Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+13
Esme
pippi
sunshinej
tesamoine
jessmom01
Cuddlefish
luvtoread
Frodo
genkicoll
RenaissanceMom
djrum
volnole68
JustTheFacts
17 posters

Beta Thread

tesamoine
    tesamoine

Beta Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Beta Thread

Post by tesamoine Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:Hey, I've already got a crush on one of those dudes at Eipix  Wub , maybe I can get his attention with the story  flutter eyelashes 

They are Very HOTTTT.   I like their games just to see "the making of" at the end   Rolling Eyes   Pitiful, right?  LOL.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Well, if it is, tesamoine, at least we'll be pathetic together!  Drinking buddy 
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:23 am

Runaway Express Mystery
    Collector’s Edition

Release Date:  2014
    Developer: Icarus Games

Clever Combination Of Gameplay Features****

BASED ON BETA

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Nice opening, with the cut scenes just a little bit too blurry for comfort, but a wonderful voiceover and a unique story. There is certainly the expectation that this is going to be interesting.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    Barring the cut scenes, the graphics are good – clear, sufficiently detailed, attractive. Most importantly the HOP scenes are bright and clean. They are tricky enough in their own right, they don’t need questionable graphics! The voice actors throughout, while not perfect, do a fine job of clear diction and appropriate emotions. I particularly liked that the dialogues between our character and those she meets are ‘real’. They are the normal reactions of a distraught mother to petty officialdom and are the most convincing I’ve ever seen/heard. You also have dialogue options in some cases. The music and ambient sounds are present and comfortable, but not intrusive. There is, of course, the constant train noise.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    At an expo of locomotives, your children climb aboard the famous Runaway Express, are grabbed by the Engineer (?), and the train takes off. You barely manage to grab onto the caboose. Breaking into the train and moving forward through the carriages is about as difficult as you’d expect it to be, and then things get worse! Eventually, you reach other people, but the one person who may be able to help is weird and ill-looking, and not as helpful as you think he could be. Somehow, you are roped into solving his problem – a total lack of recall about himself and what he is doing on this train. This is your first ‘case’, and your first step towards rescuing your children.

This is one aspect of the game that needs cleaning up. We somehow morph from concerned mother to deft detective, complete with the analytical skills and tools required. It is a leap not supported by the story.

GAMEPLAY
    The gameplay is an intriguing mix of things we’ve seen elsewhere, used in new ways. The HOPs are progressive silhouettes (find and use), at least, some items are. Others are simply ‘find and they disappear’. The search list is on the right side of the monitor, which changes your thinking about it more than you’d think.

On the left side, you have the tools of the detective trade that you found in a Paris alley (yeah, I know, weird, right?). You can use the magnifier, fingerprint kit, luminol and flashlight to find handprints and blood stains, as well as the standard items. The first time confronted with this array of tools, I was at a complete loss as to where they could be most profitably used. I mean, we surely weren’t going to dust the whole scene for prints, right? Right! Where to use the tools is, in this first scene, indicated by an array of hints, if you can decipher them. After that you are on your own. – and in the harder two of three difficulty levels, there is a misclick penalty. I know people will scream, but I can see it makes sense here. The result is a very difficult series of HOP scenes which while doing nothing we have not seen before, are rendered unique in combination.

The puzzles are again not especially new, but they bring their own degree of difficulty with them. Still, not as complex as the HOPs. The adventure is intuitive and I had no trouble following the logic of the actions, and there is a notebook, task list, interactive jump map, and directional hint. You can also expect inventory items that need additional steps or parts, or closer examination.

That is not all that this game requires you to master. As well, we have an evidence board (don’t ask me how), and as we acquire evidentiary items we must place them in one of the three columns on the board – motive, crime scene, suspect – and draw conclusions from it. This is made too easy (at least in the easiest level of difficulty) by having pale silhouettes of the items in the correct columns. Still, it is very satisfying to see the case all come together, and watch the inescapable conclusion become obvious.

CE BLING!
    Not available.

COMBINED IMPACT
    The game needs some tweeking on story, but I am very impressed, particularly when you discover that the only previous pc game this developer has made (Lost Civilisation aka NiBiRu rip-off). (I think. According to their website. But I've been fooled by that before. Trust genki!)

I recommend this game!

Try It Here!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Well, that was quick!

Signed up for beta testing with Two Desperados and received the link to the beta of Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween today! And not through Big Fish.

I'm off to check it out!  scaryjack

Try It Here!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:20 pm

I had to go look up Icarus -- You're right, just Lost Civilization and an interactive graphic novel by the name of Time Treasury.
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:40 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:Well, that was quick!

Signed up for beta testing with Two Desperados and received the link to the beta of Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween today! And not through Big Fish.

I'm off to check it out!  scaryjack

Try It Here!

I did too, although I did not know how to share the link.  That was the most difficult game to review that I have ever played.  I'm STILL confused by it.  It (the way the humor is, etc.. NOT the storyline) reminds me of another game, but I can't think which one probably because I'm senile  Huh?   It wasn't until the beta ended that I even had a clue as to what was going on.  Did you like it?
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:Well, if it is, tesamoine, at least we'll be pathetic together!  Drinking buddy 
    LOL !!!!!   Nothing wrong with pathetic, huh?
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:11 am

Evil Pumpkin is HARD! A real adventurey feel to it girls! Let's hope we are not waiting til Halloween to see it released, though! Review a little later. After another, *groan* cat nap.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:36 am

Evil Pumpkin: Missing Halloween
    Collector’s Edition

Release Date:  2014
    Developer: 2 Desperados Games

Love/Hate Relationship***

BASED ON BETA

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    From the beginning, this game had me on edge. Just what was going on? A kid hiding a book from his Dad? Goofy, 2D graphics with surrealist tendencies? An owl who is already getting on my goat? But... But... something about it hooks you immediately.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The graphics are of a type you either love or hate, that strangely colourful but not bright and light, clear but not even vaguely realistic, and all-out-of-perspective look.  I know not what to call it. I quite like it as a change. The technical quality is not brilliant, but more than adequate. There are curious aspects to it. For instance, a purple octopus as a handling cursor. The odd use of light. But many of the items in the HOPs and the collectible candies are way too small. At the least, a magnifier is needed to make this game enjoyable.

Likewise, the sound track is distinctive. I can’t make up my mind about the boy’s voice, but it’s different. The owl is a ...hoot... (sorry, had to, as you’ll see if you play this game). The music is original and sounds very mysterious, which is good, because a mystery is what we have. It also reminds me of a carnival fun house, which is appropriate too.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    It is not made really clear what is going on, but it seems the boy we are playing with is curious about this legend called Halloween, celebrated on 31st October. That’s the one day his father always spends away from him, doing his ‘secret things’. Like any self-respecting boy, he must uncover the truth! So he steals his father’s “Halloween” book. After narrowly avoiding getting caught by his father, he opens the book on a table. Next thing, he’s having a conversation with an owl! The book is enchanted!

Reading the book on the origins of Halloween, he is horrified to learn that it was a day of great evil and cruelty. Why would his dad want to celebrate this? The owl says he must look harder, he must see the hidden signs of the author’s magic. Much snooping later, he decides to go to town to talk to the bartender at the tavern, the only person who may have information on this event.

GAMEPLAY
    Hard. As in very difficult to follow. I constantly had to get hints about what to do next. The leaps in logic are too great for me. But individually, each step make sense. One thing that I find both fascinating and infuriating is the high blown (almost Shakespearean in scope) language, and the rhyming and riddling. On the one hand it is amusingly farcical, but it also makes some of the hints, well, clueless. Much of the gameplay involves riddles, so brush up on your verbal skills!

The HOPs are interactive lists, and tricky to solve even if size doesn’t bother you. They are visited twice. There are also interactive silhouettes. Other puzzles are very few and very simple. This game plays like an adventure game, with quite a lot of chat between the boy and the owl, and lots of clues to decipher. It also feels a little ‘old’, in the style of earlier HOPA games. As well as the owl, we acquire a pet guinea pig for a while, and he helps out.

There is a directional hint, but no map in the demo, although you get an interactive jump map just at the end. Both hint and skip are quite slow, The journal keeps more than just history and ‘quests’. It gives additional, important details and is interactive. Sometimes, you must complete a mini-puzzle in it to proceed. There are, similarly, inventory items that need additional pieces or actions. Inventory bar can be locked. There are 2 levels of difficulty, and a custom. There are misclick penalties as one of the options.

Another feature is the gizbelt. The gizbelt is where you keep those tools that you are going to reuse. Like your scissors when you get them. But that is not all. The giztruments are graded into different levels, and the more they are used the greater their level. Gains in level give them new abilities, and you can only find out what by trial and error.

CE BLING!
    The collectible candies buy things in the store that you can use on your Backyard Enhancement Project. This involves lots of pumpkins, skeletons and ravens. There are also collectible bats, but they seem very hard to find. They give you additional hints, so you don’t have to wait for it to refill. Nice if you are as confused as me. But you gotta find ‘em! There are achievements too, of the performance kind, displayed as a big pumpkin tree. The various buttons for all this stuff are too close together – I didn’t think there was an achievements section, because I always ended up in the backyard!

COMBINED IMPACT
    I remain of two minds about this game, even after playing the beta twice. Personally, I’m not wrapped in the graphics, but many have reacted favourably to them, so I have to take that into account.

Worst of all, twice now I have been unable to finish the demo. And in different points. This has never happened before. I couldn’t go forward in the second attempt, despite realising my mistake in the first attempt. So I had to take this knowledge with me back to my original profile and finally got to finish the game!

Tough game, and a tough call.

I recommend this game!

Try It Here!
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:51 am

Brilliant review Justie   Okay
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 am

Thank you!
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 pm

This is a brilliant review on a game that for me would have been very hard to review.  You did hit the nail on the head so to speak about the rhymes and riddles and the odd light and strange use of some objects.  I found it difficult, but you are correct in that each step does make sense.  I'm looking forward to seeing this one released.  LOL @ the owl being a hoot.   Belly laugh  good one
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Thank you, yes it was very hard to review. I think I spent more time writing the review than playing the demo - and I took much longer than the standard 45 mins for the demo!

I found it hard to complete the survey too. What do you say? I think your English is too good for English speakers?!
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 pm

I was actually surprised at their very good command of the English language in that game, especially since most of the talking was in riddles.  Actually I wanted to ask them if they knew anyone at Artifex or Eipix since this company seems to be over by the Ukraine.  Was hoping to strike up a convo with a hottie there.  Belly laugh    But, seriously, I mentioned the miniscule HOS.  And the fact that I didn't like the silhouette HOS.  Oh, and that there should have been more introduction or something to the story.  I was lost from the word go.  And hoping they have "a making of" if it's offered as a CE  Big smile
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:29 am

OMG! One of my favourite ever games is getting a sequel this year!

A little birdie told me:

Chimeras 2: Grim Reaper BETA - coming soon...

YAY!  Happy bounce

+ Midnight Mysteries 6 BETA - coming soon... also YAY!  Happy bounce 
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:08 am

Ooh, Justie, excited for Chimeras 2   Happy bounce
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 am

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 am

Happy bounce 

Was just asking myself the other day, with all these Eipix coming out, I wonder when the next Myths of the World would be released?

Well, maybe not too far into the future. The beta is already here!

Myths Of The World 4: Of Fiends & Fairies
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:09 pm

I recieved this beta in the mail today.  I'm off to play!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Chimeras 2 & Midnight Mysteries 6, Yay!!!!  Happy bounce
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Myths of the World: Fiends and Faeries  is a definite  to buy.

After the disappointing  (to me)  second one,   this one has restored my faith that
    they can come up with a storyline that does not have a "been there, done that"
    feel.
    The music and accents sounded Irish to me.  There were faery feet to be found.....
    I think it was faery feet.....I found one by accident.   Anyway,   there was a leprechaun,
    a talking pigs head....
    Its all good!   Happy bounce
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Dumb Question - How does one go about getting beta trials? I kinda want to be in the Cool People's Club too!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Justie can tell you about the rest, but to get started, follow the links in this thread: 
    Casual Companies Looking for Beta-testers
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:24 am

lol, pippi, I asked just the same question here, for just the same reason, about 6 mths ago, and genki's wonderful list was the answer she gave me.

So I signed up for everyone's beta program and almost immediately started getting beta games. Then, bfg and their affiliate developers started sending stuff too, even though I had been unable to sign up for anything specifically for them.

BUT, to reallybe in the know, and get all the latest betas, you have to come here lol. I swipe the beta links from a thread at pondfriends, and put them up here. I started keeping a list at the beginning of the thread. But I've been too slack to maintain it. So, if you scroll backwards, you'll find all the more recent links and, if I've done one, a review as well.

Other comments/reviews from these links also welcomed!  Elk grin 

And please, do please let me know if one sneaks past both me and pondfriends and into your email inbox. It happens.  Smile 

And if you're as lucky as I was, you'll sign up for a beta program, just before they rewards all their beta testers with a free game. I got Enigmatis: Ghosts of Maple Creek CE for free!

Happy bounce Okay 
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:22 am

Wow, Justie, you got Enigmatis for free?  Lucky you!   Big smile   That's an excellent game.   Big smile 

I've had a couple of surveys, after you've already reviewed them, but I've never been lucky enough to get the game for free. 

But here's a survey I just got from BFG. 
    The Secret Order:  Ancient Times
    http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/25094/the-secret-order-ancient-times-survey/index.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:53 pm