Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

5 posters

Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio Empty Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 am

Danse Macabre: The Last Adagio
    by Eipix - February, 2014

Series linksDanse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio, Danse Macabre 2: Crimson Cabaret, Danse Macabre 3: Deadly Deception, Danse Macabre 4: Thin Ice, Danse Macabre 5: Lethal Letters, Danse Macabre 6: Ominous Obsession, Danse Macabre 7: Florentine Elegy, Danse Macabre 8: Curse of the Banshee

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio Danse-macabre-the-last-adagio-ce_feature

Your sister's invited you to attend the biggest performance of her life: she'll debut as Donatella di Fiore, every ballerina’s dream role. She tells you to meet her after the dance but never shows up! What’s happened to your sister on this fateful night?

Get into the theater and find a cast of ghosts all trying to tell you something. Some of them are better at playing music than talking, so this could take some digging on your part... Save your sister from a decades-old curse so this doesn't become her last encore.

• Play the bonus game to learn how the curse was started!
    • Get soundtracks, wallpapers, screensavers, and concept art
    • Try the Strategy Guide
    • Play bonus puzzles!
    • Walkthrough (Big Fish)

Click images to enlarge
    Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio Th_screen1_Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio Th_screen2_Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio Empty Re: Danse Macabre 1: The Last Adagio

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:36 am

Only difference from beta is the list of Extras, and an increase in my rating of it.

Deadly Romance*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    I’ve played this demo twice now (did the beta) and still got so caught up in the game that I forgot to takes notes! Wonderful introduction gives you all the backstory you need, and a fair indication of how this story is going to go. No dramatic train crashes or air disasters, but a good old-fashioned love-crazed villain with a taste for fire.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    As usual with this developer, the graphics are superb. This is a somewhat darker game than is their usual, but they handle it well and most locations are in fact very well lit. The darkness is more an atmospheric thing. There is a certain glossy shine to the theatre scenes that I find a bit off putting personally. But then I’m not European and am therefore not used to seeing that much gold gilt! All items are easy to see and not small.

The voices are excellent fun, done in pseudo-Italian (?) accents, that fit wholly with the characters and the story. The flautist is my personal favourite. The characters in the location are still, while there is a smaller pic beside the speech box where lips do move. I always like this feature. The music is a little different, though don’t ask me to describe how. But it is low key ominous and quite pleasant. As the game is about ballet, I was a little disappointed not to hear any classical stuff.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    You are meeting your sister after her performance as star of the most popular ballet, written for the love of the composer’s life. It was performed here for the first time 30 years ago, immediately prior to the theatre burning to the ground. Having watched the intro through, we know that the composer burnt the place down in revenge for finding his loved one, the prima ballerina, with another man.

Your sister does not show, and you are outside wondering what to do when the stage manager opens the door. No, he says, the theatre is empty, there’s no one here. But there is a light in an upstairs window, and voices. You must get in and find your sister! In keeping with demo tradition, we finish with a cliff hanger, but how we are going to get out of this particular predicament totally escapes me! Can’t wait to find out!

GAMEPLAY
    The play is dominated by HOPs. So far, there have been several, either interactive lists or simple silhouettes, which are introduced four at a time only, which requires a slightly different search strategy. What may have been irrelevant before could be needed now. As an alternative, there is a bubble popper game, in which each sparkling bubble you pop removes an item from the list. Again, an somewhat unusual strategy is required.

The puzzles so far are incredibly easy. I hope they get harder later on, because if I think they’re easy, a lot of people will think they are laughable. One puzzle got on my nerves. A simple follow the notes memory game. But if you missed once you had to go right back to the start from one note again.

There is an interactive jump map that shows objectives as well as active tasks and current location. I don’t like how long it took to unfold it each time we use it. Hint is directional. The journal has a diary and objectives. The tutorial is particularly well written.

CE BLING!
    *Takes a deep breath*

In-game SG, and bonus chapter. The gallery includes a ‘making of’ movie, game movies, 8 Wallpapers, 8 Concept Art, 16 Photos, Music. There are replayable HOPs (17) and puzzles (28), as well as bonus HOPs which are played for a separate achievement. Two types of collectibles, 44 yellow roses for Marie’s Bouquet (a mini-game where you can go back to the places where you missed the roses). These are easy to spot, and 12 morphing items, which are a lot harder to find. There are 18 Achievements, all performance based. There is a Souvenir Room, another mini-game, where you go back through the locations finding one new item.

COMBINED IMPACT
    I really loved this game. But it is not my favourite Eipix, though it is up to their usual excellent standards. My enthusiasm is tempered, I think, by the lack of anything unique to this game, and all that golden gilt!

I recommend this game!
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:52 am

I played the beta for this game, and LOVED it.   Big smile    Reminds me a lot of Phantom Of The Opera   Happy bounce 

Definately gonna get this one... but I'm going to wait.  My plan is this:

-  Wait for Bad Omen to come out (which should hopefully be soon!)
    -  Wait for another BOGOF sale
    -  Get Dance Macabre & Bad Omen at the same time - 2 for the price of one.   Evil Grin
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:22 am

Sounds like a plan!! I missed the last sale, no cash. So this time, my paypal account is gonna always be stocked ready for the next half price or BOGOF sale! Just for the CEs, the SEs I usually have enough PCCs for.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:39 am

Good plan, Frodo, but I'm pretty sure Bad Omen will be an SE only.  Could be wrong, though!  This is one instance where I'd be happy to get a CE!

Justie, I'm so glad you're here to give us the goods on these games.  It's so nice to have info right away, and even nicer not to have to go to Big Fish to get it! Sunny
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 am

Thank you. It is great to be able to have fun and be useful at the same time! Happy bounce Elk grin 
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:25 pm

Did anyone read the thread where someone posted that "Danse" was spelled wrong?
    Last I looked,  that post had the most response.  Surprised the original poster didn't
    delete that embarrassment!!   Embarrassed

The good part is that quite a few answered with some interesting information about the
    Origin of the word,  one person is rather rude,   one was removed by moderator,
    and BF  is threatening to lock the thread.

I just do not miss that nonsense anymore.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Amen to that, luv!
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

luvtoread wrote:Did anyone read the thread where someone posted that "Danse" was spelled wrong?
    Last I looked,  that post had the most response.  Surprised the original poster didn't
    delete that embarrassment!!   Embarrassed

The good part is that quite a few answered with some interesting information about the
    Origin of the word,  one person is rather rude,   one was removed by moderator,
    and BF  is threatening to lock the thread.

I just do not miss that nonsense anymore.
    I saw that this evening.  I really got a laugh out of it.  It seems the moderator is always there to lock threads.  They also locked the one that was about "what is your favorite developer".   Part of my last review got deleted by them because I wrote that when you clicked on a wrong item, it made a bonging noise.  They didn't appreciate bonging?  I didn't know what else to call it.  A gonging noise?   Happy bounce  I'm not too fond of being censored like that.  I mean, I could see if it were something atrocious.  Not liking those forums.  I did not ever go to the forums that are no longer there, so not sure what they were like.  But they really need something like that.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

It's all a bit nuts in there these days. There are daily battles over trivial issues. The mods are either never there when you need them or all over you... As I say, crazy. I am keeping my mouth shut there for the moment, but I did read all that brou ha ha over "danse". Took me quite a bit of restraint to NOT tell them all to just shut up and play the game lol. Zip it (although the one that started it deserved at slap to the metaphorical head - jeez! Pedantic as well as wrong!)
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm learning with time to keep my lip zipped.  Or in this case, the fingers off the keyboard.  I agree, the one who started the thread about the misspelling really needs a wake up call.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Back Again and Still Having My Say Silly face

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME (Danse Macabre: The Last Adagio)

Well, I decided to play the Danse Macabre series, since I have all the games and have played none but that first demo review for Last Adagio. So...

IN BRIEF

I did enjoy the game for all the reasons I first liked the demo, but it did take a while to really get into it. In fact, it took me 2 months.  Laugh But once I got used to having to think for myself (Midnight Castle has made me brain dead), I had a great time.

So many years have past and so many more of Eipix games played, it did seem a bit primitive. The art is not much compared to, say, a Hidden Expedition game. The HOPs are basic silhouette and/or interactive lists. But there is the bubble game you can choose instead. 

The CE content is something I always appreciate in Eipix games. The finding of the roses you miss, the Souvenir Room, which involves being sent to all the locations again, randomly, to find a new item in each. I would prefer an item that was there all along, but had no part of the game play, but that's just me. Extra HOPs and Puzzles, as well as being able to repeat existing ones for achievements of sorts of their own - treble clefs. 

I think I liked the bonus game more than the main one!  OH! I actually got a lump in my throat!  Offering
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:38 am

Welcome back to reviewing, Justie! Happy bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:15 pm