Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+16
Critteranne
jboliver1999
jessmom01
tesamoine
pippi
Butterflyshrimp
Frodo
RenaissanceMom
BloomingLilac
orphaned
luvtoread
kac
djrum
Esme
genkicoll
marianne
20 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by genkicoll Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 pm

djrum wrote:I finished Dream Hunter and I actually enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. I love it when that happens!
    *snip*
    Jump map & collectibles & bonus game included! Not bad for a SE!

What's the full name of the game, so I can add it to the list of SE's with CE-bonus content
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:27 pm

djrum wrote:
    Full title: Demon Hunter: Chronicles from Beyond-The Untold Story

Here you go, Genki!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I AM LOSING MY MIND!

This game is so freakin' stupid!!!!

I just had to 
    You're not going to believe this. I swear. :

NONONONONONONOOOO!!!!! 
     Overreaction  Overreaction  Overreaction
      SOS!  SOS!  SOS! 

faceplant  faceplant  faceplant
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Seriously?? OH!  Oh my gosh... That is so... STUPID!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:59 pm

luvtoread wrote:From you,  esme,  the game sounds more funny than scary!   Too bad you don't
    have the option of letting the mummy get James!   Snicker 
    Here is my dream game.

When something utterly stupid happens and you've warned and warned and warned the moron in the lead role but he doesn't listen to you anyway, you get to leave. You get to go up to him as he's stuck in, oh say a sarcophagus for example, and say "I told you so, you dumb bunny!" and then turn around and leave. You can walk all the way back out of the big stupid mansion filled with the stupidest people God (or Elephant Games) ever created and get back on your stupid partner's boat that he won't be needing what with being all stuck in the sarcophagus and all and sail my happy butt home. I can even live in a relatively clean and organized house with no smoke monsters or mysterious cloaked figures, and I won't have to keep gluing/cleaning/fixing/solving a da*n thing because Wonder Boy is still chilling in the mess of his own making. 

Man, does that sound like heaven. 

Or am I just a crazy old curmudgeon?  Old Days
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:13 pm

genkicoll wrote:Seriously?? OH!  Oh my gosh... That is so... STUPID!

Yup.

But I'm sure someone will say, 
    Might as well spoiler this too... not that it's going to make the game any more logical:

And then I will probably start having an eye twitch and people should probably back slowly away.  Gah!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Belly laugh  Thanks---I cannot stop laughing!

Has anyone ever watched Pumpkinhead 2? Your spoiler reminded me of that movie.
    Lance Henrikson tells the girl what has to be done to be rid of pumpkin head, but does
    she listen right away? NOOO....

They all pretty much just go right to their deaths, cause apparently they just didn't get
    it that the person before them died, so lets just do what they did, even ol' gramps in
    the wheelchair gets in on it. Meanwhile, ol' pumpkin head is just having himself a
    grand ole blood bath.

Somebody needs to ask Elephant Games who comes up with these stupid ideas.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:34 pm

I tried the new Dire Grove demo and was so disappointed! Gah!  Actually I didn't even last that long because I disliked everything about it - the voices, the story, the lame game actions... 'Let's see, I need a code to open my suitcase and ah! Here it is written right on the case!' That's a puzzle? I was underwhelmed and bored the entire time. The original Dire Grove is a true classic. Just leave it alone, please, and for sure don't involve Elephant Games.  Yeah right
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:49 pm

LMAO! Esme, are you still playing Ancient Bane or whatever it's called?

luvtoread, I vaguely remember Pumpkinhead. A series of horror movies from the 80's maybe? DH and I were watching part of Halloween 2 today & between the both of us, we couldn't remember the crazy bad dude's name. We finally got it - Michael Myers. I thought it was Jason, then I remembered Jason is from the Friday the 13th movies and Freddie Krueger is from the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

I recall when Mystery Trackers: Raincliff came out, oh man, I loved that game. I enjoyed EG's Lost in the City games previously.
    IMO, EG has an impressive amount of outstanding games released. But something's happened recently & I'm finding I can settle for an SE, if I even get that. Maybe for a first-time player, their games would be simply amazing. But for me, not so much anymore. It's really a hit or miss type thing with me concerning the quality of their newest offerings. I do realize it would be very difficult to please everyone (some say "too hard", "too easy", "no jump map" and so forth). I do like a harder game, but not so hard it takes the fun out of playing.

Which brings me to New York Mysteries: Secrets of the Mafia, boy-oh-boy, is this game difficult and I'm really liking it! Everything's hard, HO scenes, puzzles, spotting the morphing items & collectibles. The strange storyline is keeping my interest and I absolutely love this developer's graphics, they're so sharp and clear. I think they should do a true D&E game. I'm sure it would be awesome, really.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Dream Hunter? What's its full name? I don't remember it. Oh! Is that the dream chronicles demon hunters? Something like tht?
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Sorry about that. I keep getting my games all mixed up.  Embarrassed 

It's Demon Hunters: Chronicles from Beyond - The Untold Story

(the title is too long for me to get right!)
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Well, I just had my first skip in New York Mysteries.  Cry

I had to stop & rest for a minute. 

I think I'll go rest with a book.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 am

I'm just sick of games that feel like somebody just "phoned it in" instead of putting some creativity into it. The Smoke Monster Effect seems to be indicative of this trend. Not every creepy crawly has to be made of smoke. Not all scary stories need to have a missing grandfather/uncle/dad who is a famous scientist/inventor/researcher... 

I'm craving some originality. And I'm not getting it.  Cry 

I fully understand that I am probably a lot harder to please than I once was. I've played a LOT of these games. I'm familiar with the patterns. I know what to expect.  However, I also know that I can still be surprised and that not all developers stick to the same formula. You can do a cool game with new twists if you try. I hope.

I'm with DJ too on the CE/SE thing. I'm right about at the point where I'm going to stop getting CEs because nothing they do really blows me away much anymore. It's discouraging.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 am

djrum wrote:I recall when Mystery Trackers: Raincliff came out, oh man, I loved that game. I enjoyed EG's Lost in the City games previously.
    IMO, EG has an impressive amount of outstanding games released. But something's happened recently & I'm finding I can settle for an SE, if I even get that. Maybe for a first-time player, their games would be simply amazing. But for me, not so much anymore. It's really a hit or miss type thing with me concerning the quality of their newest offerings.
    Agreed. I really liked Lost in the City, and when Raincliff came out - man, I thought I'd died and gone to (casual game) heaven. It was almost unbelievably good: plot, graphics, music, puzzles that made you think - WOW, so well crafted!!!  Two thumbs up  Elephant had a bunch of good games and ideas after that but it does feel like they've become more phone-it-in these days. Could it also be because we're jaded? That's possible, because while I still appreciate an excellent new game it's harder to be really impressed. Thing is, I often prefer smaller budget games that feature original mechanics. The big-name splashy ones seem so predictable.  Rolling Eyes 

That said, I didn't mind the reworking of Madame Fate. I think Elephant did a great job and it was a really fun game that honored the spirit of the original. Dire Grove, however, remains a perfectly eerie and satisfying little stand-alone (i.e. non-Ravenhearst) masterpiece that needs NO such "revisiting".

ETA - Just reread that luvtoread liked DG:SG, lol.  Oh well I guess I'm very picky... I remember strongly disliking the second Stray Souls which turned out to be a hit here.  Whistle
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 am

I don't think it's a matter of being too picky! LOL We all have different tastes and things that appeal or put us off. I was one of the ones who loved the second Stray Souls. I think because it didn't try to be all fancy-schmantzy. It was plot-driven and the graphics were good. But I fully realize that everyone has their own ideas of what makes a game great. That is why I do feel sorry for the devs at times because they try to make us all happy, but there's little excuse for laziness and formulaic game-play.

At least IMO.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Some very valid issues brought up here. I think we all agree...we're bored with formulaic games.

I also look for the lower budget games. I don't need all the bling associated with today's CEs. I prefer an interesting plot and good gameplay over morphing items and collectibles. Of course, I can't ever find all my morphing items or collectibles and after awhile, I don't care whether I find them or not.
    But that's just me.

I do feel like the developers have a hard enough time thinking up game ideas and I'm not trying be unappreciative. Maybe it is the fact I'm jaded. I've been playing for a long time now.
    On the other hand, I can still be blown away by certain games.
    And I will continue to purchase games. This is my relaxation, hobby, whatever you want to call it and I don't see me giving it up anytime soon.  Big smile  

I also believe EG did a fantastic job with Madame Fate, even though the puzzles were killers! I've got my eye on replaying it soon (gonna try and NOT skip any puzzles this time).

I loved both Stray Souls!! And if a third one ever comes out, I'll get it, too!  Laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:07 pm

The Smoke Monster Effect needs to go & I hope it takes the Cute Critter Helper with it.
    I love animals, I just don't want them or need to see them in my games.

If we're talking a serious D&E game, IMO, what's NOT seen is more frightening than what we can see. My imagination will conjure up all sorts of threatening bad dudes with the right mix of story, graphics and music.
    For this reason, I refuse to go camping. In a canvas tent? No way. Bears, assorted mean animals & axe murderers is what I imagine going camping would be like. DH laughs it off, but I'm serious. We did go camping (I made two trips out of this, first & last).
    Every single noise, shadow, the trees, the wind had me spooked. I didn't sleep a wink all night.
    That was the end of camping for me!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Jessica says:

Dark Parables: Ballad of Rapunzel CE

Fright CE

Yay, I can't wait!!!!!!  Happy bounce
    kac

Post by kac Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 pm

From what I hear Outlast from Steam is supposed to be pretty scary.  You don't have a weapon and must sneak and hide from the monsters that lurk below.  I got it free for the Playstation and haven't tried it yet cause I don't really like scary games, but I'm tempted to.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:58 pm

djrum wrote:I also look for the lower budget games. I don't need all the bling associated with today's CEs. I prefer an interesting plot and good gameplay over morphing items and collectibles. Of course, I can't ever find all my morphing items or collectibles and after awhile, I don't care whether I find them or not.
    LOL at the morphing games -- is anyone else like me? Most of the big-names games have so many locations, etc that I can't play in one sitting, or even one day. In most instances when I play some more I've totally forgotten about the morphs (or other collectibles) until nearer the end.  Embarrassed  CEs are wasted on me.  Snicker
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:18 pm

I couldn't tell you the last time I finished a game in one sitting. Generally, it takes me about 3-4 days to finish a game.
    Sometimes I forget what I've done & what needs to be done & that's when the jump map comes in mighty handy.

lol, kac! I still have to finish Fatal Frame 3 on the PS2. I'm too scared and I don't want to have nightmares.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:12 am

I couldn't say when I last finished one in on sitting either. My tush just does not have the stamina anymore!  Silly face 

I have time today, and am thinking of playing a game, but was so disappointed with the last one that I'm hesitant to start a new one. I won't even play the bonus section of King Tut's House of Comedy... or whatever it was called.  pfft
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:52 am

I was blown out of the water first by Raincliff, which held my #1 spot for ages. Then, at genki's recommendation, fell in love with Lost In The City, which I'd written off for the poor graphics, and then Fates Carnival! I thought Elephant did a spectacularly true to the original job - so much so I was as frustrated with it as I was with the initial Madame Fate, for the same reasons lol.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

Hurry, quick!  Get Still Life 2 for FREE on GOG's Front Page for the next hour!  Just scroll down until you see the offer, then click on it!
    kac

Post by kac Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:54 am

Picked it up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:44 pm