Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes

Post by genkicoll on Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 am

by 8Floor Games - May, 2013

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    GameHouse as Platinum Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin as Collector's Edition /

The gates to another world will open soon! You can stop the impending disaster - if you track down the stolen runes! Vanessa is the only heiress of Abraham Van Helsinga, a member of the secret order of light guarding world peace. And now  she has to find the stolen runes that were sealed inside the gate, behind which lurks an ancient evil.

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• An exciting bonus game
    • An integrated, step-by-step strategy guide
    • Concept art
    • Downloadable wallpapers
    • More than 200 objects to find!

For the Standard Edition

• Strategy Guide
    • Blog Walkthrough ( Big Fish)

Click images to enlarge

Last edited by genkicoll on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am; edited 4 times in total

To the world you may be one person;
    but to one person you may be the world.

Re: Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:06 am

First, the INTRO really gets your attention in this game, and the ATMOSPHERE of tension and fear continues even once things quiet down.

While I remember, the MUSIC & AMBIENT sounds are REALLY ominous, and some of the best I’ve heard, adding to the tension. There are muttered incantations, moans, organ music. The GRAPHICS also depict some FRIGHTENING stuff, and are very PHOTOREALISTIC and clear.

Because of the nature of the game, though, they tend to be A BIT DARK. Not all the time, but enough to be noticed.

The STORY has us off to rescue our GRANDFATHER, who is a member of the ORDER OF THE LIGHT, and has taken off through a PORTAL to other worlds in order to recover ANCIENT RUNES that are needed to seal the PORTAL OF EVIL. These have been stolen and are now scattered throughout the MANY WORLDS. The first one is quite creepy.

As we travel, we will meet characters whose allegiance has to be questioned at this stage, we just can’t be sure of anyone. Our grandfather manages to send us MESSAGE CAPSULES from wherever he is, I never figured out how, giving us CLUES & BACKSTORY. These are COLLECTIBLES of a sort I guess.

The GAMEPLAY is balanced fairly EVENLY between HOS and PUZZLES. Based on the SG demo, this balance continues the whole game. There are 2 KINDS of HOS, INTERACTIVE LIST & MISPLACED OBJECTS. The PUZZLES vary in difficulty, but overall were NOT VERY HARD.

There seems to be a FOCUS on the ADVENTURE component of the game, but it is not too difficult. The MAP gives ACTIVE ZONES and allows you to JUMP there. The HINT is DIRECTIONAL.

From the SG CONTENTS PAGE I got the impression this game is fairly long, plenty of CHAPTERS, but on closer examination, the chapters are each QUITE SHORT, and now I realise that so is the game.

I decided to wait for the SE on this one, and I am glad I did. I’d have been disappointed if I’d paid CE price for a game as SHORT but INTERESTING and NOT AMAZING.

As a SE, I think this game is just right.

I recommend this game!

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:02 pm