Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room Empty Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room

Post by genkicoll Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Victorian Mysteries: The Yellow Room
    by Freeze Tag Games - April, 2012

Series links:  Victorian Mysteries 1: Woman in White, Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC / Mac
    GameHouse for PC / Mac
    iWin
    Steam

Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room Victorian-mysteries-the-yellow-room_feature

Solve a perplexing conundrum in Victorian Mysteries: The Yellow Room! A young woman is attacked in the middle of the night inside a locked room. There are only two ways out: a dead- bolted door and a single window blocked by iron bars. How did the murderer escape?

• Interact with a host of chracters
    • Unravel a Victorian mystery
    • Sumptuous scenery
    • Blog Walkthrough (Big Fish)

Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room Screen1Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room Screen2
    Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room Screen3
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room Empty Re: Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room

Post by genkicoll Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Victorian Mysteries: The Yellow Room (IHOG)

A woman is brutally attacked in a room with barred windows and whose only door was locked from the inside.

Options include separate sliders for Music and Sound, Full-screen, Widescreen and Custom Cursor.  Choice of Casual or Expert Mode.

NOTE: My profile got corrupted either when I had a power surge whilst playing, or when I tried to play in offline mode afterwards, so this review is not based upon the completed game.

Story:

Based on the novel by Gaston Leroux, who is also the author of The Phantom of the Opera, The Yellow Room is a tale revolving around an attack upon an inventor's daughter.  We are the photographer for our reporter/investigator friend, out to solve the mystery of who attacked this woman.  How did the assault take place when the door was dead-bolted from the inside, and the only other exit was a barred window?  We must piece together the evidence to find our answer!
    Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room 361CB99B0DD7639061C3F7854403C72ACC7E87EA

Our Journal is wonderful and absolutely chock-full of of extra story, but it's also a bit unwieldy.  We have tabs for Characters, Evidence and Story: When you're in the Story tab, there are 5 chapters, and you'll have to click on the chapter you'd like to look at before you can read anything.  The other tabs are similar, with an extra step you'll have to take before you can view things.  There is SO much information in here, a story-lover's dream!

You can access your Task List either by looking at something in the journal, or simply by clicking on the Tasks book in the bottom right corner of the interface.

The story progresses through cutscenes, articles we find, eavesdropping and interactions with other characters.  You have dialogue choices, and of course to get the full story you'll want to select them in order (top to bottom), but if you've played before and remember how it goes (or are just impatient), simply select the bottom choice to proceed.
    Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room 31F0797F20CBEA26FBA2C239F6FED2D66073A51F

Gameplay:

The main focus of this game is the story, but it has a nice balance of adventuring, hidden objects and puzzles.

Clicking on the MAP will give you an overview, and you need to click on the area you'd like to see (ie. The Train Station or The Chateau).  Once you are viewing the area you want to see, there are color-coded indicators: HO Scene, Evidence, Investigate, You Are Here and Completed.  There is no insta-transport available.

The to-ing and fro-ing is kept to small areas, for the most part, but there are times where you'll need to backtrack quite a bit.

There are NO HINTS in the adventure portion of the game unless you count the markers on the map that show active areas, and even then it's easy to miss things.  I got stuck for a long while, simply because I didn't notice there was a clock off to the side that I could zoom in on. *face palm*

Here is a handy walkthrough for those who need it!

Hidden Object Scenes are mostly your standard to-find lists, but every now and then there will be an interactive item.  HINTS for the HOS will need to charge each time you enter a scene.
    Victorian Mysteries 2: The Yellow Room 39CC97ABB8C50329FE1D93E083B7AC71077295DD

Sights and Sounds:

This is an older game (2012), so the graphics won't blow you away, but they portray the environment beautifully.

Voiceovers are all done with a French accent, but whether or not they sound authentic, I couldn't tell you... I don't know anyone from France! ;)

The SFX can be annoying, but the music is beautifully dramatic (where called for).

Verdict:

This is an excellent game for those who enjoy sleuthing, and especially for those who love a lot of story.  I definitely return to The Yellow Room one day, and until then, happy gaming, all!

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 am