Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

What is Steam?

genkicoll
    genkicoll

What is Steam? Empty What is Steam?

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

What is Steam?

Steam is a portal that sells a range of games, from older games for under $5 to quirky Indi games to the shiny new mainstream games like Skyrim.

All Steam games need to be run through their Steam software, but you can play in offline mode.

They accept major credit cards and PayPal, and do not have a game club (that I know of).

What is Steam? O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

What is Steam? Empty Re: What is Steam?

Post by genkicoll Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am

twinsoniclab wrote:Steam has some great sales, but...

Be careful if you use Paypal with Steam. If there is a problem they don't have an adequate method of customer service, and instead just freeze your account for a period of time. My son's ban (of about 2 months) lifts next week. His sin? He messed up his Paypal order, ended up ordering the item 2 or 3 times, since it wasn't showing the transaction went through. He got his refund, but they also banned him! You can read online where it happens to others when they use Paypal and mess it up somehow. I tried to get my son to fuss, but he is non-confrontational and just wanted to wait it out. There is no phone support, so you don't get to explain anything to a real person!

Wow, I had no idea! I only have a few games from them, and luckily, I didn't have any trouble during the purchase process. I really hate the Steam interface, so I usually buy elsewhere if I can.

What is Steam? O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:41 am

Just a note that Steam's Daily Deals are now lasting TWO days -- 48 hours.  They've been doing this for about a week now, but whether it's a permanent affair, I do not know.  You can find the DD's easily by checking out the Games, Games, Games! So Many Games! thread, as I always edit them in once the new day's offering has been posted at Steam (10:00 AM, PST aka "Big Fish time")

What is Steam? O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

So, now that I've had some REAL experience dealing with Steam, my feelings about them have changed.

You are required to use their Valve application (aka Steam Client), which is basically a combination of game manager and browser for the entire Steam site.  If you've got a fast computer, it's actually great!  Updates to your games and the GM are automatic, but you can PAUSE your downloads and updates at any time!  It's intuitive and easy to manage your games. 

If you like achievements, you'll love dealing with Steam, as it has achievements for (I think) every game.  It's easy to track your progress through the GM, which is always a nice thing Okay

The downside of Steam is that if you have a slower computer, Valve will slow it down even more Sweat drop

What is Steam? O9fj

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:02 pm