Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Empty Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 am

Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham
    by Hot Lava Games/Game Forest/MumboJumbo - September, 2013

Series links: Midnight Mysteries 1: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy. Midnight Mysteries 2: Salem Witch Trials, Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississippi, Midnight Mysteries 4: Haunted Houdini Deluxe, Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham, Midnight Mysteries 6: Ghostwriting

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Midnight-mysteries-witches-of-abraham-ce_feature

For the past few years, you've been writing bestselling novels based on the stories you've heard told by the ghosts who visit you at midnight. But tonight you have a special visitor, Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States! He wants you to go back in time and find the treasure of the Knights of the Golden Circle, a secret Confederate order, before Lincoln's enemies do! Follow the clues, while learning trivia about famous people and places from the American Civil War in this fascinating Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game.

The Collector's Edition includes:

• Bonus chapter featuring the infamous Jesse James
    • Collectibles that unlock an Unlimited Hidden-Object Puzzles mode
    • Interactive character bios and art gallery
    • Screensavers and wallpapers

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Th_screen1_Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Th_screen2_Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Empty Re: Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:34 am

Worthy Successor To Some Of The Best Games Ever

Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Absolutely one of the best series ever, I cannot count the number of times I have played the other 4 Midnight Mysteries games. They have their own unique beauty and character, and this one has it too, despite being put together by (I think, don’t quote me) a different developer. This game shows much that is new as well as the trademark elements of the series. Together, the result takes a few minutes to get used to, but that’s all you’ll need to get hooked on yet another compelling Midnight Mystery story.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The graphics are a bit unlike the previous games, and although they are clear and very detailed somehow fail to impress. It’s as if there is too much detail to be beautiful. Again, it’s easy to get used to. The scenes also seem a little dark, but visibility is high. There is far more melodrama here than in the rest of the series, with both the sounds and images being designed to startle and the game is quite creepy in parts. The voiceovers are excellent, the English perfect and background noise intense. And the trademark tunes and cut scenes are still there.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    Our role as assistant to ghosts with unfinished business sees us visited this time by Abraham Lincoln. He wants you to track down a secret society and their treasure. It all has to do with the civil war, but then there’s Jesse James mixed in there too – his character looks spectacular. This story is much more threatening and supernaturally oriented, even though we’ve always dealt with ghosts. Before they were mostly harmless. These ones seem to include beings of a far more demonic nature. The story is compelling, and I was hooked almost immediately.

MAKING PROGRESS
    This game is a good mix of puzzles and HOPs, following the previous games’ formula. The puzzles are not difficult, and the HOPs are all interactive lists. Some elements that I particularly like about the HOPs is that you can click on a word in the list to see a silhouette of it. As well, there is a final item which is the one you keep. Hints are collected by finding ravens, of which there are many, but if you run out, a new one will be generated over time.
    There is a journal which also gives you an objectives list and a map which gives you current location and active tasks. The SG can only be accessed through the main menu. Perhaps that’s best: I almost didn’t find the answer to how to keep the cat inside – in the very first HO scene in our office!

BLING!
    The usual gallery items, including two screensavers, as well as achievements, including finding 40 collectible clovers. A game called “Before & After”, and a book of Characters, unlockable HOPs. SG was locked until after purchase. The demo took me 50 mins.

I am tempted to buy the CE just for the wallpaper of Jesse James and the raven screensaver, but I’m like that. Collectible clovers and ravens are part of the tradition of this series, so I doubt they will be exclusive to the CE.

I recommend this game!
    djrum
    djrum

Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham Empty Re: Midnight Mysteries 5: Witches of Abraham

Post by djrum Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:54 am

Yay, it is here!!!! I wholeheartedly agree with your Review (and this is from one huge fan of the series to another, lol!), JustTheFacts.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 am

This series is an insta-buy for me!  The first HOG I ever played was the Poe one... and I still love it!Wub
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:37 am

There's all kind of whining going on at bfg forum, about the graphics, the story having the president in it and the easiness of the puzzles. What the gripes boil down to is it's new. But any new Midnight Mysteries is so much better than none! And I don't think they're done such a bad job. The biggest differences are the graphics (which look similar but the detail work changes the overall effect), and the demonic factor. Looks like we're really up against some serious bad guys this time.

Did you notice Jesse James? Brilliant!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 am

lol, there's always some kind of whining going on over there.

I demo'd it myself and the differences were just not enough for me to be that disappointed. I'm always willing to give a new developer or a new developer of an established series a whirl.

I did notice Jesse James...cool!
    volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for the review.  I love this series.  I got this game yesterday and am thoroughly enjoying it.  Usually if there are lots of whiners at BFG about a game, I know I will like it!!  LOL
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 am

Lol, me too, if they are complaining about too many HOs or puzzles are too easy!!

I gotta wait til next pay to buy it - spent this month's entire budget on 4 CEs! But it is first cab off the rank next month.

Would you let me know what you think of the collector's edition extras please? I really should wait to buy the SE.
    volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Definitely will Just.  I normally wait for the SE because I don't care for all the extras.  This time I just plunged right in!  LOL  I do hope it is worth it so I won't feel so guilty later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm