Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

Changes to the Forum

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Changes to the Forum Empty Changes to the Forum

Post by genkicoll Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm

As you can see, I've made a couple of changes to the look of the board.

We now have a search function, and I'll start a new topic on how best to use it.

There is also a scrolling "Latest topics" section and a Friends & Affiliates list of links.

If you'd like to see why I have an E-bates link there, it's all explained here: Get Cash Back on your Big Fish Game Purchases!

Now... how do you all feel about the changes? I'm happy to have a search function, and I like having links available, but I'm not sure I like the "Latest Topics" scrolling over there.

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    _DD_
    _DD_

Changes to the Forum Empty Re: Changes to the Forum

Post by _DD_ Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 pm

genkicoll wrote:
    Now... how do you all feel about the changes? I'm happy to have a search function, and I like having links available, but I'm not sure I like the "Latest Topics" scrolling over there.
    Thanks for asking! I noticed that scrolling part immediately when I logged on today (not with pleasure) and must say I find that permanent movement in the corner of the eye highly disruptive. (also cos the ad line is sometimes animated, too; didn't get round yet to look into turning it off)
    I don't like these effects in games either, lightning, crawling bugs, flying leaves... ok, this isn't a HOG <g> but since you asked: I'd rather have as few unfounded permanent moving, jumping, animation etc. as possible! Smile

The other changes are fine so far, and btw I just noticed an "Advanced search" above the scrolling window - where I avoided to look at so far, lol! - where one can also click to see results with all words. (no literal quote as I've set this forum to German Smile ) Must check that out further.
    katy12250

Post by katy12250 Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 am

Your site is really grat, Genki! Thanks for starting it.

One question - is there a setting to take you to the last read message in a topic? When I do the "view posts since last visit" & clock on one of them, it takes me to the first post in the topic rather than the latest one that I've read. Didn't know if there was a sitting for this or not.

Also, VERY glad that you have a copy of the list of game series here. Don't tell, but it's how I figured out gove's anagrams! LOL
    kac

Post by kac Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:16 am

Truthfully, I didn't notice the scrolling menu until I went looking for it. I tend to have tunnel vision and just look at the messages. It is annoying when I saw it, but since I'll ignore it most of the time fixing it is not crucial to me.

Katy I have looked at the anagrams and they will take me far longer to complete that I have the time to devote to them. There must be some trick to them, but for me they are HARD!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:11 am

I've turned off the scrolling (I didn't like it, either!), and I'm
    looking into how to make it go to the newest unread post in a topic. It
    may take me a bit to figure out, but I am looking into it Changes to the Forum 364988687

By the way, if my animated signature bothers anyone, I will be happy to change it! Just let me know Smile

Changes to the Forum O9fj
    _DD_
    _DD_

Post by _DD_ Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:54 am

MUCH better w/o the scrolling, thanks!

btw, the icons for the forum titles are too funny; at the moment I'm still rofling about the one under desserts.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:25 am

hahaha, I love that smiley Big smile My brother was especially fond of the one I used for the Off-color Humor section Snicker

Changes to the Forum O9fj

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:14 pm