DC7FB0F7C4C9FFC946EFFB764605A

CE Content:

• Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Bonus Chapter
    • Collectibles Hunt (find Handprints you missed during the game)
    • Treasure Hunt (find new "treasure" item at each location)
    • Alchemist's Table (Extra HOS with a bit of mixing to create a potion)
    • 16 Wallpapers
    • 7 Imaginings (Concept Art process with descriptions)
    • 6 downloadable Music Tracks
    • 8 Storybook Sequences
    • 17 Hidden Object Scenes with scoring (can go in just long enough to grab morphing items and back out if you wish)
    • 12 Cutscenes
    • 8 Cast mini-puzzles with bio descriptions for each character
    • Forest Runner mini-game

Bonus Chapter:

The main game's ending was complete, but the extra chapter takes the story just a step further, giving us some extra information that you may not have noticed was missing.  You'll be able to find the remaining collectibles and morphing items during this hour+ of game time.

Verdict:

I had a lot of fun with this one, and the storyline kept me playing even when I should have been in bed.  The recurrent character adds extra depth, not only to this game, but to the series in general, something which I really enjoyed.  A quality game, and one which I recommend.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm