Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+2
Esme
genkicoll
6 posters

Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play Empty Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play

Post by genkicoll Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Hey look, an impromptu group play-through, this one for Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker <--game thread

The usual group play info:

Anyone is welcome to join in at any time!

Here's how it works:

The people who are participating come to this thread to discuss the game.  Anything about the game:  The graphics, sounds, story, impressions, and cries for help.  The only thing you need to remember is that we don't want to ruin any surprises or storyline specifics for those who haven't played yet, so please hide this kind of information!

There are two ways to do this:

Use spoiler tags, which look like this [ spoiler]Type your spoiler here.[ /spoiler] (without the spaces inside the brackets.  When you do it right, it will look like this once you submit your post:
    [spoiler]Type your spoiler here. /spoiler]
    You can click on the Preview button (to the left of the Send button) if you want to be sure you've done it right before submitting.

Change the color of your text.  To do so, highlight the text whose color you want to change, click on the button at the top of the reply box that looks like nine little colored squares, and choose the color you want.  Once you post, the background will be a light blue color, so keep that in mind ;)

The goal is to have fun playing this together, whilst still having the information in the thread be helpful for anyone who comes along later -- even if it's a year from now!

Yada yada yada, the usual stuff Elk grin  Let us BEGIN!

Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play O9fj
    Esme
    Esme

Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play Empty Re: Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play

Post by Esme Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:53 pm

This game is already more fun than the last six I've played. So exciting!  Happy bounce  Happy bounce  Happy bounce
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play Empty Re: Shiver 1: Vanishing Hitchhiker Group Play

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 pm

I remember when I first demo'd it, I thought, bleh. Too 'rusty' and depressing. Then it won Creepiest Of The Year, so I bought it anyway, then I played it and still thought, bleh, too depressing. Then it's turn came round again, and this time when I played it, it "oh this is so good!" Go figure. I often enjoy games much more 2nd or 3rd time round.

I never got the hang of the photo taking though. What's that about?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:34 pm

The camera in your inventory will flash when it's time to take a picture.  At these times, you catch phantom images, which will help the story progress, as well as lead you in the right direction.

I just got to the hospital, but haven't entered yet.  Need some sleep!  nite-nite

volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 am

This is a game I never purchased so I am trying it out again.  I will probably like it now as my taste in games has changed quite a bit during the last few years.  Hopefully I can join you!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:03 am

OKay, I gave in, I'm playing it too. In fits and starts between other stuff. Had forgotten how everything was all blurry with dust motes in the air, and difficult to see.

I did like you said with the camera genki, with the pic of the two going out on their big day out, and I see what you mean, but I must have missed the photo of the dolls because now I don't have it, and don't have anything to tell me the way they should be  Cry 

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:35 am

Well,  could not resist.  I have dl/d Shiver and will proceed to play.    Don't want to
    feel left out.   Smile 

I read esme's post about Genki shooting a gun or waving a flag to start the game and
    all I could picture was  her doing the dramatic flag dropping--like,  I believe it was the
    Original Grease movie,   she is standing between the two cars,   a flag in each hand,
    she drops them to signal the cars to go,  and she practically collapses from either
    exhaustion or overacting ham-ism  (probably a word I just made up)     faints
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 am

Oh, one more thing...

Spoiler:
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:14 am

luvtoread wrote:I read esme's post about Genki shooting a gun or waving a flag to start the game and
    all I could picture was  her doing the dramatic flag dropping--like,  I believe it was the
    Original Grease movie,   she is standing between the two cars,   a flag in each hand,
    she drops them to signal the cars to go,  and she practically collapses from either
    exhaustion or overacting ham-ism  (probably a word I just made up)     faints

Belly laugh I do love the melodramatic overacting!  It's so fuuuuun~! Elk grin

I'm happy to see so many people joining in!  What fun! Happy bounce

JustTheFacts wrote:I did like you said with the camera genki, with the pic of the two going out on their big day out, and I see what you mean, but I must have missed the photo of the dolls because now I don't have it, and don't have anything to tell me the way they should be  Cry

Look in your journal for the pic you need -- the important ones go in there.  The Photos section only has any random pics you take.  What's the point?  Well, you can take a pic of every location you visit, and use it as a reference to help you remember where everything is (since we have no map.)  Take pics of your favorite locations, take no pictures whatsoever... however you want to do it.  The only time you really need to take a pic is when the camera flashes Wink

Oh, and nice "spoiler" Snicker

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:20 am

I quite like taking pix. Wish they were available for my desktop - dark tales 6 you can save your pix (std location shot, but it's a start) -even in the beta! I have my DT6 pix on my desktop now.

I just stopped playing to take a breath of fresh air - have just finished the hospital. I didn't remember how confusing and mysterious this game was. So hard to know what to make of everything!

Spoiler:
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:15 pm

regarding the pics- When I went to play,  I stayed with my former profile but started a
    new game  (on Adventure Mode).    I have pics already,  was wondering if that was
    from my previous game (which it said would be deleted)  or does everyone has pics
    already  installed.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I just installed the game for the first time on this computer, and no pics except the one I took.

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:32 pm

No pix here either, and I've played many times under different profiles but otherwise the same.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Oh,  ok.  Well,  I'll just enjoy them.     Laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Dropping by to say "howdy". Smile 
    This game is so good!! Some may call it "dated" but I Wub  the simplicity of the slide-style graphics. It really feels like you're experiencing a mysterious, creepy ghost story.

I am playing s-l-o-w-l-y to relish it.  Evil Grin Am stopping for a while as DH and I are going to cuddle through a Breaking Bad mini marathon - we're not Super Bowl sort of people - but will get back to it later.

Oh and I'm nowhere near the hospital yet. As I said, taking my time...
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm still in the hospital.  I haven't gotten very far today, but I'm relishing it, too Sunny

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Ok, well, I've finished the next 'chapter' after the hospital, so I'm gonna wander off and do something else while you ladies "catch up"  Big smile 

I remember what it was I disliked the most about this game - every thing is orange! In the chapter after the hospital at least. Blah!

Do you think it looks dated? I didn't even think about that. And I usually notice that sort of thing. I love the flashes that accompany to flashbacks or whatever they are. The piercing white light, the shadows/ghosts, discontinuity - all makes for fun confusion!  Laugh 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I've just started the chapter you finished, Justie.

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:11 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:Do you think it looks dated? I didn't even think about that. And I usually notice that sort of thing.
    Well - not maybe dated exactly. But the static graphics are less "glam" or whatever, compared to more recent stuff.
    Totally not a problem for me; it seems all my favorite games are from the 90s or early naughts, so I'm good with dated.  Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm running behind. I just finished the hospital chapter. 

I'm shocking myself  EEK!  for saying this but... I'm sort of enjoying NOT looking for objects to collect and things that morph for a change. Playing a game that is driven by PLOT is refreshing. It's interesting. It's enjoyable. I'm glad I decided to replay this one. I'm remembering why I thought it was so awesome in the first place
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:07 pm

volnole68 wrote:This is a game I never purchased so I am trying it out again.  I will probably like it now as my taste in games has changed quite a bit during the last few years.  Hopefully I can join you!

Oh, please do! It's fun to play a game at the same time as others and just share impressions. I hope you enjoy it now that your gaming tastes have changed.  Two thumbs up
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15 pm

I just hit the last chapter of the main game.  Taking a break for a bit before I continue.

volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:31 pm

I finally got started after dinner.  It took me awhile to get used to the game play.  I am actually enjoying it.  I am so glad I read about the camera and stuff before I got started.  Saved me some frustration trying to figure that out!! My biggest frustration is the lack of a map.  I can picture all the rooms in my mind but can't remember how to get to each one.  I know there aren't many but my brain is old!!  LOL

I have just arrived at the hospital.  So are you considering the different locations as chapters? How many chapters are there?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm going by what the strategy guide says.  The main game has five chapters:
    Spoiler:

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:40 pm

I have just finished
    Spoiler:
    Really enjoying it but I am done for tonight.
    Goodnight all! G\'night!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 pm